Perfect little hard case

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bazookabert, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    This is not nearly as impressive as porting you own pistol! But, handy to a guy like me. I live on the border of WI which is a non carry state, and often find myself going in that direction. I needed a simple small case to store my pistol, in such situations. I found this small case made by Plano that is perfect. The little lock that comes with the gun even works to lock the case.

[​IMG]

2. cybertek

cybertek New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great find. Does the Plano case have a model or name?

3. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Sorry, I forgot that part :-? It was just called 'Single Pistol Case' and the model is 1421, or pla.1421-00. For small framed pistols.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I have a couple of those. I think they were only $3.50 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

5. I have several of the Plano cases.  

I think they are Plano Model # 1421.

Just a few bucks at Acadamy.

[​IMG]

Since I was asked about this before, no, they are not water proof!

6. jfh

jfh New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Plano, or MTM, also make a small rectangular case that is big enough to hold two magazines.

And, IIRC, it's the MTM 404 that is big enough to hold the pistol, both magazines, AND a 50-round box of ammo.

Jim H.

7. A word of caution about these types of cases, particularly the foam in them.

I have heard it reported before that they are not good for LONG time storage. Seems the foam absorbs moisture from the air and then it can leach back out of the foam, along with something nasty chemicals from the foam, and that long term (not disturbed) storage can damage the finish.

I have never seen evidence or pics of this, but I do store a few of mine guns in those type cases, but on a regular basis take the guns out, wipe them down, and store them on a shelf in the safe, leaving the cases open on the top shelf of the closet to let them air out. Maybe a bit much, but I would hate to see one of my prizes tarnished from neglect!

8. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Thanks for the tip, NAS. I just bought a cheap rifle case from Bass Pro to transport my Garand in and it has plain old egg crate foam in it. I planned on storing it in there as well, but now I'll be sure to use it only for transportation.

I've not seen the effect you're describing happen with foam, but I have had it happen with a remote controller that I had stored in a box for a long time. The keys were made of some sort of PVC or vinyl or some such soft synthetic stuff and when I took it out of storage they were slimy and sticky, like the remote had been dipped in honey. Remote was ruined. Wouldn't want crap like that on my Garand so I'm erring on the side of caution.

9. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    I accompanied a coworker to buy his first gun, a rifle.  I warned him about the foam in the hard cases and had him buy a silicone-impregnated sock for storage.  He really researched which rifle he wanted, and he was really proud.  He took it out to shoot it for the first time, and left it in a hard case for 4 days.  He was extremely disappointed to find that the waffle pattern of the foam was left on the barrel and didn't wipe off with oil.  :'(  He will use the sock inside the case for even temporary storage in the future.

I think his is an unusual experience, so there must be a difference in the type of foam.

G2S

10. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Had a rifle I left in a foam lined case for to long and it took the bluing off in a couple places.  Was not a prety sight. :'(

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Now I am worried...my guns have been in temporary cases like that since the fire. Although they are HEAVILY coated with remoil...

-Scott

12. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    That sucks to hear about the foam. I was going to recommend a Pelican case for those who don't mind the extra $$. I bought a small pelican case today for protecting my multimeter for work. It is a waterproof and very strong. It comes with foam inside that can be cut to fit things like cameras etc. I use a large Pelican case for transporting my work tools on the airlines. They are waterproof and practically unbreakable. If you break it, send it to california for repair or a new one. They are worth the money if you want to have a strong case that will handle weather. I leave my tool case in the bed of my truck all year round with 97 lbs of tools in it. No rust on the tools after numerous rain storms and car washes. I would take pics of the case with my P3AT for fun, but the gun is at KelTec this week. I would definately recommend wrapping the guns in one of those special socks or a gun towel for the small ones. My dad always wrapped his revolver in one of those little gun towels.

13. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Here are some pics. I was messing with my tools tonight so I took some pics to show what I was talking about. The case is $27.99 at Fry's. The case I use for work was around $145 online

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with my Glock 22. It is too small for the Glock, but the KelTec should fit fine. The G22 is a full size Glock.

[​IMG]

Here it is with my meter, it's intended purpose for me. They advertise them as cases for cameras. They come with foam in the lid and the big block of foam that is pre-cut in cubes for custom fitting items in the foam. The case has a thin layer of foam in the bottom as well.

[​IMG]

I would have taken pics with my KT P3AT, but it is at KT hopefully getting fixed.

14. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Is that a built in lock on the front? Sure looks tough!

15. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Not a lock. It has places for a lock. The black object you can see if a vent that helps keep it from forming a vaccum I think. Lets the air out when you close it and keeps it from forming a vaccum when I transport them on the airlines. They are super tough. TSA and the airlines can break anything, but we all bought these large cases for work and none of us have had issues yet. I'm on my 2nd suitcase and I just ripped the handle off of the new one this morning in New Mexico. I'm debating getting another Pelican case and making it a suitcase. Will be kind of odd, but I just trashed a $100 suitcase

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Lear is right - if you can make a pelican case work for whatever your job is you have the best out there.  Spendy if it just for storage, but worth it if you are actually going to carry things around in them. And as he said, they are completely air and water tight, that is why they need a relief valve if you ever change altiutude with them.  

As an aside, I bought one almost (if not) identical to Lear's big one in the picture to store some radios in.  Some YAHOO riveted aluminum rails down the sides to make a shelf out of plexi-glass.  So much for air/water tight.  But it was only $5!

-Scott

17. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I love the Pelican products. My boss uses one for his laptop also. They make all kinds of sizes. You can even get one for an IPOD. I'm an aircraft mechanic. I work on all Bombardier built jets. They own Learjet and Canadair to name a couple. We tried all kinds of tool bags and plastic boxes. TSA and baggage monkeys will destroy everything. If they manage to break these, Pelican will take care of it. If you transport expensive or delicate things alot, you have to get these cases.

18. I have had a Pelican for over 20 years now. I used to sell Hewlette Packard Calculators (HP41 series) for extra income during college.

The things are absolutley unbeatable for ruggedness.

After 20 years my Old HP 41 CX is like brand new.

HMMMMMmmmmm... seems to contradict my post about the bad foam.

Any body here still using the HP 41 platform (Surveyor or old engineer types? If so... PM me for details on all the addon stuff I have... maybe I should sell it!

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    He he he he he. I guess I need to make a trip to the local Pelican supply store. I had 3-4 (not sure on total count have to go back and look at pictures) radio cases that were destroyed in the fire. One of them had 6 12amp hour gel cell batteries in it - what a mess! I think I know what they are going to be replaced with now! THANKS GUYS FOR THIS THREAD!

-Scott

20. brotherjethro

brotherjethro New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    More about the Pelican pressure-relief valve:  If you travel between altitudes much, you will be glad you have it.  If you close the case at high altitude and then try to open it at low altitude, it may not be possible unless you open the vent first.

(My inlaws live 7000' higher than I do, so I experience this effect every time I visit)