Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learned something new about Sub-9s today and I thought that I would share.

I recently found a $350 Sub-9 on GB and after drooling over the prospect of having an all metal S2K with a BHO I pulled out CC and pulled the trigger. I was a S&W magazine model, which isn't a huge deal, I have a Beretta 92 so I figured I'd give Kel-Tec a call and see if I might be able to exchange grips.

When I got a hold of their sub-9 customer service guy and told him that I had just purchased one he immediately asked me if I had checked the left side of the receiver for any bulging. Apparently the metal of the sub-9 isn't quite the bastion of ruggedness that a lot of us thought it was because apparently, if the trigger is pulled when the bolt is out of the weapon (like for cleaning) the hammer will fall and over-stress the metal of the receiver causing it to bulge out. My understanding is that in addition to compromising the integrity of the receiver, it will also displace the hammer and sear group making it so that the hammer will no longer catch and the gun will be inoperable.

Gun Trigger Airsoft Revolver Gun accessory

Upon hearing this I of course checked my brand new Sub-9 and BAM there it was. As soon as I saw it, I checked operation to see if the bolt would catch and sure enough the bolt was incredibly rough and the hammer only caught occasionally. Sean at Kel-Tec asked me to send him a picture of it and they are going to check and see if they have the parts to repair it but he told me even if they did it would be another $300 plus the cost of shipping it to and from Alaska.

For those looking at buying a sub-9, the bulge is easy to spot. It is always on the left side, just above the safety (see picture) and is about the size of a dime. I went back at looked at the GB listing and sure enough every picture was of the right side of the gun. In hind sight I should have asked for some more pictures.

Hope my loss is someone else's gain.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
I've never heard of this issue.
Seems improbable.
Have you shot it?
Thanks for sharing.
He got Sean's name right Jamie (Senior Sub technician). It's worth looking into to make sure we don't have that spot on ours. It's possible that was why the price was so low. DireStyer, thanks for the heads up, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm missing something here. $300 to do a warranty repair of a lifetime-warranty gun? Or $300 to convert the gun to take 9mm Beretta magazines?

Firearms are rarely warranted or repaired or even exchanged by retail sellers and must go back to the manufacturer for this service. They say it's "federal law" but I can't find it.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had me all nervous!
Picked my SUB-9 up from the FFL yesterday PHEW ITS GOOD!
Thanks for the useful info.
Gun Airsoft Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
I'm missing something here. $300 to do a warranty repair of a lifetime-warranty gun? Or $300 to convert the gun to take 9mm Beretta magazines

The lifetime warranty only applies to original owners. And I'm thinking the $300 applies to the repair and the conversion.

·
Administrator
32,161 Posts
I've not heard of this either. I'm no sub9 expert but I do own one. Perhaps the owner did know about the problem because they don't normally sell that cheap these days. But, certainly he should have disclosed the problem. Worst case scenario is you paid $600, a price I have seen others pay, IIRC. Plus you will have one gone through and rebuilt by the factory.

I hope KT can make it good. I know they'll want to. You can ship long guns through the US mail so it may not be terribly expensive. KT will cover return shipping. Certainly come back to this thread and keep us updated through the process, and good luck.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
All mine are good.
Good to keep in mind for members looking for a sub-9.
Guion, did you purchase from G.B as well?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I've not heard of this either. I'm no sub9 expert but I do own one. Perhaps the owner did know about the problem because they don't normally sell that cheap these days. But, certainly he should have disclosed the problem. Worst case scenario is you paid $600, a price I have seen others pay, IIRC. Plus you will have one gone through and rebuilt by the factory.

I hope KT can make it good. I know they'll want to. You can ship long guns through the US mail so it may not be terribly expensive. KT will cover return shipping. Certainly come back to this thread and keep us updated through the process, and good luck.
I agree with TxCajun. Out of production, limited production run & in demand? The value just keeps going up.

FWIW Nothing wrong with the S&W version. I've had four (one SUB40) & still have two of the 9s.

Never heard of this issue but I guess some folks just can't resist pulling the trigger. Quite a number if the factory is seeing enough with this damage to make it the top of their question list.

Reactions: 850sub

·
Registered
71 Posts
Possibly the seller didn't know - IMHO, it's worth a try contacting him so see if he'll offer some kind of consideration, if that's what ya want.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
So I had to check mine , and as I suspected its perfect.. but then I bought it when it was barely shot.. still had all its paint on the bolt still. And its a Sub 9 in 40S&W if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Part of the problem is the terrible site has you holding the gun to high. I put on a revolving
Red Lion forearm. On the Lion forearm i installed a rail. On the rail are two York fixed battle
Sites. Absolutely love the new setup. It becomes deadly accurate and dont feel any recoil. What a fun gun. I found to never fill my Glock mags to complete fill and dont shoot the last 2 shots. ALMOST never jams by following those rules. Rotate the forearm, turn sites down and gun still folds perfectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Learned something new about Sub-9s today and I thought that I would share.

I recently found a $350 Sub-9 on GB and after drooling over the prospect of having an all metal S2K with a BHO I pulled out CC and pulled the trigger. I was a S&W magazine model, which isn't a huge deal, I have a Beretta 92 so I figured I'd give Kel-Tec a call and see if I might be able to exchange grips.

When I got a hold of their sub-9 customer service guy and told him that I had just purchased one he immediately asked me if I had checked the left side of the receiver for any bulging. Apparently the metal of the sub-9 isn't quite the bastion of ruggedness that a lot of us thought it was because apparently, if the trigger is pulled when the bolt is out of the weapon (like for cleaning) the hammer will fall and over-stress the metal of the receiver causing it to bulge out. My understanding is that in addition to compromising the integrity of the receiver, it will also displace the hammer and sear group making it so that the hammer will no longer catch and the gun will be inoperable.

View attachment 34893

Upon hearing this I of course checked my brand new Sub-9 and BAM there it was. As soon as I saw it, I checked operation to see if the bolt would catch and sure enough the bolt was incredibly rough and the hammer only caught occasionally. Sean at Kel-Tec asked me to send him a picture of it and they are going to check and see if they have the parts to repair it but he told me even if they did it would be another $300 plus the cost of shipping it to and from Alaska.

For those looking at buying a sub-9, the bulge is easy to spot. It is always on the left side, just above the safety (see picture) and is about the size of a dime. I went back at looked at the GB listing and sure enough every picture was of the right side of the gun. In hind sight I should have asked for some more pictures.

Hope my loss is someone else's gain.

Wow. I just got on the Forum to try and find a manual for my (20yr old) Sub-9, and found your post.....will check my Sub-9 asap. Thanks for the info. By the way, does anyone have a copy, PDF or paper, for the Sub-9. Tim in support at Keltec says they do not, and there is nothing on the web. Anyone can help?

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Wow. I just got on the Forum to try and find a manual for my (20yr old) Sub-9, and found your post.....will check my Sub-9 asap. Thanks for the info. By the way, does anyone have a copy, PDF or paper, for the Sub-9. Tim in support at Keltec says they do not, and there is nothing on the web. Anyone can help?
Private message me your email. I think I have a PDF on file. Click on my name and select "begin conversation" in that window to send me a message.

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Private message me your email. I think I have a PDF on file. Click on my name and select "begin conversation" in that window to send me a message.
I just PM'd you I'd love to get that PDF! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
No, I had not seen this....thank you very much....even though they are JPEG's, it is better than nothing....thanks again
2 others PM me email addy's for the PDF, but you won't? :confused:

Reactions: AO
1 - 20 of 28 Posts