Parkerized ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by qcatrader, Sep 24, 2007.

1. qcatrader

qcatrader New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I recently purchased a P-3AT, did the F&B and hit the range with about 150 rounds - all went well. I will soon be replacing my P-32 with this gun as a BUG.

I told a friend of mine about it, showed him the gun and he immediately went to one of our local dealers and purchased his 3-AT. for CCW purposes.

My barrel looks like typical uncoated steel. His is flat black. Did he get the parkerized model? I got mine for $240, he got his from the same dealer for $249, just a few weeks later.

2. kb61751

kb61751 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I have 2 Park P3-AT's and both barrels are parkerized inside as well. Just clean as normal and shoot !!!

3. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    My Parkerized version has a black frame and the slide is grey and looks somewhat rougher than the blued versions I've seen.

[​IMG]

I also tried my hand at making an OWB holster for it.  I cut the rear strap to short, but it works for now.
    [​IMG]

4. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Nice holster.  Is this your first?

5. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Nice looking holster. Going to make them to sell to KTOG members (special pricing, of course)?

wyo-man

6. qcatrader

qcatrader New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Parkerized is what I thought - it's not a big deal to me, but my friend will be glad he has something on his 3AT that I don't. It gives him a feeling of power. Mine functions just fine. I'll put another 150 rounds through it this week and if I don't have any malfunctions, I'll clean it and it will become my BUG and the P32 will be retired or given to my wife for CCW.

What kind of sight is that on you 3AT? Is it just glued on? Seems as though it would come off when you draw the gun from your holster. By the way, nice job on the holster. I used an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for my P32 and it seems to fit my 3AT as well.

Thanks for the input folks...

Oh, my primary carry is a Springfield XD40SC and the 3AT should make a great little backup, or even a CCW when dressed in shorts and t-shirt.

7. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Thanks for the flowers!

Ref the holster.  Yes, my first attempt, and no, I don't plan to get into the business - to many other custom holster makers out there who keep getting yelled at for missing delivery dates.   ::)   I just like to try things I've not done before.  Will probably make a few other holsters for some other pistols since I had to buy a full skin of leather from Tandy.  This one cost me $70 (all basic tools and the leather), so if I make one more the cost drops in half. Probably enough leather to make five more, so I could get the unit costs down to about $12, huh? ;)

The sight is a HiViz shotgun sight I bought from Wally World, about $12, mounted on the P3AT with J. B. Weld.  There are posts on it on this forum.  I tried using Right Stuff as the original poster recommended, but it stayed gummy, so decided to try J. B. Weld.  I use it for gluing lots of stuff together - works great.

The holster has a molded in sight slot, so the sight really doesn't drag much, if any.  I taped a small wooden dowel on top of the gun when I wet formed the holster and it molded a space for the sight into the leather.