personal defense ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bunky, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    what is the best personal defense ammo for the p3at ?

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX

3. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Good question. I keep reading that the hard ball is the best for this small .380. Some go for the penetration of the FMJ over the expansion of a HP. The argument being that in a pocket pistol like the P3AT or the Ruger LCP and others like it, up close and nasty is more than likely where it will be used. And as such, what with a short barrel, a HP round will not have the distance to expand properly.

I too would like some input on what self defense round to carry. Not a range round but one to use, if necessary, for every day carry.

4. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    In my mind it's the one that you can hit the target with plus works good in your gun. Trust me if you can hit what your shooting at, that's all that matters

5. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I think the biggest problem with the 380 round is the penetration depth, especially with the Hollow Points. I believe the HP penetrates somewhere around 8 inches and the FMJ a bit deeper, thats probably why some members favor the FMJ. I have been carrying Speer Gold Dot but I have seen reports on this forum by members who tested several different brands of ammunition and found that Remington Golden Sabre performed the best.
    Buffalo Bore has a reputation for producing some very hot loads but in my personal opinion I think its a bit to hot. I have heard that some manufacturers advise against using it, I did not read that personally so its basically hear say. Its important to test fire different ammunition through your gun to see what feeds properly and if one is more accurate than another, once you know what ammo works you then have a choice as to what brand you want to use. If I remember correctly the Remington Golden Sabre, CorBon DPX and the Speer GD were good choices.

6. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    do a search for that question. it's been discussed a *few* times. many here carry DPX, many others are golden sabre fans. others yet interleave JHP with AE FMJ (it's the hottest ball load).

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Well... I'm gonna pop some popcorn... :D

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    No kidding !!!

Here comes the whole less filling, tastes great, expansion vs penetration debate  ;D ;D ;D

P.S. I am not trying to discount the latter part of TH's post which is very sound advice indeed.
    That doesn't mean I won't find the whole more expansion less penetration debate quite entertaining ... ;)

9. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I like that--what will work when you need it! That is the best kind.

Bo Bryant

10. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    As little as I know about all this, I think I'll stick to the hard ball. Hell, if nothing else, it's cheaper. And you can't tell me it won't put a hurt on the bad guy. I think for guys like me, all this amounts to is spiting hairs.

11. byron2112

byron2112 New Member

Aug 26, 2008

What manufacturer is that?

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    The round that functions 100 percent of the time in your gun, that also meets YOUR requirements for expansion, penetration (Or OVER penetration) etc.

For me, in the P3AT, it is Corbon DPX.

Period.

13. There is only one right answer!  

[highlight]New and Improved High Priced +P+ JHP with spicy brown mustard loaded in the tip.[/highlight]  

BUT- unless you seal the mustard in with my grandfathers ALL NATURAL bees wax, you may as well be shooting blanks.

If you disagree with me, then you are a mentally challenged martian and you do not deserve to the right to have a bullet, much less a gun.

Of course you may want to consider Cor-Bon DPX... rumor has it that it was developed specifically for the Kel-Tec 3AT.

14. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
  15. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

There is only one right answer!  

[highlight]New and Improved High Priced +P+ JHP with spicy brown mustard loaded in the tip.[/highlight]  

BUT- unless you seal the mustard in with my grandfathers ALL NATURAL bees wax, you may as well be shooting blanks.

If you disagree with me, then you are a mentally challenged martian and you do not deserve to the right to have a bullet, much less a gun.

Of course you may want to consider Cor-Bon DPX... rumor has it that it was developed specifically for the Kel-Tec 3AT.
    [/quote]

I reserve the right to call "mustard" on a thread. Not that it does any good or anybody ever listens, but it's something I do and do well. And now that is being taken away :( :D ;D

16. byron2112

byron2112 New Member

Aug 26, 2008
  17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Ah, thank you.

So everyone agrees that this is the most powerfull hardball available in .380?.

Can someone post the speed/power specs here?[/quote]

Velocity 960 fps, Energy 190 ft lbs, Reloadable Boxer Primed Brass Case, Non Corrosive, Made in the USA

Don't know that it is the MOST powerful, there are a lot of specialty ammos out there.  But it is a very good performer in a value driven package.  That Midway price is out of line.  $11/box give or take is what I have found it for buying in lots of 500-1000.  I usually shop at one of two places:
    www.buyammo.com
    http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_1_15&products_id=94
    www.ammoman.com
    Can't link directly to it but it is 11.95/box in lots of 1000 at ammoman - shipping INCLUDED.

-Scott

18. byron2112

byron2112 New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Thanks a lot Scott.

That $17 price did seem pretty lousey.

19. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007
    Speer Gold Dots