Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it's dependent upon the individual. Some report getting pinched between the step in the trigger at the top and the frame (I don't); some report getting pinched between the top of the finger and the triggerguard (I don't); others feel discomfort or trigger sting or trigger slap supposedly related to the shape of the trigger, the sharp recoil of the pistol or the design or a combination. That's where I am. I shot it back to back with a Kahr PM9, which I love to shoot, and the overall recoil impulse is very similar. However I get zero trigger finger pain with the Kahr and significant pain with the Kel-Tec. This makes the PF-9 FEEL like it kicks much harder but it's all in the trigger. Which is weird. I'll try heat shrink tubing and then try straightening it. If that doesn't work I'll try the aluminum trigger. I like this pistol but it hurts. Tips on the mods?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Try a heat gun first. I used a socket out of my toolbox that had a bigger diameter than the curve in the trigger. Squeezed it over the socket with a pair of needle nose vise grips, just enough to get flat on the socket. Put the heat gun on it a little till it took the shape of the socket, worked pretty well. If this doesn't suit you, try the heat shrink. Putting the Northwood trigger in is what you REALLY want to do, not only more comfortable, much more solid feel while shooting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had the same issue "develop" on my PF9. Found one of the "frame" screws loose. Removed it and used some blue locktite on it and symptom was gone. Why screw backed out loose, I have no idea but solved the issue.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
wait for the northwoods trigger upgrade to go on sale and do it...
single best mod possible for the pf9. You just had her all apart to do the trigger bar right? you already got the fun part down.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You don't need to wait for the triggers to go on sale...KTOG members get 20% off just for qualifying to get in the Trading Post...which is only 25 posts. You can even order it BEFORE you qualify...as soon as you get 25 posts, contact Pops at Northwoods and you'll get the discount.

Read this from the Northwoods page...

Recently, a few folks have emailed asking about the 20% KTOG trigger discount, and how to get to the Trading Post thread...

On Page 1 of this thread, there is a link to the KTOG Members Page at Northwood. On the Members Page, there is another link to the "Aluminum Trigger" thread on the KTOG Trading Post with the coupon code. However, you will still need your 25 posts, and be logged in to KTOG for access to the Trading Post ad in order to get the coupon code.
The Members Page explains how the discount works, and that it can still be used as a 20% "credit" back anytime with just a quick email to me once you acquire the 25 posts on KTOG. So folks can pick up a trigger now, and still get a credit back later on.

NOTE: The KTOG 20% discount code is not valid during store-wide sales events.
http://www.northwoodcomp.com/PF9Blog.aspx

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
I have found this helpful. When you fire the pf9, do not immediately release the trigger while the gun is in mid-recoil. Rather, squeeze the trigger and do not release until after the gun has finished the recoil. It is a matter of milliseconds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found this helpful. When you fire the pf9, do not immediately release the trigger while the gun is in mid-recoil. Rather, squeeze the trigger and do not release until after the gun has finished the recoil. It is a matter of milliseconds.
Thanks. Tried this and it's the way I usually shoot anyway. Still hurts. However if I use the tip of my finger rather than the pad it is a bit better. I have to shoot my LCP this way just because of the size.

Thanks for the info on the northwood discount!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't need to wait for the triggers to go on sale...KTOG members get 20% off just for qualifying to get in the Trading Post...which is only 25 posts. You can even order it BEFORE you qualify...as soon as you get 25 posts, contact Pops at Northwoods and you'll get the discount.

Read this from the Northwoods page...

http://www.northwoodcomp.com/PF9Blog.aspx

very cool thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just tried to order the northwood trigger using the coupon code listed in the KTOG member page linked above... says it's invalid.

I won't post it here so as to comply with the wishes of the forum and Northwood, but any help would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
The discount code does not apply when there is a site wide discount already in effect.

Northwoods has a site wide 30% off sale going on right now...thats why you got the invalid message.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the Northwood trigger installed and it went smoothly. Directions on the website are excellent. Mine needs some more tweaking to get it to reset in all conditions (see below) but I couldn't wait and took it to the range. The reset thing is bizarre but in actual use it doesn't really come into play. Once the trigger is set/connected and the pistol is chambered (and then you press the dead trigger and let it go to reset it) it functions normally at the range because every time the slide locks back it's after pulling the trigger to fire the last shot, and as noted above, when you press the trigger and the slide moves rearward, the trigger resets.

Only time it doesn't reset is if you don't touch the trigger and you retract the slide, as in the first time you chamber a round, or after doing a press check or showing clear.

I still would rather it work as it should of course.

GOOD NEWS IS, THOUGH:
trigger sting is completely gone!
I was a skeptic how much difference it would make, and have heard mixed reviews, but in my case it completely cured the very bothersome and painful trigger sting. It's like a completely new pistol! Yaaaay! :cool:

I have every confidence that Pops from northwood will help me figure out the reset issue and it'll be 100% positive. I probably just need to shave a tad from the front of the trigger cutout but I'm waiting for feedback/advice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Only time it doesn't reset is if you don't touch the trigger and you retract the slide, as in the first time you chamber a round, or after doing a press check or showing clear.

I still would rather it work as it should of course.
Don't take this the wrong way, but unless this is a range toy, bring it to a gunsmith. You sound like you're over your head with this installation. Hobbysmithing is not the best idea on a defensive firearm. I've installed over a dozen of these triggers and sometimes they require fitting/knowledge/skillset beyond swapping parts. Good trigger, but not a drop-in. Be safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.