Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there were many, many posts on this issue. Even the Hickock video showed a couple of fails on his PF9 eval. I don't care if there is a certain way to stand or hold your hand/fingers - if you are in a situation that you need to shoot you grab the grip and pull the trigger. You are not stopping to think "Well, my left foot is here so my right foot needs to be there and turn 47 1/2 degrees to the right. My thumb should be pull back slightly and above this point on the grip......." That is nonsense unless you are doing pure target practice for accuracy. Keltec does recognize the poor design but states that they no intention of fixing it. Does anyone have a fix? I have one but I would need to alter and damage the grip. Since the grip is not replaceable, my idea doesn't sound like a good one. I have not seen a slip on friction band that would work but if there is one out there I would like to try it.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You're not giving us much info...what design flaw? You never say?

And I really doubt Kel Tec told you they were aware of a flaw, but they aren't going to fix it. That would be just stupid for a company to do...business wise.

There's lot's and lot's of fixes for a variety of problems...but again, you never say what the problem is?

Slip on grip? There's dozens and dozens of them out there. Way too many to list.

The grip isn't replaceable? Says who? Kel Tec sells them every day...they're listed by part number right on their website.

Oh, and welcome to KTOG.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless there are more flaws than the one, I am talking about the thumb passing over the release button during the "kickup" when fired. That drops the magazine and you have shot the only round you had until you slap the magazine back and rack the slide again. And yes, Keltec (at least the rep I spoke with ) acknowledged the problem. Watch the Hickok review and he has the issue twice. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdd44jfgrLo[/ame]

As far as replacing the grip - I feel so silly - I should have realized that I can replace the grip by replacing the whole frame - since it a single mold part.
Getting back to the friction bands, I am not familiar with any of the manufacturers that carry PF9 grips. I called a couple of places local and they told me they were not aware of any but that doesn't mean there isn't any out there. I have seen tape but nothing else.

Thanks - sorry for being facetious but I am not happy with Keltec - at least their PF9.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
The grip is the "plastic" part...the frame is aluminum and a completely separate part of the pistol.

Large hands can be a problem in shooting any small pistol. I wouldn't call it a design flaw. The only other thing I can say about accidentally hitting the mag release...my PF-9 has way over 7000 rounds through it and I've never hit the mag release when I didn't intend to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any chance they changed the design midstream? There is no way to separate the grip from the lower frame without a saw on mine. It is all one solid piece of composite except for the metal inlay that is held in with pins.

I would say you are lucky that you got one that worked right. Even Hickok had two "drops" in his review. If you start googling for reviews there are a disproportionate amount of fails for the PF9. I've only put about 300 rounds through mine but that may be it for me. It's up for sale.

Thanks though for the comments. Appreciate them.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
No, there has been no design change insofar as the frame and the grip. That "metal inlay" IS the frame of this pistol...it's the same on all Kel Tec pistols. The frame is held within the grip by a couple of pins. You drive them out (following instructions) and the frame lifts free of the grip. Have you ever read the instructions to your PF9? Because it shows very clearly how the frame can be removed from the grip.

No, mine is far...very far from being a "lucky" PF9. Most work and function just fine, a very few need to be tweaked or adjusted to get them to work correctly. In quite a few cases, all that needs to be done is to teach a new owner how to hold the pistol and fire the pistol correctly.

Of course you read all kinds of junk about PF9's...no one posts when they work right. But boy do they gripe if they don't work the way expected.

Have you even tried anything to make yours run better? Like install a new mag release button? Tried different mags? Clean, oil and lube frequently? Tried a different grip on the pistol? Has anyone else shot yours to see if it's the shooter and not the weapon? Sent it back to Kel Tec and see if they can fix it? Etc, etc, etc......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another new person shows up to complain and bash the PF9. I've owned one for years and like haugrdr, have never had the magazine drop while shooting the pistol. I do have small hands, but it takes a conscious effort to activate the mag release. The OP makes enough incorrect statements about the PF9 that I wonder if he actually owns one or has read the instruction manual. Mine wears a piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip and I like that just fine, thank you. I carry it regularly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What I would suggest is tape grips, like something from Talon Grips (https://talongungrips.com/grips/kel-tec/pf-9.html). Not only does this add more grip for a better feel and handling, but also slightly thickens the panels which would technically raise the grip area around the mag release, thus making it more "sunken" in and less likely to be depressed. If that's not enough, you could always file down the mag release a bit (but do so at your own discretion).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Inadvertent magazine drop is not a common problem. I've had mine more than a couple of years, hasn't happened to me yet. The OP shows up ranting about an issue I really haven't ever heard of and accuses Kel Tec on not only knowing about it but refusing to fix it...ok. Maybe it happened to Hickok45, he is a big guy, big hands, oh well, I guess the PF9 isn't for him or the OP.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Does anyone have a fix?
Yep, that's one of the easy fixes!

