Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

P40 vs P11 length

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike the Memphis Tech 
#1 ·
Don’t have access to either one right now; I own both a P-11 and P-40 (both in storage 1k miles away). From pictures online, it looks as though the 40 slide is a bit longer?

I have a line on a P-11 complete upper. I’m assuming the P-11 slide will fit on the P-40 lower? I know the 40 slide will fit the P-11 lower.

Also have a PF-9. Will a P-40 frame accept a P-11/PF-9 barrel, or is there too much slop; assuming the slide length is the same. Thought I’d read that the P-40 barrels were real thin, so didn’t know if the diameter of the business end of the slide was bigger, or the barrel just thinner.

No reason to purchase the P-11 slide I found if I can just put a 9mm barrel in the .40 slide. Other than having some spare sets of parts.

#2 ·
Don’t have access to either one right now; I own both a P-11 and P-40 (both in storage 1k miles away). From pictures online, it looks as though the 40 slide is a bit longer?
Yes, the 40 slide is longer.

I have a line on a P-11 complete upper. I’m assuming the P-11 slide will fit on the P-40 lower? I know the 40 slide will fit the P-11 lower.
Yes, the lowers are the same and will accept either caliber top end.

Also have a PF-9. Will a P-40 frame accept a P-11/PF-9 barrel, or is there too much slop; assuming the slide length is the same. Thought I’d read that the P-40 barrels were real thin, so didn’t know if the diameter of the business end of the slide was bigger, or the barrel just thinner.
Frankly, I am uncertain and can`t, over 20 years here, recall
that issue/question coming up. Aside from barrel thickness, with the 40 slide being longer, color me skeptical.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

#5 ·

No reason to purchase the P-11 slide I found if I can just put a 9mm barrel in the .40 slide. Other than having some spare sets of parts.
Slides on PF9 are totally different than P11/P40 and will not interchange. There ARE differences in the P40 and P11 slides as well as the barrels (of course); You change complete slides and yes many of the small parts are the same- but the P40 slide and barrel are different than the P11. The 40 slide may be barely 1/32" longer. All these can have a plastic or metal recoil rod. Please don't destroy the gun asking it to propel 357 - though the barrel existed / exists today. I admit after proving it works I CAN see why limp wrist -ing issues could never be avoided when they offered the 40 / 357 options in this small of a light frame for SOME folks. I never had any issue but consciously work against it with a tight grip; I also like the heavy triggers on these. BUT: Shooting the 40cal (P40) just plain needs more metal to work around these parts for long-term use. All my other quality 40cal pistols; Kahr and Glock as examples- are a lot THICKER METAL than the P11/P40 and therefore not as "concealable" as the P11 (or smaller PF9). The P11 was designed to be smallest/lightest, just as the PF9 in single stack. That's why the slides wont interchange from the 2 series; one is single/narrower (PF9) and the P11/P40 are thicker and make a front pocket print for sure. You can strap a PF9 on your calf and forget it's there a lot easier than the heavier P11 type double stack. I like and have several of all these models with extra parts kits, and a Sub2000 in 40 cal. Glock I reload and see that in my future even after the pandemic. I do have dedicated mags labelled for 9mm and 40. If you shoot 40 and 9 in this P11/P40 hardware you can use a lot of rounds and time testing 40 cal in 9mm mags and vice versa; testing is the only way to get feeding / springs and such adjusted and documented. I use a label maker (with thin plastic label on each mag) to show "proven" dates and round count that fit in each mag. If a mag doesn't work well in 9mm though it says 9mm Mecgar, I'll usually test with 40 and (if it works if I can just adjust the top a little) I label it for 40 cal. By the way, ALL my Keltecs have the same Keltec P11/PF9 trigger shoe installed, including my P3at, and Sub2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.