Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my fellow Ktoggers. I have ben looking at the Orion pocket flare set for my travels in to the wide open. My pal was carrying an old MK 31 signal flare set last time we ventured out and I was impressed I assure you. I see the appeal but I carry four 12 gauge flares to use incase of a worst case scenario. Till I saw the pocket one's I never second guessed my choice. Whats your thoughts? :trend:
Tool Tool accessory
Product Bag Tool Games Luggage and bags
Tool Tool accessory
Product Bag Tool Games Luggage and bags
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'll straddle the fence on this.
Signal flares - not nonsense.
Small ones? not sure.
If I were to go "into the wild" I'd have the RFB with me.
I always carry a mag of tracer-rounds with it. They travel over 1/2 mile straight up.
Several fired in succession will get anyone's attention within 5 miles:eek:.
(don't ask how I know:D, but it best be an emergency)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
on a boat yes, military or leo maybe.... this guy not neccesary, but there are three road flares in the trunk of my car. really this is old school stuff. a modern IR marker takes up less space, has less chance of causing an accidental fire etc... can be seen for longer during a search and rescue situation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Starting a forest fire in Cali IS a great way to be seen...and arrested...and convicted.

Those things burn hot and can cause a brush fire. Hell, I've seen tracer rounds ignite brush.

Best thing to do when traveling in a state park or national forest is to leave a route map with family / friends and the local park ranger. I also carry two way radios ( usually travel with at least one friend, should we become separated ) and the ranger will tell you what channel(s) they monitor. Also, a whistle is good in canyons, as the sound travels far.

Not sure about Cali...but here in Pennsylvania, I'm allowed to carry a firearm in both state and national parks...and always have a extra Ziploc bag of ammo to make noise with, should the need arise.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I don't know that I see them as either 'necessity' or 'nonsense'. More of a 'if you have space and want to carry them then go for it.' If one were really off the beaten path and were seriously injured, etc. then I would think that pulling the 'Bat Signal' on a small cart along behind onself would suddenly seem not unreasonable. In other words, kind of one of those 'better to have it and never need it' things. Also, in an emergency (again, seriously injured, etc. so that ability to get a fire going is impaired and the weather turns cold and nasty) having a flare of some sort would probably be about as close to 'guaranteed fire' as one can get.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I would go for the traditional signaling sources, and stay away from flares. Pea-less whistle. Signal mirror. High intensity LED flashlight. Ferro rod with striker, Bic lighter, waterproof/windproof matches, candle, tinder (for starting signal fires in addition to warmth/cooking). Also one of those thin mylar "space blanket" type things - silver on one side, blaze orange or gold on the other if you can find that, for signalling and also for warmth. A good 4" or so sheath knife is wonderful for all kinds of things (improvising things for signalling too) in a survival situation. I sometimes even take a small packable ultralight soft kite (parafoil - no rigid frame) on hikes. More often used for fun, but could be an awesome signalling device too. e.g., http://intothewind.com/Item--i-5152

And don't forget, let someone know your plans. Where you intend to go, and on what time schedule.

[ EDIT - p.s., If you try the kite thing, definitely go with a parafoil. Don't go with a "Sled". Sled kites are frameless too, and cheaper than parafoils, but they don't fly nearly as well and take some skill. Parafoils just fly themselves and can be staked down and left unattended as a signaling device. ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.