PF-9 and P-3AT Range Report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by streakpi, Mar 13, 2010.

1. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Shot my new guns PF9 & P-3AT (plus my trusty Walther PQQ9A) today for the first time.  I am going to start out by saying I am pretty much a novice shooter- I may shoot once a month, 100-200 rounds.  I don't know heads or tails about dremil-tool modifications and most of the time I'm happy to hit the target  ;D

Guns listed as good to not as good.

Walther P99QA.  Hehehe, I know it is not a Walther forum but heck...my 2 cents.  I just had Trijicon Night Sights installed on my 9mm and worked with a cheap laser boresight to give me a better POA.  I usually shoot low and to the waaaayy left with my Walther.  Today I shot a nice shot group low and to the right.  The SA of my P99 was so smooth, I could barely believe I was shooting.  Shot 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ bullets.  No issues at all.  Wonderful day!

Kel-Tec P-3AT. I have never fired something as small as a compact .380.  I bought a box of L&B FMJ 92gr bullets and a box of Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection 90gr HP to fire.  I cleaned the gun prior to shooting to remove any shipping muck and barrel lint.  No issues with dis-assembly or assembly of the gun- too easy.  Anyway- go to the range, loaded a mag, and shot....wait....now I shot....wait...when will it go bang!?  The long trigger pull was unbelievable, I thought I had a hang fire...had to keep pulling the trigger to shoot.  Once I did, it behaved well.  Shot a box of 50 L&B with NO issues.  Shot 20 rounds ($27 bucks, ugh!) of SGD with no issues.  I shot at 7 yards and hit the target pretty much where I aimed.  Since there are no sights and this is a pure defense gun, I simply aimed and squeezed the trigger.  LOVED the gun.  Only obvious issues are the size and grip.  This thing about jumped out of my hand after each round.  The grip was slippery and I could only keep 2-3 fingers on it at a time.  I will have to figure out how to hold this thing so that I can squeeze the trigger without hitting my non-firing fingers.  End state- loved the gun!

Kel-Tec PF9.  This is my first sub-compact 9mm.  I installed the CT laser and pachamyr grip before I shot.  I dis-assembed gun and cleaned it this morning.  PROBLEM:  I could not get this gun together.  Followed simple directions- but the barrel stayed loose in the slide.  Damn.  I went on this forum and followed some notes from a couple users.  Finally got the gun together- but did not appreciate the pain.  I used Winchester white box FMJ 115gr bullets.  Shot at 7yards from a seated position.  1st magazine...great...2nd magazine...great...3rd magazine- FTE.  4th magazine...FTE x 2.  5th magazine...great.  So, had 3 x Failure To Ejects.  Was I limp wristing?  I was pretty ****ed that this gun would not eject rounds.  I sprayed a little lube on my new gun and worked the gun several times.  Shot 3 more magazine with no issues.  2 issues:  I need to shave a bit off my rubber grip- it caught on a magazine during loading.  Caught my hand in the magazine well and took a chunk from my palm- my fault- need Pearce extensions on these small magazines.  2nd issue: the webbing between my thumb and fore-finger was rubbed raw.  Man, it is skinned up and slightly bleeding after 50 rds.  I need to sand down the underside of the gun just a little bit -that plastic really wore my skin down.  End state- the gun was a handful.  The stock was better with the rubber grip but the laser made the butt seem pretty cramped.  I need to practice more- only got 75 rounds through the gun before the range closed.

Well, not a bad day but a day of learning.  I have some work to do with the PF9.  I need a rubber grip for the P-3AT and need to adjust my sights on my Walther.  I'm open to comments if you have them.  

2. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I have to consciously hold my pf9 lower on the grip than feels natural or it eats me up too. In a defense situation I wouldn't care.

3. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Several threads with advice on that sore spot between thumb and forefinger. When practicing with say 50-100 rounds or more, you can always use some sort of tight glove or you can add a number of different kinds of "padding" at that point on the firearm. I use a form of mole skin that my wife uses when she ice skates--it has a sticky back, can be cut to form and you can always fortify with a little silicone glue--works great--no blood and guts anymore. Use search on this and other forums for additional suggestions--they are out there.

4. C-Ration

C-Ration Member

Mar 2, 2010
    My P3AT came with a custom stippling job. It really seems to help with the not chewing up my hand problem. I also have the pinkey grip extender on the mag which really helps with recoil control.

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    There are too sights. They're just small and need a little paint ;)

6. streakpi

streakpi New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Shot another 100 rounds with my P3AT today- no problems at all.  It ate ammo and spit lead on target like a champion.  Of course it was NOT fun to fire...but I feel pretty good that it will go bang if I had to squeeze the trigger.  Going to sign up for an NRA-sponsored weapons defense class to teach me a bit more of defensive fundamentals- I'm definitely not an expert with these little guns (PF9 and P3AT).  Probably need some practice drawing and engaging targets with this lil bugger.

Again, love the P3AT- it's small, it's ugly, its plastic...but it works.  

[​IMG]