Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to the forum and just received my CA about two weeks ago. I have been reading over many of the posts about performance modifications as well as add ons.

I found a post where the bottom of the bolt carrier was polished. Can someone explain what this helps with? If it is to help with the slide action of the bolt, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of polishing the other surfaces of the bolt that slide along the inside of the receiver?

Next question, Would there be any advantages of making the firing pin from stainless steel? I have a friend who owns a machine shop and he could easily make me extra replacement firing pins if I needed them. Thought maybe SS might be a good hard material to use.

BGB

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I found a post where the bottom of the bolt carrier was polished. Can someone explain what this helps with? If it is to help with the slide action of the bolt, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of polishing the other surfaces of the bolt that slide along the inside of the receiver?

The polishing of the bolt helps the bolt carrier maintain as much velocity as possible while sliding over the shells during firing, this helps make it more reliable and eject more consistently. My cases landed in a nice neat little pile @ about my 2:00 O'clock position. Before they were scattered around a bit more. BTW the b/c rides on the spring rod and really don't touch the inside of the receiver being it's polymer. FYI though it may help to polish the piston and rod assm to help with cleaning and friction reduction.

Next question, Would there be any advantages of making the firing pin from stainless steel? I have a friend who owns a machine shop and he could easily make me extra replacement firing pins if I needed them. Thought maybe SS might be a good hard material to use.

The firing pin is made of a hardened metal, not sure what hardness, but just making one out of stainless isn't any better unless it is as hard or harder than the stock one IMHO.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bam Bam, Thank you for the information. One follow up question please.

Identifying the piston and rod assembly.
- The piston is the piece that fits inside the gas block?
- Rod assembly is the long rod that the piston fits on the end of and the spring slides over it?

If those are the parts you are refering to, they would be easy to polish.

Thanks.

bgb

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I'm pretty sure this set up(mine should be here today) is like my 597 Rem 22 mag in that the bold resets the hammer (correct me if I'm wrong please) and polishing the bottom of bolt allows it to slide over the hammer and reset it in a more slick opperation also..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts