Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized after countless posts about problems with the Kel Tec PF-9 and think for most of those problems the same thing is being done over and over again. I use 115 all Brass FMJ ammo only. No Issues. But everyone thatstates they had a problem are using evrything under the sun especially when Kel Tec states to use only Factory Brass ammo ONLY. But if you go to you tube or forum posts like here people are using everything from steel, aluminum and reloads. No wonder why there are problems. Sure there maybe a defect here and there like any other type of gun but most of these problems I believe are from people who are not heeding Kel Tecs warning. Shoot only Factory Brass ammo and only use up to 124 grain. But again people want to do what they do and hence you get problems for not listening. I spoke to them at Kel Tec and unfortunately the are honoring the warranty on the PF-9's but do realize most are these are caused by people not using the correct ammo per Kel Tec. Again no expert just my two cents worth. But if you do the math it's a no brainer the numbers don't lie. People are not following what they should be following per ammo requirements. Hence you will always have problems for not following the rules set forth by the Company. Remember it's their product they know what is best when it comes to ammo......................food for thought.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Use of non "standard" or recommended ammo may contribute or even cause some problems with the PF-9, but certainly not always, or even primarily. I have never used anything but standard 115 grain factory loads (PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, Federal) and Speer 115 grain Gold Dots in either of my two PF-9s. (these are loadings that Kel Tec uses in its testing). Yet both are now down and out of action due to cracked slides. So, while I would always recommend staying with factory acceptable loadings, I don't think non-standard loadings (with the possible exception of +P, and even those are acceptable to Kel Tec in minimum use) are the primary cause of PF-9 issues.

Jim R

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took my brand new PF-9 to the range this week and got 2 or 3 failures to extract in every magazine of brass cased S&B 115 grain FMJ. I've never had a reliability problem with S&B ammo before, in ANY caliber, so... yeah, I think I'll blame the stinkin' gun.

·
Banned
319 Posts
never had an issue with my pf9 bought it on valentines day and have around 500-600 rounds through it but ive only used remington umc and federal 115 grain from wally world

·
Registered
174 Posts
My first PF9, which I returned to Kel Tec for a refund, would not handle a steady diet of all the recommended factory ammo. It never saw a reload. The PF9 I have now operates beautifully after over 800 rounds, all but about 20 being reloads.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My PF-9 is very happy with Winchester white box 115g JHPs, Federal silver box 115g JHPs, and Federal red box 124g FMJs. It's not too fond of Tualammo 124g FMJs (steel case) - spits 'em up every once in a while and fails to fire annoyingly often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have fired several boxes of JHP's through two PF-9's. Speer Gold Dot, Federal Premium and Remington Golden Saber with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have also fired some Cor-Bon with no problems, but I have not shot as many rounds with these. It appears all these do well with the PF-9.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am no expert but i will share my little experience and some info from the range personel where I fire at.. The PF9 is one of those carry more shoot less pistols.. My PF9 shoots flawlessly on its first 50 rounds but I experience FTEs if i shot 100 rounds in one session.. Usually on the last 2 mags. I think my hands are sore and it might be operator's fault.. Its my fault.. I use federal 115 fmj and remington umc 115 JHP.

On the other hand, we must also consider that every pistol is never the same as the other.. And how the owner treat them also different.. In short, what may work for you, may not work for me and vice versa.. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is true. I think your hold & technic is important & any bad habits make things worse. I suggest shooting only as many rounds as you feel "comfortable" with & taking a break or calling it a day. Otherwise you will develop bad habits like jerking, flinching, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ammo mine likes and dislikes

I have owned my PF9 for about two years now and have found the only malfuntions that can be attributed to the ammo always come from Wolf/Tula/Herters steel case ammo. Not because of the steel case but because the primers seem to be made with a harder material. Mine will usually not fire at least one round in a magazine and about 50% of the time will fire that round on the second try. I have never had this problem with Federal, Winchester, Magtech, CCI, Blazer, or S&B. The only other time I experience malfuntions it is usually a smokestack jam caused by my poor technique or fatigue and when I return to proper hold and technique the problem is solved. These light weight small frames are very difficult to shoot properly and I find I must concentrate on the fundamentals of proper grip and trigger control or I get jams. I can get away with being sloppy with my full sized 9mm but with the PF9 I have to do it right. I will continue to feed the steel case stuff because it makes for very good practice for clearing jams and misfires but I would be reluctant to use any of it for my carry load that my life would depend upon, for that I will load up only with ammo that has not given any trouble. Tap-Rack-and Roll, back in action again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine never had a ammo problem, maybe some ammo needs a better grip than others:eek:
Exactly

