painted sights

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by YooperP3at, Oct 16, 2008.

1. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Anyone have any suggestions for painting the sights on the p3at.
    I would like to have something that stands out and makes it easy to aim.
    Looking for any ideas that someone else has used and works.

Paint....marker....fingernail polish.?

If anyone has used something and it works....let me know.
    thanks.

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i know in the past i used model paint. you can get it at a hobby store. what i like about it, is that it is thick enough that one coat will do it. variety of colors and also comes in a small container.

3. JB

JB Guest

I recently painted mine using a type of hobby paint I already had that is supposed to be fairly 'durable' but nontoxic (both characteristics were important when I got the paint because I actually bought the stuff to add color to homemade fishing lures.)  I used a florescent orange for the front site and florescent yellow for the rear (figuring two different colors would help me determine what the best way to line them up for elevation is.)  I then put a layer of glow-in-the-dark paint (also craft paint, also nontoxic and also bought for painting homemade fishing lures) over the top of each.  The layer of glow paint made the florescents a little more 'pale' in the light and made the color difference a little less obvious but now both sights show up in the dark (as long as they have been recently exposed to light - not perfect, but every little 'edge' could help, right?)  Honestly, I figured that the 'glow' might help at night with point shooting at close range when the dark colored gun might not be as easy to see.  In fact, my guess is that at most self-defense ranges, the sights would be more useful in that role than in a more traditional gun-sight daytime role - at least until I get a laser for it. I actually tried to get pictures showing the glow to post up here but even a digital camera couldn't pick up the glow - though it is clearly visible to my eyes.  I used a toothpick to apply the paints, so they got on pretty thick - not nice, thin layers like a brush would have done - but using the toothpick meant I was able to pretty well control where the paint went and keep it in the little depressions that serve as sights on the P3AT.

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Testers model car paint works pretty good if you can find it. The local WM used to carry it in about every color but the last time I went back for some it was no longer there :( Pricks. So anyway, I made my way to the auto parts store and grabbed some white and bright red automotive paint and that did the trick. I prefer orange and green over white and red/orange but it is a P3AT after all and doesn't have to be all that perfect.

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I used some bright red nail polish on my Taurus 85 38spl. It was a "what I could find at the time" thing as the front sight had no paint from the factory and wifey has plenty of nail polish.  :D The plan is to remove it when I get something better but so far so good, I have carried IWB alot lately and put 100 rounds down range. I also used a toothpick to apply it with good results as stated in a prior post.

CJ

6. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I used "Bright Sights" gun sight kit, it worked good for me. :)

7. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Whatever paint you use, first - remove the mag and any chambered round.

Then, clean the area to be painted with alchohol or acetone. Asap after cleaning, put a round dot of paint - 1 for the front, 2 dots for the rear so all 3 line up. Stand the P3AT on end and let it dry over night.

Next morning, put a thick coat of clear nail protector or liquid bandage well over each dot. Let it stand on end again all day...

[​IMG]

8. Chris_L.

Chris_L. Guest

I just painted the front sight white. I didn't bother doing anything with the rear.

9. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Thanks for everyones responses.
    I went with the red/orange front sight and green rear sights.

I was going to insert a pic....but cant figure it out.

10. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

Finally figured out how to attach a picture.
    Here are my painted sights.

11. JB

JB Guest

Looking at those pics, I have to ask:  Do the sights on the second gen P3's come from the factory in a three dot configuration or did you guys do that, yourself, when you painted them?  On my first gen, both the front and rear 'sights' are simply single points, milled into the slide, that were painted white (and the white paint started fading, which is why I painted them in the first place.)  I think the three dot would be very much preferable.

12. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I just got mine a few weeks ago (2nd gen).....they are the same as yours,
    front and rear are straight, vertical lines.
    I used a toothpick to place the three dots.
    There's just enough room to use the tip of the toothpic dipped in paint.

13. JB

JB Guest

Thanks. Wish I had thought of that to start with (I prefer three-dot set ups, in general.)

14. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I searched for a previous post... but could not find it, maybe someone can help out. A guy used a dremel and made a small groove in the sights and glued in a little cylinder of tritium. More hassle and expense, but prolly the best way to go. I'm sure a fellow Yooper would be handy enuf to do the project. :)

15. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I use white out. Its handy and lasts a couple months. All my old model paints dried up years ago.

16. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    The sights look pretty good and will be easier to align this way. I actually filled in the whole back "U" instead of putting two dots back there but it really is personal preference.

No JB, all P3AT sights are the color of the slide unless painted by the owner. Because the gun is designed for use at very short distances sights are somewhat crude, but effective for what they are intended for. Good question though ;)

17. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    Try applying a coat of "hard as nails" fingernail polish over that white out and it will last longer. Before anybody goes questioning my manhood as to why I know the name of the polish, we use it a lot in different telephone offices over labels where heat or blowing air will cause said labels to peel off. It is actually recommended for that application ;)

18. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I like the fluorescent Krylon "paint sticks" available at Walmart for about $3.00 located in the craft department.

Front orange...rear green.

P.S. It holds up to Birchwood Casey Synthetic-Safe Gun Scrubber (best price Walmart). The enamels and finger nail polish I've tried did not! All of the enamels I tried chipped off.

19. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    The Best!

There is fluorescent paint available at fishing stores to pait jig heads and lures. It is super-tough...designed to hold up when your lure bounces of the boat, hits a tree, and constantly bumps under-water rocks, etc. Some colors are available in "glow-in-the-dark."

Sometimes Bass Pro Shops has it and Cabelas has the best supply. Try and find it locally because the S&H will cost you almost as much as the paint!