Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the range Sunday. My P40 won't feed the last round from several unused clips. I got rid of my stove pipe issue with some slide & ramp polishing. Now I just have a ftf issue with last round.

Spring too weak in clips even though I've never used them?? Need polishing in the clips?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Normally that's a weak mag spring, but like you say how'd they get weak if they were never used?

Does the P40 have a higher slide velocity perhaps, and the stretched out spring isn't strong enough to feed that last round fast enough??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Was at the range Sunday. My P40 won't feed the last round from several unused clips. I got rid of my stove pipe issue with some slide & ramp polishing. Now I just have a ftf issue with last round.

Spring too weak in clips even though I've never used them?? Need polishing in the clips?
Does unused mean never fired or never even tensioned up by being loaded up and stored? If never even loaded up and stored with never any pressure on it, the weak spring argument is a bit of a puzzle. Maybe the spring were installed upside down. The wrong angle at the top part of the spring could cause a problem with the last round. Just for the sake of seeing if it makes any difference, try removing the spring. looking at the angle at the top and then stretching it some (to slightly increase spring tension) and then replacing it. If the tighter spring tension seems to work then get new springs, If not. . . .then I'm not sure?!?!? Have you tried disassembling and cleaning an lubing the inside of the mag well? Ive bought some pretty gritty "new" mags for these. Sorry, not sure what else to try except just go ahead and put new springs in it and assume the first ones were faulty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anyone have any more ideas on this subject? I finally got to fire my recently acquired P-40 this morning. I was pleased with it except for this problem. I had what I'm guessing to be the original mag and a used S&W mag I just bought. The slide was striking the last rounds midway to the bullet or higher. My first thought was mag spring but on two? I polished the feed ramp and I cleaned it before reassembling and firing it. Not gritty on the inside. Clearing the weapon and locking it back, I inserted a mag with only one round it. I pressed it down and release it several times and it always seemed to pop right back into position. I couldn't manually create a condition where the round would not be picked up by the slide when it closed. Anyone have any more ideas, I'd like to hear them. Kinda like to keep this little pawn shop find. Thanks.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
I had what I'm guessing to be the original mag and a used S&W mag I just bought.
The S&W mag is made for a gun that cycles slower than a P40. Those mags often need Wolf extra-power springs to function well. The original mag, I dunno. You could call KT and ask for a new spring, or you can also get an extra-power P40 spring from Wolf.

The 1st P40 mags were just P11 mags, then KT went to a dedicated P40 mag. The first version was not completely reliable and they tweaked the cutout for the feedlips a time or two. Maybe you have an older version. One had too large a cutout and did not always reliably feed the last round. If you have one of those, you may need a new factory P40 mag or 2.

More P40 mag info here:
http://www.thektog.org/reviews-p40.htm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good info. The serial number on my P-40 is 595XX. The mag is marked P-40 but I didn't get time to measure the lips.

Aside from this problem, I was impressed. Slow firing, the little, heavy triggered pistol grouped well, didn't bite or pinch.

I'm thinking this one may be a keeper.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts