Pachmayr for Pocket Carry?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Harleyrider, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Harleyrider

Harleyrider New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi all, I'm a newbie to this group and to my P3AT.  I use it for pocket carry.  I saw a Pachmayr grip for it and wondered if anyone had any experience using a Pachmayr on a P3AT.  I am concerned that the extra bulk and the texture of the Pachmayr would impede the draw.  TIA.

Vic

2. Mepperson

Mepperson New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Do you have a link to the grip? I'd like to see what they look like.

Okay, I posted that before looking myself. They are fairly cheap but the bicycle inner tube I have on mine costs about 4 bucks and
    I have enough for about 10 grips. It gives it that redneck look, but that's okay with me. It keeps some of the sharp edges from digging into my hands. I wouldn't mind having a set but it will have to wait until after these rubber grips wear out. Let us know how they work out if you get a pair.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I use the bicycle type rubber grip on both my P3Ats. With front pocket draw the grip, whether sleeved or not, does not touch pocket material. Your thumb and back of your hand will touch the pocket material. The grip you are considering should work fine, I just can't imagine it being so thick as to negatively effect a smooth fast draw unless you've got really tight pockets to begin with.

Bill K.

4. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
  5. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    First welcome to KTOG. Nice looking grips not much difference than the Hogue grip I used and in a good pocket holster i never had a probelm with pocket carry. If your worried about bulk check out Tractiongrips

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have the Hogue Handall, Jr. on mine.  The bike tube works fine, too, but I like the molded-in finger grip on the Hogue.  Pocket carry is not my preferred method but when circumstances dictate that I do, I have found whatever little 'bulk' the grip sleeve adds to be negligible.  As far as slowing down presentation from a pocket, I am not sure that it would, regardless.  Besides, my drawing practice has indicated that if I have to draw it then I will have my hand on the grip, pretty well covering the grip sleeve and keeping it from 'dragging'.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Oops! Welcome aboard!

8. Harleyrider

Harleyrider New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I have the one you are asking about on my LCP and a Pachmayr #44 on my P3AT. The 44 does not have the palm bulge, but it does have a ridge to separate the fingers and aid in the grip on the front. Both are carried in my pocket in deSantis Super Fly holsters (like a Nemesis, but with a square panel attached by velcro to prevent printing the gun). Both draw great.