Pachmayr Vs. Hogue Jr.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hello just wondering if someone could tell me if the Pachmayr fits any better then the Hogue Handall Jr. on the P3AT. I read here on this forum that the Hogue would slip around and was a little to large so I was wondering if the Pachmayr offered a better fit. I believe the one for the P3AT is the #4. Also wondering if it has the palm swell like the Hogue. Thanks!

Tom j.

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The Pachmayr doesn't fit any tighter than the Hogue and it doesn't have palm swells. The Hogue's material is a bit tougher and doesn't rip (if nicked) as easily even though the Pachmayr is a bit thicker than the Hogue in it's thinner areas. The Pachmayr is the same thickness throughout.

Either one will fit tight if you put a layer or two of bicycle tube on first.

Some like them best installed upside down - changes the location of the finger swells.

These don't slip, and they don't have finger swells or palm swells:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1197321076

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Ok like the bicycle tube fix sounds better then the crazy glue some have suggested. I guess if you don't put the tube on they will both shift. Which one do you have on yours. Thanks

Tom j

4. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Yes, they both slipped on my gun without a couple of layers of tube - Pachmayr slipped a bit more easily than the Hogue.

I started off with a Pachmayr (it eventually split), then I went to a Hogue. Personally, I prefer the palm swells, and I prefer the rubber on the Hogue which is less slippery than the Pachmayr.

I use a SmartCarry, so the palm swells and low slip don't negatively alter my draw, with a pocket holster this may not be the case.

Bobo

5. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Sprinters might be better than all of them.

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Does it have a palm swell and a finger grip? That's what I really like about the Hogue that and the textured grip. I have one on my PF9 and really love it, just a bear to put on but hopefully I won't be taking it off again. Thanks

Tom j.

7. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I have the Hogue Jr. on my P3AT. I simply went to the local bicycle shop and they pointed me to their dumpster...cheap inner tube.
    One layer of tube did the job. I cut it a little shorter than the Hogue grip so that it does not show. But this helped even more:

I took a small section of rubber tubing (not the bicycle tube) and sliced it in half. Then placed it along the backstrap and held it in place with the inner tube. I lubed all of that with a little bit of water and soap then slid the Hogue over it. The finishing touch was taking my Dremel with a nylon brush and 'melting' the edges down to a rounded finish (I found this tip on this board). It looks great and fits my hand perfectly - I really like the raised palms...others don't. The rubber tubing really absorbs some of the bite of the recoil. ;)

One caveat: This grip makes pocket carry a little harder while drawing because of the friction from the rubber grip. This is a trade off for the comfort of the grip. I typically carry mine in a Fobus paddle holster with untucked shirts but a Smart-Carry would work great too! :cool:

8. P380

P380 New Member

May 24, 2006
    I used the Hogue Jr.
    I trimmed the length to fit and then used the wife's hairspray on the butt to secure the Hogue Jr.
    I also sprayed a little hairspray on the Hogue Jr.
    Slide it on and let it dry completely

[​IMG]

9. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I've tried them all...finally chose the Hogue Jr. and sanded off the finger swells with a Dremel tool. The finger swells just didn't fit my hand. Can't get carried away with the Dremel...may need to "fill in" with some black silicon.

Boggs

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Go for Sprinter's ktaddons! I didn't like how the finger swell forced me to put my fingers in a certain place. If you are going to "grind" it down you might as well have started with one that is thinner all around and just as comfortable (with the pads is even better.)

-Scott

11. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    adamsesq:

Are sprinter's grips the same as aglaser slip on grip with pads?

Thanks, Boggs

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Yes, his site used to be aglaser/....... something or other.  Now its www.ktaddons.com The last year or so has seen some additions/changes to his line, most notably more sizes for more pistols and a slightly different material molding. All for the better if you ask me. I am really pleased with his stuff for a very reasonable price (even if they are going up by a buck or two next month.)

-Scott

13. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks adamsesq:

I tried aglaser (sprinter's) slip on grips and they cracked and basically fell apart. He sent me a replacement and it did the same...just sitting on my nightstand and never touching my gun.

I "went back" to the Hogue Jr. with no problems.

Sprinter has a great product...now that I've discovered what happened to sprinter's slip-on grips.

After I had the problem with sprinter's grips, I brought my bike rim into my house to put in a new tube. I set it in the corner and, about a week later, found the time to replace the tube. When I went to replace the tube, it was almost reduce to powder. I also had some of my computer cables do the same.

I realized at this point that there was something in the air in my home that was the result of this assult on certain rubber products.

I called "XXXX" to inquire if the air purification machine connected to my heating/air conditioning system might be the problem. It is designed to kill Anthrax, airborne biological weapons, etc. "They" said yes...my machine will destroy certain rubber compounds.

In closing, I liked sprinter's slip-on grips the best, however, they just won't work in my home!

Boggs

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Holy Bajeebeez. What else in your house is that killing? I assume that is more than UV lights and filters? Is it actually emitting something? I ask with very serious tone as the "new" house has multiple UV systems in place to make the air "hospital pure" for Rebekah's respiratory systems and I am now a tad on the worried side?!?!?!?!?!

-Scott

15. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It kills almost EVERYTHING! ... not mammals. :)

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    But what does it emit to do that?

-Scott

17. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    adamsesq:

Will send you a PM on Tue or Wed.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Cool, thanks.

-Scott

19. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Hi! say st.louie how do you secure the bicycle tube to the grip before you place the Hogue grip on, definitely going with the Hogue because of the palm swell and textured grip.

Tom j.