Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What weight of bullet do you usually shoot in your P40?

I really don't care for 180 gn.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Yes, stay under 180 grain.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't shoot much factory ammo. I discovered very early that 180's were hard on the hands. My favorite loads have been between 140 and 165.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine shoots 180's without gun problems, but they are a handful and super prone to limp wristing jams if I hand it to another shooter not familiar with the beast. I mostly stick to 155-165gr for it as a sweet spot between the muzzle blast of the lighter stuff and the recoil from the heavies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do not fully agree with that opinion/theory. The problem of .40 glocks blowing up was caused by glock's chamber and feed ramp design in their earlier .40 guns. I can tell you for certain (first hand) that they blew up just fine with lighter weight 155 gr bullets. I also do not believe it was caused by over pressure, just brass failure. The .40 case has plenty of room to hit and well exceed SAAMI pressure without compressing the powder with 180 gr bullets, and if the powder was compressed, that would actually significantly reduce than chances of any bullet setback occurring.

With all guns and all calibers, I have learned to only load a carry round as a +1 once. If I need to unload and reload, the round from the chamber gets swapped into the mag or gets fired. I do spot check for set back and in my experience it is very rare with premium factory carry ammo, but the extra precaution is easy. It would also be easy to avoid using 180's in the P40 and I mostly do so, but for recoil rather than safety reasons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lighter bullet weight means LESS recoil,, which also means less wear on both YOU and the pistol!.
Physics is physics.
Remember this!
I still carry my P-40.
The factory accessory stainless waistband clip is on ALL of my weapons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.