Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever replaced a KelTec front sight? I was going to use a punch and hammer to push the old sight out.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The easiest way (and that recommended by Kahr for a similar type front sight) is to use a good pliers, grip the front blade and twist the front sight off. This will break the blade loose from the studs going through the slide. Be very careful not to touch or scratch the slide with the pliers. Then use a small punch or similar tool to push the remianing part of the studs through the slide holes , out thorugh the inside of the slide. Again, use a punch small enough not to scratch or damage the slide or the holes in it.

To replace the sight, insert the sight with the studs going into the holes in the slide. Seat the sight firmly on the slide, being sure that there are no gaps and the bottom of the blade is fully on the slide. Turn the slide over, and looking inside, you will see the studs slightly protruding from the holes (which are beveled out a bit on the inside). Using something like a heated screw driver blade, spread the studs down, locking the sight in place. Be sure the studs are smoothed down so as not to protrude or interfere with the barrel, and you are done.

Jim R

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PF9Newbie said:
The easiest way (and that recommended by Kahr for a similar type front sight) is to use a good pliers, grip the front blade and twist the front sight off. This will break the blade loose from the studs going through the slide. Be very careful not to touch or scratch the slide with the pliers. Then use a small punch or similar tool to push the remianing part of the studs through the slide holes , out thorugh the inside of the slide. Again, use a punch small enough not to scratch or damage the slide or the holes in it.

To replace the sight, insert the sight with the studs going into the holes in the slide. Seat the sight firmly on the slide, being sure that there are no gaps and the bottom of the blade is fully on the slide. Turn the slide over, and looking inside, you will see the studs slightly protruding from the holes (which are beveled out a bit on the inside). Using something like a heated screw driver blade, spread the studs down, locking the sight in place. Be sure the studs are smoothed down so as not to protrude or interfere with the barrel, and you are done.

Jim R
Thank you very much

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tape the Slide to Protect It

PF9Newbie has it just right. It's always good, though, to put some masking tape around the front sight, right up to it, to help you not slip with pliers and nick your slide. jrh

·
Registered
718 Posts
Holes are very tight. The way I get the new sight on is to get it started in the holes and then tap the slide top side down on the new sight on the bench. sound changes when it's set all the way down. Melt with a small soldering iron.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received an answer about NIGHT SIGHTS from Diamondback. DB had advertised on their website that good quality night sights would be available soon. Here is part of that email.

"The night sights should be back from the lamping company by the end of this month (April 2012). We have approximately 600 back ordered production guns to take care of first & then they will be available for individual purchase. The price should be $125 & we will post them on the website when they are available. There is a huge calling for them, so this batch will most likely sell out quickly."

I have both a PF9 and DB9. So, I measured both distances between front sight posts with a micrometer best I could. They are the same or very very close (5mm). The diameter of the holes is difficult to know without removing both sights. Eyeballing it - looks identical. The real question is do you want to pay $125 for night sights or $60 more for a good laser sight? You can spend less for a rail mounted laser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll bet lasers are the best answer for most people.
A few will always want to stay more hidden, which
not turning on a laser will help. Others feel the
glaring point of a laser more than compensates
for revealing one's position. (by the way, who
stalks, or lurks, with a 3" barrel pistol?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have any of you had issues with your factory front sight falling off as the slide cycles when firing? If so, what did you do to replace it? This happened to me at the range today.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Have any of you had issues with your factory front sight falling off as the slide cycles when firing? If so, what did you do to replace it? This happened to me at the range today.
Just order a replacement from kt. They will probably send one for free but otherwise they cost $1. Easy to install, get it started and turn slide upsidedown and tap sight the rest of the way flush. Then use a soldering iron or heat the tip of a screwdriver with a propane torch and melt the legs flush with the bottom of the slide.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did that thing where you drill a hole through the front sight and put in a short piece of day-glo filament and then melt the ends slightly to keep them from moving. One other thing I did was to use a tiny drill bit to put holes along the top and sides so that the filament has more availability to light sources.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts