Part 310 is an AR donut

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by iamscottasus, Aug 2, 2020.

1. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Hi group! I hope I can confirm this as universally true, but YMMV.
    I was digging in my AR parts to look at some extractor dounts I had. I don't remember who I got them from so I Googled the part number and they reference to an extractor donut from Primary Arms. I suspected these might fit the RDB firing pin retainer, did the side-by-side, fit, test, and yes, they work perfect.
    In the pictures, the donut with the mold flash is the KT supplied and the clean one is the Primary.
    20200802_091055.jpg
    20200801_235631.jpg
    ^^100 points to anyone who can identify what's wrong in this picture above^^(no, its not the missing retainer pin)
    20200801_235845.jpg
    20200802_091025.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    RogueIV and dazed like this.
  2. dazed

dazed Active Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Thanks for starting this post, scottie. I was too embarrassed to start one over a silly o-ring, but I'm glad we had our little exchange on the issue.

A couple weeks ago, I was cleaning my RDB, and took out the retaining pin and firing pin for a deeper cleaning, and the retaining pin was not seating firmly, coming out with a slight touch, noticed that the o-ring was shedding, and coming apart. Split and fell off.
    Obviously, didn't want to fire it in that shape, called up KT and asked if it was just a standard o-ring I could get at a hardware shop. They didn't really answer that question, but took my address and mailed me a replacement part.

Thing was, I had a 50th bday range and BBQ trip planned that weekend, really wanted to show off my baby. Went to several hardware shops, nothing that small. Went to a specialty plumber shop, and they had them. (1/8 × 1/16) Bought a dozen for $2.

Got the KT replacement in after the weekend, and it's absolutely the same size, but seems like maybe a slightly different material? The store bought ones are shiny, the KT replacement is dull. Does it mean anything? Idk. Ran 500 rounds through it, no issues.

RogueIV and iamscottasus like this.

3. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    The flash on mine was keeping it from seating properly.

dazed likes this.
  4. RogueIV

RogueIV Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Only thing I can think of is oil resistance might not be so good on the ones from the plumber. I assume those were made to deal with water not oil.

iamscottasus and dazed like this.
  5. whynotthinkwhynot

whynotthinkwhynot Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Good find both of you! I imagine the same size part can be found in auto parts stores now that we know the size. It would be good to have some laying around JIC.

iamscottasus likes this.
  6. stephen urban

stephen urban Member

Jun 23, 2020
    That is exactly the difference. Gun oil and cleaning compounds will swell and soften the one designed for plumbing.

dazed likes this.
  7. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    That depends. What kind of plumbing?
    O rings that small are often made for valve stem seals and designed to last 20 years. Lets find out what Daze has.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    dazed likes this.
  8. dazed

dazed Active Member

Jun 9, 2020
    I don't know a whole lot about the subject, if I'm honest. But I took that into account, and only used the replacement ring for a weekend. And for shorter runs, I'm confident in them. There was absolutely no wear or peel from the ring when I removed it. And it was definitely tougher than the original that fell off.
    If I can get ahold of more of the ones used by Kel-tec, I'll do a "soak" test, put one of each in CPL for a few weeks.

iamscottasus and RogueIV like this.
  9. whynotthinkwhynot

whynotthinkwhynot Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Place your bets! I personally bet there is not going to be any difference. Why? Manufacturing and marketing. The same product is marketed to a different purchasing group by touting different properties. Sometimes there are even different prices. I have a friend who paid $5 for a box of “Squirrel Repellent” to protect his tomatoes, but it was a $1 box of moth balls.

dazed and iamscottasus like this.
  10. stephen urban

stephen urban Member

Jun 23, 2020
    That was just some creative marketing of a product known to repel rodents.

Which is not the case with things like o-rings. Ones made for use in water systems are of a different material than those used in applications where they are exposed to oil, fuel and other chemicals.

RogueIV likes this.
  11. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Dazed was kind enuf to to send me some of his "plumming" Orings. Thanks.
    Side by side with the AR rings, I can't see any differences. One isn't stiffer or softer than the other. Both black soft rubber.
    Like Whynot says, probably the same item. How much competition is there to produce a better 1/8x 1/16 black rubber O-ring anyway? If one supplier makes a good one, why compete?

dazed likes this.
  12. RogueIV

RogueIV Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2018
    O-rings are made of a variety of different materials and blends to suit whatever the intended use (and price point) is. I mean it won't really matter for our use as it's rather non critical and it's literally just holding a pin in so the cheapest is probably fine.

dazed likes this.