Parts compatible btw Gen1&2 P3AT now w AAR-&-PICS!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MACD, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hi all,

I did a quick search and couldn't find a list of parts compatible between the Gen1 and Gen2 P3AT.  I thought I'd seen one here before.

Started having doublefeeds, FTE, etc all of a sudden after about 600 rds in my Gen1, never had any problems of any kind before that last trip.  Usually I shoot Fiocchi ball, tried wwb & some old hydrashoks, no dice.  Pulled everything apart and everything looked ok, so I thought I'd install new springs.

Parts are cheap so I decided to go ahead and replace everything except barrel and slide and keltec sent me a Gen2 extractor & spring which made me look closer at the other parts.

The hammer they sent looks a little different, will a Gen2 hammer work in a Gen1 P3AT?

Thanks in advance  :)

eta: it seems to work, have only dry-fired so far though

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Parts compatibility btw Gen1 & Gen2 P3AT (hamm

As far as I know, all internal parts are the same for gen 1 and gen 2 and should work in either model. Kel-tec occassionally tweaks a part design and obviously does not announce it. Your hammer is an example. Although it may not be exactly the same as your gen 1 hammer, and I cannot be 100% positive, I would expect the parts to interchange.

3. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008

OK, Thanks TxCajun

Won't be able to make it to the range until next week, but I'll try to remember to update here

Another part that was really different was the ejector, it was flush with the rail with no "hook" extending upward like the Gen1 ejector

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Again, they do tweak parts from time to time. Probably that ejector would work in either version P3AT.

Somewhere, I have an old memo from Kel-tec detailing the parts that interchange among the 2 generations. IIRC, it listed pretty much every part except the grip, slide, barrel and extractor, in other words, all internal parts. Of course since that time they redesigned the hammer block so that the trigger will lock up if you short stroke it and don't allow it to return fully forward. However, either hammer block will fit in either generation P3AT or P32, and the PF9.

5. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008

update

Got to shoot about 150 rds today, the funny new hammer worked AOK with WWB, AE & Fiocchi but still a bunch of FTEx (10-15%, that's another issue though).

I didn't install the new ejector as it doesn't look like an ejector at all - it's completely flush with the rails as if it's only meant to fill space. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Thanks again.

6. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona

Viewed from the side, the ejector in my Gen II P-3AT is flush.  Viewed from above, it makes the rail wider, on the inside, basically matching the frame behind it in width.  Ahead of the eject the width of the rail, viewed from above.  The ejector provides more of a corner for the case to hit than a hook.  I will be watching for your picture.

Speaking of pictures, although small, the shape of the ejector in the parts diagram below is accurate. And you can see how it roughly doubles the width of the rail with all the additional size on the inside so that the slide can function. Sorry it's so small. ::)

[​IMG]

7. BrazosJoe

BrazosJoe New Member

May 4, 2011

Sort of off topic - can you point me to a place where I can figure out the whether mine is a Gen 1 or 2 - thanks

8. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona

Sure!  Look at the parts diagram.  If you have the flat, external Extractor Spring secured by a Button Head Screw shown as part number 182 and 183 on the right hand side of your pistol, then it is a second generation design.   :)

9. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Sorry for the lack of update, was waiting on my Gen1 extractor - free! :) Very nice folks at Keltec.

Another 200rds today and it works 100% with Fiocchi ball after installing the newer style ejector, extractor & hammer, crappy chamber & ramp Polish job. WWB is about 85%. What's weird is that one mag was pretty much 100% with WWB, the second would have a FTE about every other mag and the third one would have one almost every time (one per mag). I might have to work on the mag catch, it's very difficult to seat these after that was replaced. Might even just reinstall the old one.

It seems when the gun heats up after about 50-60rds the takedown pin starts to work its way out. I'd let it cool down for a few minutes with the ejection port wedged open and it would stay put for a few magazines so I assume there's some warping going on. No big deal, I don't plan on shooting this thing for more than a few mags at a time from now on for fear of my thumb going on strike.

Remember folks, when you break down your 3AT it's the two big plastic pins on top first, not the little metal one on the grip... :D

Uploading pics to PB now...

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Some possible help with that: http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

11. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Original Gen1 (s/n H75XX) parts on left in all pics, new replacements on right:

Hammer: I couldn't figure out why they changed this, except for saving a machining step (and look at that beautiful machining on the old one  ;D)
    [​IMG]

Ejector - top view: Wider than the original as TucsonMTB mentioned above, it works fine
    [​IMG]

Ejector - right side: Note the replacement ejector is missing the traditional protuberance found on most ejectors
    [​IMG]

Ejector - left side:  New ejector flush with the rail as mentioned above
    [​IMG]

Extractor & spring - left side:  I don't think I beat that poor spring to death like that  :eek:  The replacement is a very strong spring!
    Note the funny machined flat on the old extractor, and the new leg protruding from the tip of the new one.
    The new leg gives it a lot more gripping area on the spent casing, and is kind of unusual in that it keeps the extractor from being rotated outside the slide.
    [​IMG]

Extractor - bottom:  Shallower extractor groove on the replacement, presumably to add strength for the new "grippy leg".  Also note the beefier area around the pivot hole.
    [​IMG]

The pics looked much better on my camera  :D

12. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Some possible help with that:  http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

[/quote]

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Looks like I have the older beveled style.

It never completely walked out, even fired a couple mags with it hanging out the side about 3mm(?).

I hate to keep calling KT for new parts so I can wait until the next order, it's more of an annoyance than anything right now, and only seems to happen after several mags.

13. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona

Au contraire, these are great pictures and nicely organized!  You should be proud!

Oh, and clicking on them zooms in to show amazingly good detail.  :D

By the way, although inconvenient, getting a new pin quickly might avoid possible damage if it walks out far enough. :eek:

14. MACD

MACD New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Re: Parts compatible btw Gen1&2 P3AT now w AAR-&-P

Thanks TMTB, My new high-speed CFL lights make all my pics look like I live on the dark side of Mars ;D

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Parts compatible btw Gen1&2 P3AT now w AAR-&-P

Like Tucson said, just make sure not to shoot with the pin haning out.  As you saw in that link, it can wallow out the assembly pin holes in the frame.  If that happens, you'll need a new frame as no pin will stay in place.  For anyone who is prone to worrying, this was strictly a 1st gen issue solved years ago with a redesigned assembly pin.

BTW, nice pics - thanks for taking the time.   :cool: