Paint front sight, what paint?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Haku, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    I would like to improve my sight picture buy painting my front sight white or red. Maybe not the whole sight but the back of it. What type of paint do I use? I was thinking model paint, please give me your thoughts on this I don't with to mess up my pistol.

2. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I got a "paint pen" from wally world. I put a dab on a piece of paper and use a toothpick to appy it. I use the day-glowest day-glow orange I could find. Seems to work fine. While cleaning guns I'll touch it up if it needs it, but is rare. Keep the paint pen in a zipplock back so it doen't dry out.

Have fun, be safe.

3. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I went to Wally world and bought a very small jar of sign paint in floresent orange and put a dab on front sight and on slide behind the site..dont even bother with rear sites. just use front site with that gun anyway...Had it on for two years and still looks great.. ;)

4. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    I will go to wally world I am sure they will have paint. I am also sure they will not have AMMO :eek:
    Thanks for the advice, you are talking about oil base paint right?

5. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

Green paint pen for rear sights. Used toothpick dipped in the paint.
    orange/red fingernail polish front sight. Used toothpick dipped in the polish.
    Put a dab of clear nail polish over both.

6 months of carry so far and still there.

6. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Those look great, I'll have to try that. Thanks

7. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    White!

Check out bright red or green in dingy night time light -- think BGs are gonna mostly hit you in bright daytime? If so white is still great.

8. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Nail polish. Yep, you heard me right. It wares like iron (ask your wife or girl friend or both.) and last forever. Just a little dab will do. And it's cheap. No need for the fancy high priced stuff.

9. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I used glow in the dark sight paint kit from Cabelas. It works great!!!!!!! I can see in daylight easy now and low light or night watch out!!!! They glow great if you apply at least 3 coats! put down 2 coats of white primer first included in paint set. I think it was about 5 or 6 bucks.

Live Long Die Hard

10. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Wrong!!!! It will cost you bigtime if your wife catches you using her nail polish on your gun! ;D

11. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Paint pen in white.
    Painted the front sight and a dot under the rear notch.

P3AT with a straight 8 ;)

12. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I just bought some sight paint at Cabela's in KCKS. You can find it here http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t....form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1. It is glow in the dark green but in regular light it is whitish-yellow. I've put it on all my handguns over the last few days. It even works on the P3AT sights. I was using white nail polish on the rear sight and orange nail polish on the front that I had borrowed from my daughter. I like this sight paint much better.

13. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Best crap out there huh! :p

14. tiburns

tiburns New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I tried Nighteyes. Its a stick on flo dots. I was not impressed at all. Had to go through all except one in the package to get to stay on gun. I will have to try the paint. Wish I had seen it first.

15. chaos321

chaos321 New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

16. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I dug through my wife's box of nail polish and found the reddest red for the rear sight (colored in the whole rear area) and the closest I could find to white for the front sight. It's more of a light yellowish white but works fine. I also stuck a Nitesiter dot over the white paint for better low light illumination. Used a toothpick for the application. It looks like it could be a factory job. I also have the CT laser which I highly recommend.

17. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Just ordered the kit from cabelas. I had used white appliance touch up paint from Wal-Mart prior, front sight only. Can't wait to get ithe new stuff. Thanks KTOGers! ;)

18. shurhouse

shurhouse New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Fishing lure paint. With anything you use, colors are brighter if you put a base of white on first.

19. robbiedaman

robbiedaman New Member

May 26, 2008
    nail polish is more durable than the sight paints i've used. it also dries in like 5 min compared to over night for most of the sight paints.

20. ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    After painting the sights are you guys carfull in trying not to get cleaners on that area of the slide when cleaning the gun?