Just pop the mag release out of the grip, and grind/file down a
few 'steps' from the top of the button.

You're just making it lower profile. It won't change the pressure
required to drop the mag, but will make the action a more
deliberate event.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STEVE912 - that sounds like a reasonable approach. Also, your PF9 has a different molding than mine. The finish is rough where mine is smooth (the problem). I looks like your release is a little different as well but not sure. I ordered a 3m friction wrap as STEPPINGCRANE suggested, that I will try first. But lowering the profile might be the next step. HAUGRDR - appreciate your input and I had in mind a slide on grip that would would slide on and form a ridge above the release that would keep the thumb from sliding down. I wasn't smart enough to figure out you were talking about the whole composite lower. Enjoy that Harley with the warm weather coming. You three guys were all helpful.

I am ignoring the two Hillary supporters that had nothing of value to say.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
You did come on a little strong and your first post in this thread was more of a rant than a question. I had no idea what the problem was until you clarified. There are a lot of smart, helpful people here so try to take it easy.

As for the problem you are having I've never had it happen with either of my pf9s. Sanding down the mag release is probably your best option. It's pretty easy to remove so you don't damage the grip. How does yours look different from that picture and could you post one of your's?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep, that's one of the easy fixes!

Just pop the mag release out of the grip, and grind/file down a
few 'steps' from the top of the button.

You're just making it lower profile. It won't change the pressure
required to drop the mag, but will make the action a more
deliberate event.
I've done this to my PF9 as well. Not that dropping the mag was a problem, I just wanted to have to make a more concerted effort to drop the mag when I wanted to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it may be an illusion but it looks like Steve912's molding has a rougher texture than mine. It is late in the day and I need to get a good in-sunshine pic. There is a trigger stop molded into the grip. And, the boss that surrounds the mag release looks high at the upper side than mine. Mine is just a really smooth transition tot the release button so the recoil or kick-up forces the thumb down, right over the release - even with a strong grip. On this pistol, I tend to have a limp wrist for some reason and an ejection failure. But it has had a bunch of FTFs with 115 gr, brand variety but all ballnose. I am going to try and get a better pic but even with this, the molding looks different.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
He must have added the trigger stop, that's not factory. Both of the pictures look like my both of my PF9's grip. Mine were bought several years apart so one was a pretty early production and the other was after some updates. As far as I know there wasn't much, if any change to the grip itself.

I would try a slip on grip first to prevent the mag catch from being pushed. If that doesn't work it should be pretty easy to file it down to make it flush. That's a pretty common modification people do to the P3s, having that problem is more common with them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
it may be an illusion but it looks like Steve912's molding has a rougher texture than mine. It is late in the day and I need to get a good in-sunshine pic. There is a trigger stop molded into the grip. And, the boss that surrounds the mag release looks high at the upper side than mine.
Might just be the lighting.

You can take a look at the little steps in the release button (with a mag inserted) and decide how low you'd like it to be. Press the release in until the mag pops, and see if your 'last step' line would be lower than the surface of grip or not.

I've done this on all my K-T pistols, starting with my first, a P3AT. You can see a lower release on the P-11 in background. Mr. Kelgren designs em' with high buttons, which is GOOD--adjusting them lower is easy, if you like a more positive action to release mags; if you like an easy press, you got it. Easier to please everyone that way, than if they came 'low'.

The trigger stop is the "White Trigger Stop", named after someone named...White. It's just a sliver of pencil eraser, blackened with a marker and crazy glued in place. Sounds awful, but is actually a pretty nice improvement to the trigger handling.

The sleeve is a piece from a bike inner tube that came from a Walmart clearance rack, for a buck.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Ya want to try a weird trick?

Shoot your PF9 one handed for awhile. Put a couple hundred rounds thru it one handed.

Bet you don't hit the mag release button even once. Take this weird bit of learned info and apply it towards changing your 2 handed grip and stance. See what happens...can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wasn't counting on it, thank you.
HAUGRDR- I will try the one hand and see what happens. I don't think I have the strength to keep from limp-wristing it though. At 68 I have lost a lost of my arm strength. (which no one wants to admit but I am being honest - clear back to the first post). My wife has a hard time shooting it for that reason as well so still Trying to find her a carry that she can find reliable for her.
I have some larger frames as well and it is just instinctive to grab by both hands facing forward. Interesting experiment though.
The friction tape I ordered will be here this week and I am anxious to try that. I replaced the plastic button with metal, hoping that would do it but it was only a minimal change. It might be worth a call to KT and see if they will send another button to modify but after the last conversation with a rep and their comments, I lost an confidence in customer care. But there bad experiences with any of them, "Lifetime guarantee" Kahr included.
I won't bug you guys any longer on this but I will try all of the suggestions until find one that works. Appreciate the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.