Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PF9 (mfg date 11/2010) had over over 400 flawless rounds through it with everything from brass reloads to JHP+P. It would honestly eat anything I fed it with no complaints.

It recently started Failing to Extract/Eject at least once or twice in every magazine. After I fired a round, the spent brass would come about halfway out of the chamber and the new round would jam underneath. I would have to release the mag and pry it out of the grip then cycle the action, reinsert the magazine and cycle the action again.
I've got 3 magazines and it happened on all of them. I called Kel-Tec and they sent me an ejector, extractor and extractor spring (for free). Changed them out and still didn't fix the problem so I decided to go on a hunt for the cause.

Polish the Feed Ramp - Always a good idea but didn't cure the problem.
Soften the transition lip to the chamber - helped with FP/HP ammo but still had FTE's.
Polish the barrel - it looks really nice but didn't help.
Clean/polish the guide rails - nope.

I finally thought to work the action very slowly by hand with a magazine full of snap caps. I noticed that I could reproduce the exact problem. The base of the cartridge was bumping and bouncing it's way up the bolt face. It would bounce in front of the extractor so the rim wasn't hooked by the claw. I checked the bolt face and there were 2 horizontal ridges that where the blueing had worn off.

I used a polishing stone on my dremel to make the bolt face mirror smooth and flat. I also slightly rounded the back of the barrel so it wouldn't have a sharp edge digging into the bolt face when the action cycled.

Results - I ran 200 rounds through my PF9 at the range today. 50 cheap reloads, 50 UMC 115gr FMJ, 50 125gr Winchester PDX and 50 blazer brass 115gr FMJ. I didn't have a single problem! I'll run another 200 rounds through it before I trust it enough to be my primary carry again but I think the problem has been cured!

I love my PF9 again!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My buddies PF9 just came back from its trip to Florida because of slide pinging. They replaced slide and barrel and it would not run a full mag without at least one or two FTE.This morning I polished the chamber and feed ramp and doubled the extractor spring and used longer screw also checked to see if it held the shell case good. We went out and ran 4 mags through the gun and it performed flawless.:D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My PF9 (mfg date 11/2010) had over over 400 flawless rounds through it with everything from brass reloads to JHP+P. It would honestly eat anything I fed it with no complaints.

It recently started Failing to Extract/Eject at least once or twice in every magazine. After I fired a round, the spent brass would come about halfway out of the chamber and the new round would jam underneath. I would have to release the mag and pry it out of the grip then cycle the action, reinsert the magazine and cycle the action again.
I've got 3 magazines and it happened on all of them. I called Kel-Tec and they sent me an ejector, extractor and extractor spring (for free). Changed them out and still didn't fix the problem so I decided to go on a hunt for the cause.

Soften the transition lip to the chamber - helped with FP/HP ammo but still had FTE's.

I finally thought to work the action very slowly by hand with a magazine full of snap caps. I noticed that I could reproduce the exact problem. The base of the cartridge was bumping and bouncing it's way up the bolt face. It would bounce in front of the extractor so the rim wasn't hooked by the claw. I checked the bolt face and there were 2 horizontal ridges that where the blueing had worn off.

I used a polishing stone on my dremel to make the bolt face mirror smooth and flat. I also slightly rounded the back of the barrel so it wouldn't have a sharp edge digging into the bolt face when the action cycled.

Results - I ran 200 rounds through my PF9 at the range today. 50 cheap reloads, 50 UMC 115gr FMJ, 50 125gr Winchester PDX and 50 blazer brass 115gr FMJ. I didn't have a single problem! I'll run another 200 rounds through it before I trust it enough to be my primary carry again but I think the problem has been cured!

I love my PF9 again!
This would be SUPER with a pic or two!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIRST AND FOREMOST, I'm not a gunsmith. I'm not telling you to try this. I'm just reporting what I did on MY OWN GUN. If you screw up your gun or injure yourself it's all on you.

I'm not much of a photographer and the dust really shows up under a bright light and huge magnification.
In one of the pictures of the bolt face you can see a horizontal line about 1/3 of the way down. That's where the ridge developed from bolt face hitting the barrel as the action cycled. The shadows and magnification really make it show up. You can't feel it or see it under normal lighting.
If you look at the sides of the feed ramp you may still see a few small milling marks. I didn't want to remove too much metal so I got it smooth and left it alone. You might be able to see where I rounded the bottom of the chamber lip. I've read that this makes the transition a little more reliable for HP and FP ammo. I don't know if it's true but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I love my PF9 again!
Like The other fella said if you don't mind could you post some pics of that work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted a few pictures. I haven't seen the post show up yet. I think they are waiting on the moderator to release the post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a similar set on Amazon so I'll post that link since I'm really a lousy photographer.
http://www.amazon.com/10pc-Diamond-Rubber-Emery-Polishing/dp/B005UD5D36

I used the conical pointed tip to get into the tight areas and the cylinder to do the flat spots. to polish the feed ramp, I just used a cotton rotary wheel and little silver polish. Flitz probably works as well or better but it's what I had handy.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
I posted a few pictures a few days ago. I think they're still waiting on moderator approval.
Here's a link to my photobucket album. See if this gets posted right away.
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/mikegray0422/
You used the wrong link for your picture posts. Drag your cursor over the picture, and select the bottom "IMG" code from the drop down menu. Click once over it and you should see a small "copied" pop up in the box. Then go to your post and paste the copied link. There is too much embedded code in your earlier post to be the correct link, and I can't figure out how to clean it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts