Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand most .380 rounds have pretty similar ballistics. So assuming there is more to choosing a personal defense round than price and the color of the box it comes in, what are some of the preferred JHP rounds for personal defense and why?

Less importantly, what do you recommend for target shooting at the range?

G

·
JohnnyV said:
I understand most .380 rounds have pretty similar ballistics.  So assuming there is more to choosing a personal defense round than price and the color of the box it comes in, what are some of the preferred JHP rounds for personal defense and why?

Less importantly, what do you recommend for target shooting at the range?
corbon dpx hp is the best for the 380. It was totally designed arouond the kt380. Shoot good ammo for practice and buy the best at the lowest price. Fmj is normally cheaper in price so most shoot it for practice. Remington, Magtech, Federal to name a few. A good running kt 380 will eat anything you put into it.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
 There is a case to be made that the .380 out of a short-barrel P3AT does not have enough power to drive an expanded JHP DEEP enough to reliably incapacitate the BG--Especially if he is large or wearing thick winter clothing.

Some believe that JHP should only be used in calibers 9mm or above, which DO have enough power. Those would have only FMJ in their P3ATs.

Then there are others, like me, who believe in the best of both worlds. I interleave the best JHP (DPX) with the best FMJ (Federal American Eagle.) one to one.

In other words, the round in the chamber is DPX. the next round is AE, then DPX etc.

IMO, this philosophy covers all of the bases, since I can't predict what will be the size of the BG or the thickness of his clothing.

Packer.  

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Corbon DPX has adequate penetration and when the expanded bullet tears through the vitals it causes massive tissue damage. If the BG doesn't stop fighting as soon as he is injured as the vast majority do, that tissue damage will physically shut him down much quicker than the tiny puncture of a FMJ. ( I have great respect for Packer but I think he is only half right on this issue.)

G

·
fatman said:
Corbon DPX has adequate penetration and when the expanded bullet tears through the vitals it causes massive tissue damage.  If the BG doesn't stop fighting as soon as he is injured as the vast majority do, that tissue damage will physically shut him down much quicker than the tiny puncture of a FMJ.  ( I have great respect for Packer but I think he is only half right on this issue.)
I agree, I just want to know which half is right though.

G

·
kenzo said:
...pass the popcorn   ;D

FMJ or JHP... both beat poking the BG in the eye with a sharp stick... but i'm sure someone prefers the sharp stick  ::)
fmj, only pokes the eye Dpx blow the eye away ;D ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
...somebody grab a fire extinguisher cause i've got my gas can... ;D

...there is absolutely ZERO SCIENTIFIC DATA that shows one(JHP vs FMJ) will outperform the other the majority of the time...

THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES!!!!

...also i wud venture to say that the .380 DPX round (even though i have ordered some) is the LEAST proven do to its newness to the market.

BUT it's alot like fish'n...throw(shoot) wut u have confidence in! :-*

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Have you guys even READ: FBI HANDGUN WOUNDING FACTORS AND EFFECTIVENESS REPORT?

Do you understand that ballistic gelatin is only a test medium calibrated to best compare penetration of different rounds? Do you know that different body parts equal different thicknesses of ballistic gelatin?

For example: SKIN equals 4 inches. Different densities of bone equal much more. A rib might equal six or more inches of ballistic gelatin.

DPX at it's best penetrates 10 inches of B. G. So that's through the skin and stuck in one rib?

For those of you who didn't bother to read it, here is some of the last paragraph of conclusions:

"Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed 'shock' of bullet impact is a fable and 'knock down' power is a myth. The critical element is PENETRATION. The bullet MUST pass through the large blood bearing organs..... Penetration of less than twelve inches is too little.... Too little penetration will get you killed..... Any bullet which will not penetrate through the vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable."
  A big gaping wound that does not get inside where it counts, is NOT going to save you.

It accomplishes little self defense purpose to die knowing that the police will get your killer when he takes himself to the hospital.

Packer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Have you guys even READ: FBI HANDGUN WOUNDING FACTORS AND EFFECTIVENESS REPORT?

Do you understand that ballistic gelatin is only a test medium calibrated to best compare penetration of different rounds? Do you know that different body parts equal different thicknesses of ballistic gelatin?

For example: SKIN equals 4 inches. Different densities of bone equal much more. A rib might equal six or more inches of ballistic gelatin.

DPX at it's best penetrates 10 inches of B. G. So that's through the skin and stuck in one rib?

For those of you who didn't bother to read it, here is some of the last paragraph of conclusions:

"Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed 'shock' of bullet impact is a fable and 'knock down' power is a myth. The critical element is PENETRATION. The bullet MUST pass through the large blood bearing organs..... Penetration of less than twelve inches is too little.... Too little penetration will get you killed..... Any bullet which will not penetrate through the vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. "

A big gaping wound that does not get inside where it counts, is NOT going to save you.

It accomplishes little self defense purpose to die knowing that the police will get your killer when he takes himself to the hospital.

Packer.
chu talk'n to meee? ;D

absolutely i have read the report...

i've actually have been thinking about changing from GS JHP to FMJ after reading it!

bone vs no bone...neck shot...chest shot...belly shot...leg shot..front...back...side...through an arm...etc...

"THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES!!!!"

BUT in a non-bone shot i wud like JHP... a bone shot FMJ...

since i'm not THAT gud of shot i'm considering changing to FMJ...

AND i still stand by my statement... "...there is absolutely ZERO SCIENTIFIC DATA that shows one(JHP vs FMJ) will outperform the other the majority of the time..."

P.S. IN REAL WORLD BG APPLICATIONS... which is wut i thought we were talk'n about!

::)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've never tried shooting fmj & jhp out of the same mag, though it sounds like a good way to go.

I thought I read somewhere that mixing the two could cause feeding problems, like rim lock?

Right now I carry with gold dots, with a spare mag of fiocchi fmj.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
bigdaddyv10 said:
I've never tried shooting fmj & jhp out of the same mag, though it sounds like a good way to go.

I thought I read somewhere that mixing the two could cause feeding problems, like rim lock?

Right now I carry with gold dots, with a spare mag of fiocchi fmj.

That WOULD cause rimlock in a P32. Not so in a P3AT. You have to test your carry ammo. If interleaving works flawlessly in practice then it's good to go.

Packer.

G

·
Pak why don't u just back off, no one cares if u shoot fmj. you have proven YOUR point. Most don't agree with you. You just can't seem to let anything alone unless you prove the last point. Read all you want believe all you want, shoot what you want. Interleave if it makes you feel better, da-n who cares.. Geez talk about beating a dead horse to death, you are the master at that for sure!!!

G

·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, jocko--Even you.  ;D

And FWIW: I think Dr. Fackler's work is  VERY scientific evidence.

Packer.
indeed ur right but I don't try to shove my opinion down everyone throat.  I still say they should have let you put Barbaro to sleep for you know how to beat a horse to death that is for sure ::)

Yawn!!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.