I have never had a problem with mine either

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine seems to eat anything. 147 grain jhps, Blazer aluminum cased, no problem. Picky guns indicates a gun problem, not an ammo problem.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Mine seems to eat anything. 147 grain jhps, Blazer aluminum cased, no problem. Picky guns indicates a gun problem, not an ammo problem.
Perhaps with Full-Sized pistols... Not true anymore with Ultralight Subcompacts. Many are Ammo Selective.
Nano, Solo, as well as a few other 'Big Name' models.

As for problem ammo...
There are pics in some older threads showing the inconsistent OAL and 'rim shoulders' of Winchester 100 round Value Packs (as one example). While some FS pistols can handle the inconsistencies in ammo, some can not.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Scott, your post is a "head in the sand" approach to the problems of the PF9 written by someone who does not have a defective PF9. The multitude of pistols with failure to extract problems are not caused by improper ammo. Sure, some pistols are ammo selective, but it is not as simple as you portray it here. Shooting 147 grain or steel case ammo does not cause FTX, peening, shouldn't cause slide cracking and I doubt that it causes light strikes. I agree 115 g. may be the best performing and most pleasant ammo to shoot, but the extraction design, not the ammo is the problem.
When mine was new it wouldn't extract any ammo properly After applying fixes learned here, it will shoot any ammo. You will find several other members here with similar experiences.That should be proof enough that your idea has no merit. I just hate to see a reader with extraction problems waste money on a holy grail search for the right ammo when all they need is double spring or more bent spring or filed ejector.

·
Registered
65 Posts
well i am glad to be on this forum and mayby i can help some people out. i bought a new pf9 a few weeks ago. so i have shot 600 rnds through her with tha same faler to eject problem so i took it apart and polishe the feed and the breach verry well. so today i put fifty rounds through it again with winchester 115 and it has shot all most perfect i had two fte with the first two mags but after that it did flawless. i will keep you posted on how things go this next week. i like the gun so mutch i want it to be right.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
That should be proof enough that your idea has no merit.
Sorry but your short experiences with this gun do not compare with the 6 years of knowlege here on this forum. Yes, there is a very small percentage of these guns and all other weapons that may have some defect that needs to be addressed, but it is very clear that perfectly functioning PF9s and other weapons as well, can be ammo-selective. There are firearms manufactures that only recommend specific rounds. Does that mean all of their weapons are defective? Of course not. Nor does doubling the extractor spring or tuning the extractor automatically result in a gun that will digest any and all ammo 100%. Not all ammo is created equal. Not even close. If someone's pistol works perfectly with certain rounds but does not like others, the simple solution is to shoot what it likes. Especially with self-defense rounds, finding a good round that is reliable in your weapon is critical. Among experienced shooters, this is a common practice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've shot several rounds of ammo since I last posted & thought an update might help someone out. I primarily shoot 124 gr ammo. I have shot 147 gr & prefer the 124gr & also fire some 115gr ammo. It functions well & just a bit less recoil. I have shot some +p but prefer a premium std load.

I use Federal American Eagle, Fiocchi and Blazer brass for practice. I use these three in 124 gr. Nothing else. I buy & keep in thousand round lots & could go a year without a supplier. Old vet habit I guess.

I usually shoot minimum of 100 rounds & usually 200+. There is no substitute for practice.

For self defence I have good results with Cor-Bon, Federal Hydra shock, DPX, Ranger T.

I have had a minimum of problems with guns and/or ammo. I have other guns, but this is my selection for conceal carry & it has proven to work well for me so far & I am comfortable with it all. Ex military from 60-70's & come from rural background.

There are a lot of guns available today & seems everyone should be able to buy/shoot whatever they like. The PF9 probably won't last as long as some weapons, but it doesn't cost as much to replace if shot out or "lost". I have shot mine enough I am 100% comfortable with is as a concealed carry option.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts