Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I ordered a Northwood trigger (which came in about two days after ordering it :)) and as I was disassembling my PF9 I noticed that something looked very wrong with the frame. If you look at the picture below, you'll see that it pretty much shattered where the arrow is pointing.

I sent it off to Kel-Tec, they received it April 2nd and said I should be getting it back this week. I mainly posted this to warn fellow owners to check this area of your PF9 frame out whenever you do a maintenance check to make sure you catch the problem before something worse happens during firing.

I don't know if this break in the frame could have led to a catastrophic failure, but I sure do like my hands a lot and I'll bet you all like yours, too :)

P.S. My PF9 is about 2 years old with maybe 400 rounds through it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Old ones had piece there connecting both sides,it breaking as per KT is fine.
New ones don't,looks like they just break it off
during assembly.
You may have sent it in for no reason.
Plus my pictures were better lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody with Ernest Borgnine as their avatar will ALWAYS have better pictures. Weird, I described it to the person over the phone at Kel-Tec and they seemed like they had no idea what I was talking about. First day on the job? Thanks for the post check though! :)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As noted, there was a small "bridge" piece in that spot that was left over from the machining process. This piece has no structural purpose, just used in the machining process, but it usually would break off from the hammer going forward in cleaning. This often caused a lot of phone calls to Kel Tec, so they started breaking this piece out during assembly just to save on unnecessary phone calls. Started to remove the piece at the factory some years ago, so it is very surprising that someone at KT would tell you to send it in for this, unless they are either new at the job, or just misunderstood what part of the frame you were referring to. Sorry you had to lose use of your PF-9 for no real reason. Hope they paid for the shipping on this.

Jim R

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
It's often difficult to describe something perceived as broken over the phone (or in a post) using only words. In fact, had you only posted a description of your issue to this thread, you'd have been swarmed with 'Post A Pic' replies. It's very possible that if you'd have emailed the picture to the service rep, they may have told you it was normal... But that's just guessing... After the fact. :)

If your pistol comes back and the serial number has an 'A' tacked onto the end of it, you'll know they replaced the frame.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True about being hard to describe over the phone, and the person I talked to was very rushed (to the point of rudeness really, as in, "are you stupid, just send it to us") to have me send it in. Next time I'll check here with the real experts first! Having to carry my Glock 26 for a month now really makes me miss how much lighter the PF9 is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts