Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did keltec quit making the PF9? I have been looking for months with no luck.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Still making the PF-9.
They did discontinue the P11.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Did keltec quit making the PF9? I have been looking for months with no luck.
The PF9 is not (yet) discontinued. It is still in KT's catalogue and lineup. That said, KT may not be making any right now. KT is well known for making their guns in runs. They'll make 3 or 4 different models and not make the others, then they'll stop making those 3 or 4 so that they can make the ones they weren't. I very strongly suspect that KT isn't making any of their SD handgun line right now (PF9, P32, P3AT) because competitors like springfield and ruger are making designs with feature sets which are more attractive to customers. I suspect that KT is focusing on pumping out guns that are highly desirable in this current market such as the RDB, P17, and P50. Kel Tec ceded the market space that the P11 was in to Sig, Ruger, Springfield, and even SCCY now. I'm guessing they're planning on doing the same thing with the P3AT, just giving that up to Ruger's LCP MAX.

Now, I will say that I heard the barest whisper of an unconfirmed rumor that KT might be working on something involving the PF9. That's kind of interesting, but, to be 100% honest, if it isn't making a 12+1-ish round, striker-fired, version of the PF9, then the PF9 line is doomed (which is what they should have done with the P11).

All that said, no, the PF9 is not discontinued. Even if they are making them right now, given the current gun buying climate, they're going to be hard to find. Maybe you could ask your LGS to order one?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PF9 is not (yet) discontinued. It is still in KT's catalogue and lineup. That said, KT may not be making any right now. KT is well known for making their guns in runs. They'll make 3 or 4 different models and not make the others, then they'll stop making those 3 or 4 so that they can make the ones they weren't. I very strongly suspect that KT isn't making any of their SD handgun line right now (PF9, P32, P3AT) because competitors like springfield and ruger are making designs with feature sets which are more attractive to customers. I suspect that KT is focusing on pumping out guns that are highly desirable in this current market such as the RDB, P17, and P50. Kel Tec ceded the market space that the P11 was in to Sig, Ruger, Springfield, and even SCCY now. I'm guessing they're planning on doing the same thing with the P3AT, just giving that up to Ruger's LCP MAX.

Now, I will say that I heard the barest whisper of an unconfirmed rumor that KT might be working on something involving the PF9. That's kind of interesting, but, to be 100% honest, if it isn't making a 12+1-ish round, striker-fired, version of the PF9, then the PF9 line is doomed (which is what they should have done with the P11).

All that said, no, the PF9 is not discontinued. Even if they are making them right now, given the current gun buying climate, they're going to be hard to find. Maybe you could ask your LGS to order one?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is something I've been wondering myself for several months. I work in a gun shop and am the KelTec nut at our place, so I'm always looking to see what I can bring in to the store. The PF9 and now the P3AT have not even shown as options when searching KelTec firearms at all in our distributor databases. Combine this with a recent George Kellgren interview via TFB.tv in which he discusses the idea of reintroducing the P-11 and his response is simply a quirky smile and that "something way better" is on the way - I believe both the PF9 & P3AT are on the way out. This possibility has slowed down my search for the next handgun I "need to have".

Honestly I've never found the 380 to be an impressive round and I would not hesitate to abandon that market to refresh the 32 ACP options. The 380 market is flooded with choices, I think it would make sense for KelTec to attempt to fill a niche with a new, "high capacity" variant of the P-32. If there is one thing the PMR has proven it is that people love their high capacity pistols.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think either Keltec is behind on production, or they are focusing on other firearms. It's been hard to find any PF9, P3AT, or P32s for awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts