Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
It’s worth the buy at $1k. I’m surprised demand is low enough they’re discounting the P50 that much, especially with how inflated prices are generally.

I guess it must be the ammo cost keeping people from pulling the trigger….

·
Registered
343 Posts
It’s worth the buy at $1k. I’m surprised demand is low enough they’re discounting the P50 that much, especially with how inflated prices are generally.

I guess it must be the ammo cost keeping people from pulling the trigger….
It all depends on the market and political climate. When the P50 was introduced, the pandemic was just starting, and it didn't hit the market until a good six months in. All gun prices were high as availability was low. Prior to the pandemic, I never paid anything close to MSRP for any gun. My LGS always had good pricing on Kel Tecs, but like things were during the last panic buy, even they were selling for significantly more than MSRP. But like with all things, gun prices have started to drop to normal~ish levels, and there are deals to be had. So $720 to $800 is about market for the P50 right now.

I don't think it's worth $1k. Not for a range toy, which is all it is IMO. I was going to SBR mine, but I don't trust it enough to spend the money on the tax stamp and a stock. I think I'm going to sell it to fund another purchase. Maybe a DBX57.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't think it's worth $1k. Not for a range toy, which is all it is IMO. I was going to SBR mine, but I don't trust it enough to spend the money on the tax stamp and a stock. I think I'm going to sell it to fund another purchase. Maybe a DBX57.
I’m curious as well. I don’t recall seeing a post about failures… Have you had issues with yours?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still waiting for the carbine conversion kit before I consider buying one. Can't find it on Kel-Tec's site or anywhere else for that matter. Has Kel-Tec stopped manufacturing in their decision to move?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm still waiting for the carbine conversion kit before I consider buying one. Can't find it on Kel-Tec's site or anywhere else for that matter. Has Kel-Tec stopped manufacturing in their decision to move?
To my knowledge they’re not moving, but expanding… Haven’t seen any news that they stopped manufacturing. Could be they’re building up stock of parts and kits before making the conversion available.

Could be they’ve already sold their stock of kits and none have made it to wider distributors. As usual, KT sell every gun they build, and I have to assume the P50 conversion kit is going to match sales of the gun itself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Why "don't trust it"?
I’m curious as well. I don’t recall seeing a post about failures… Have you had issues with yours?
I had to send mine back to Kel Tec because the chamber on mine was out of spec. Spent cases would get stuck in the chamber and when extracted, the case neck would separate and get lodged in the chamber. When it happened to me, the next round would chamber, and I was able to fire the gun, even though the bolt was not completely closed. This out of battery detonation damaged the bolt and the charging handle. Thankfully I realized it after just one round and stopped before any further damage could occur. Others have not been so lucky. Some have had their magazines blow out the side, others the upper blew apart.

Kel Tec repaired it by basically replacing everything inside the upper - new barrel, bolt, charging handle, guide rods, etc.. My gun is the "gen 2 version" of the P50, now. I've run several hundred rounds through it since and it works, but I still don't trust it enough to warrant spending another $400+ between a tax stamp and a stock. Maybe after I've put another some more rounds through it I'll change my mind. Or like I said before, I'll just sell it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In typical Kel Tec fashion, the kits will show up without any fanfare several years after they first announced them. Or they will never produce them like a lot of other things they've announced that ended up being vaporware. I personally don't see a point to the carbine kit. For the extra money, save a little more and get a PS90. Or get an AR57 upper for less. Or buy the new Ruger LC Carbine. You're sacrificing mag capacity, but there are mag extensions available.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had to send mine back to Kel Tec because the chamber on mine was out of spec. Spent cases would get stuck in the chamber and when extracted, the case neck would separate and get lodged in the chamber. When it happened to me, the next round would chamber, and I was able to fire the gun, even though the bolt was not completely closed. This out of battery detonation damaged the bolt and the charging handle. Thankfully I realized it after just one round and stopped before any further damage could occur. Others have not been so lucky. Some have had their magazines blow out the side, others the upper blew apart.

Kel Tec repaired it by basically replacing everything inside the upper - new barrel, bolt, charging handle, guide rods, etc.. My gun is the "gen 2 version" of the P50, now. I've run several hundred rounds through it since and it works, but I still don't trust it enough to warrant spending another $400+ between a tax stamp and a stock. Maybe after I've put another some more rounds through it I'll change my mind. Or like I said before, I'll just sell it.

Dang, sorry to hear of your troubles. I certainly understand your distrust of it after that. I did read in the manual that the chamber should be lubricated to prevent cases from sticking and coming apart like you described. I hope you have better luck with it after being repaired.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear of your troubles. I certainly understand your distrust of it after that. I did read in the manual that the chamber should be lubricated to prevent cases from sticking and coming apart like you described. I hope you have better luck with it after being repaired.
Funny thing about that. My gun was dripping wet when I first shot it. I lubed the heck out of it. Still ripped the neck off of cases. Pretty sure Kel Tec did most of their testing with AE5728, which is even more anemic than even SS197. So when folks with new P50s started running FN SS197 and case necks were getting lodged in barrels, they realized that the chamber wasn't reamed to spec. Jay at Elite Ammo called it out almost immediately and recommended against running any of his ammo through the P50. The new barrel works fine wet or dry without issues. But I still double check that every screw, bolt, clip, latch, etc is properly secured before shooting the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny thing about that. My gun was dripping wet when I first shot it. I lubed the heck out of it. Still ripped the neck off of cases. Pretty sure Kel Tec did most of their testing with AE5728, which is even more anemic than even SS197. So when folks with new P50s started running FN SS197 and case necks were getting lodged in barrels, they realized that the chamber wasn't reamed to spec. Jay at Elite Ammo called it out almost immediately and recommended against running any of his ammo through the P50. The new barrel works fine wet or dry without issues. But I still double check that every screw, bolt, clip, latch, etc is properly secured before shooting the gun.
Any idea if yours was part of a batch?
Thanks for your replies. Is this a "known" issue that has been experienced by many? Are there any Keltec insiders that know if this is prevalent or a batch issue?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Any idea if yours was part of a batch?

Thanks for your replies. Is this a "known" issue that has been experienced by many? Are there any Keltec insiders that know if this is prevalent or a batch issue?
It's not just known, it's common, unfortunately.

There are a few responses from Chad Enos on the FB group. Mostly telling folks to just send the gun in for inspection/repair. So Kel Tec is aware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everything relies upon the market and political environment. At the point when the P50 was presented, the pandemic was simply beginning, and it didn't stir things up around town until a decent a half year in. All weapon costs were high as accessibility was low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts