Peening Washers

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by GMax, Jan 16, 2008.

1. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Hey all,
    Just picked up P3-AT #2. Unfired S/N J9Mxx for $215 plus a small transfer fee. Overall the machining of the parts seem to be a little bit better than my 3 year old carry P3-AT which has been almost perfect performance wise.
    I did an F&B this morning and inspected the recoil spring hole. It is definitely shallower than my carry piece and appears to have a tapered bottom. My carry piece has no peening issues.
    What's the consensus here? Send the slide back to KT now, or get some of the washers? And who is doing those now?

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    my slide got replaced due to peening issues. Serial # J8Axx. Kinda close to your serial #, which is why I posted. You could try putting a couple hundred rounds thru it and see, especially since it isn't your carry piece. It may never peen, so if I were you I'd use it and if it peened...then send it back. Oh, JFB is doing the washers, i think. hope it helps! ::)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    CLICK HERE to get some of the nylon washers

IF you are familair with firearms and mechaincally inclined, I would recomend the washers (like I did)

You need to be able to ensure you get a solid fit whether you tapper it to the bottom of the drilled hole or put it so the lip fits the tapper and fills an enlarged exit hole.

Another thing you have to verify is that the springs do not go excessively solid before the slide contacts the frame.

In my opinion (and I do NOT get ANY compensation) the addition of the nylon washer improves upon the design by adding an precission, semi flexable guide. The flex allows a much tighter fit to the rod while adding lenght to the bearing surface. Since the rod tilts, the bearing surface area has to be reduced by making the guide hole thin. the washer provides some give

4. Thanks for the non paying endorsment JFB!

GMax.... An e-mail should be in your inbox by now!

JFB gets the credit for the research and development of the washers/shock buffer/guide rod bushing.

I get the cash!  ;D

Thanks JFB!  ;D

Over 1000 of these things have been sold to KTOG members.

5. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    The Cash is in the mail.

6. ice

ice New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    I bought a new P3-AT last year.
    After a few hundred rounds, it started showing signs of peening so I ordered some washers from Nu and installed one with the tapered end toward the muzzle.
    I did nothing to the washer. No sanding or shaping.
    Every now and again, I take it to the range and run a few rounds through it to check for function mostly.
    So far it has held the progression of peening in check and I have had zero problems.
    I have done a fluff and buff and removed some of the feed ramp to stop smileys.
    If I keep the gun clean, it goes bang every time.
    It has become my favorite carry gun.

7. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    Since you have a backup pistol, I recommend sending it back to KT and have them make it right.

8. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Do you think they'll replace the slide just because I think it looks thin ? Or do you think it would need to show evidence of peening? As of now it is unfired

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I would think they would want to see damage or failure.

You could call, give your serial number, and if possible measure the thickness and ask :-/

10. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    FWIW I'd wait til I had a problem. My P3 has the tapered hole, no washer & around 350 rounds thru it with no sign of peening. Since you have a spare you won't be down if it does start to peen & you send it in.

JMO
    YMMV

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't think slide thickness at the hole was the whole story either.  IIRC, there was mention of a hardening issue with those slides too, huh?  It may have been a combination of factors.  We have seen some pretty "thin" ones that did not peen.  :-/

12. guru2sum

guru2sum Active Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    I called K-T in October and they said thin isn't necessarily bad, and that they wouldn't replace it until it peened.  I can appreciate their warranty policy, but it takes about 6 boxes of shells to find out, and then you may have to start over again.

In my case, it looks ok after 400 rounds, so thin is not necessarily bad, just as K-T said.

G2S

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If the slide at the recoil guide hole is thin enough that it allows extra lenght for the springs at full recoil, then the washer can be used to reduce that lenght and allow full spring force at full travel. Just another possible benifit :-/