Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shopping around my local gun stores today. One had 2 P3ATs for 299 each. I tried to bargain with the man, but he would only come down to 290 :'( Called another shop, they didn't have any and said they wouldn't get any kel-tecs for a while.

Went to pretty much the only other decent gun store in town, who never had kel-tecs before. They had 2 on the shelf. Price was...........299 each! I told them they would have to do better than that because I could just go to the Saxet show and pay 230 next month. The best they could do was $269. I bought it, and an extra mag, and the 1 round extension.

Now before everyone starts yellin at me for paying that much, let me explain why I did so. The Saxet Show in San Antonio is about a two and a half hour drive from my house. I'm not gonna get there and back without spending $40 in gas anyway. Plus my wife will probably want to come. Then she'll want me to take her to eat at the Cheesecake Factory, which will cost about $60. Then she'll want to do some mall shopping. Yuck!! So I figured that extra $40 actually saved me at least a couple hundred. :eek:

Anyway, I'm happy to have finally gotten my P3AT, I've been droolin over them for a while already. I do have one small problem already. The extra mag I bought wont snap in. I've tried everything to get it to snap in. Not happening. I'll probably just take it back to the store and swap it for a new one. The mag that came with the gun snaps in fine. Hopefully I can make time in the next few weeks to go put some rounds down range and see how she does.

Bradley

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Good score. When I got mine at the big Tulsa gunshow I paid $249 +tax + entry fee to the show @ $10 each for me and my wife + 90 mile drive each way.

Local shops were @ $269 IF they had them. I was going to the show anyway so I waited. Of course I got my Subbie at the same show so that helped spread the cost of the show between two guns.

Excellent analysis of the economics of your purchase. Now go shoot it! ;)

G

·
$269 is what they are selling for at gander mt in Terre Haute, Ind. so that price IMO is fair, sure there will be some found lower pirced but if you want it and it is there buy the damn thing and move on. Was the extra magazine a factory kt mag or an off brand??

G

·
bdbirddog said:
I think it was factory because the packaging had keltec labeling on it.  It reads mecgar on the side of the mag.  Same as the mag that came in the gun.
yup its a kt mag. strange that it won't work. just remember not to slam the magazine home. push in the mag. release button when you insert and just push up. You will never wear the mag release catch that way. You have a really nice peace there, now just shoot it like u stole it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to consider the "wife factor".

I found a Glock 34 at a good price near were my daughter goes to college. It was a 2 hour drive from our home.

I paid $425 for the gun, $50 for 3 lunches, $100 for essentials at Wal-Mart for my daughter and $30 in fuel.

I could have stayed home and bought a brand new G34! ;D

Dave

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Not a bad price and nothing to be upset over. You helped the local dealer be there. Now that you did that (and bought some good will with him), take the new mag back for a replacement.

My twins bought in December were also purchased with two extra mags. One of them did exactly as you described. If I put WAY TOO MUCH extra pressure on it once it was up all the way I could get it to latch sometimes. Before I had the chance to replace it I lost one of the parts out of one of the other mags cleaning it and used the bad one as a donor. KT is shipping me the lost parts so I can return it.

-Scott

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Check the top of the mag base-plate and the bottom edge of the grip for plastic mold flash.

May be just a little excess plastic holding it from going in all the way.

If so, trim it off with a sharp knife or nail file.

rcmodel

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
adamsesq said:
Not a bad price and nothing to be upset over.  You helped the local dealer be there.  Now that you did that (and bought some good will with him), take the new mag back for a replacement.

My twins bought in December were also purchased with two extra mags.  One of them did exactly as you described.  If I put WAY TOO MUCH extra pressure on it once it was up all the way I could get it to latch sometimes.  Before I had the chance to replace it I lost one of the parts out of one of the other mags cleaning it and used the bad one as a donor.  KT is shipping me the lost parts so I can return it.

-Scott
  Did you ask KT to send you a new mag? They will probablly do that if asked, or send you parts to fix the old one. If they send you a new mag, they will also send you a SASE to return the other one.

Packer.

·
Registered
275 Posts
bdbirddog said:
 Plus my wife will probably want to come.  Then she'll want me to take her to eat at the Cheesecake Factory, which will cost about $60.  Then she'll want to do some mall shopping. Yuck!!  Bradley
Aint that the truth.  At least Dick's sporting goods is close to the Cheesecake restaurant for me, and I can drag her in there for me to shop. ;D

Congrats on the new P3. Clean, lube and shoot. Have fun.

Ned.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hey Birddog,

I just picked mine up at the Saxet show in San Antonio. Not to make you feel bad, but a guy had one P3AT left on the table for & 199.00 + Tax. I'm glad you didn't go, because I picked it up!!!

I saw a very interesting holster newly developed by Pagerpal (No, it's not the pagerpal). It looks like a wallet that has a hole where the trigger is, so you can still grip it and fire it without removing it from the holster! It's meant for the P32 and P3AT and can be carried in your back pocket like a wallet.

I spoke with the owner of the company and he's going to be making these available next month (at Saxet). When I get a pic, I'll post it...

God Bless!
Doc S

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll keep my eyes open for that holster pic Doc.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on the mag. It was the base plate that had a little extra plastic. Since I bought the extension I just put it on that mag and now it works fine. No exchange required.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Doc_S said:
It looks like a wallet that has a hole where the trigger is, so you can still grip it and fire it without removing it from the holster!
Very VERY careful.  I seem to recall that any holster that allows you to shoot without removing the weapon is either by itself classified AOW or makes any gun in it AOW.  Not sure which way it was but that would have to be registered with ATF if I read correctly.  Anyone?

And no, I did not ask KT to replace the whole mag as they were already throwing in huge amounts of extra parts and I thought that would be pushing it.  They probably would have, but then I would not have had a chance to go back to my dealer  :)

-Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
adamsesq said:
Very VERY careful.  I seem to recall that any holster that allows you to shoot without removing the weapon is either by itself classified AOW or makes any gun in it AOW.  Not sure which way it was but that would have to be registered with ATF if I read correctly.  Anyone?

-Scott
Don't sound right to me, maybe just in your state??

If this were the case, I suppose you could not just carry in a pocket without a holster.

Ned.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There used to be a wallet holster made by Galco?? that allowed the gun to be fired while still concealed in the holster but the ATF did consider it to be an "any other weapon". This may have changed as the ATF doesn't seem to know what they are doing much of the time but if it were me I would check this out carefully.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Doc:  I'm guessing you are referring to the "Holdster" or something similar:

http://www.artofthehide.com/index.html

The ATF HAS in fact ruled similar holsters as AOW but the Holdster has passed muster.  I think it is probably because enough of the gun (slide) is visible.  Like the Pocket Slipper lasers, this looks to me like it would prevent a good grip on the gun but it may work for some folks.  I find that I need all the grip I can get on a P3.   :-/

Edited to add, if you click on the Saftey-ATF link in the above URL, he states that the Holster was approved because of the visible slide.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.