Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P3AT Jams after 300 rounds

I am new to this forum, having purchased a new P3AT a couple of months ago. I now have started having problems and am seeking advise. My gun started jamming 2 or 3 times each magazine. I was shooting Remington 95gr. FMJ, switched to Magtech 95gr. FMJ, however the problem persisted. Once home I disassembled the gun and inspected. I discovered the metal on the frame opposite the ejector had a burr on it causing the slide to remain locked back after a shot is taken. This burr seems to have developed over time. Is this normal wear or would it be advisable to send it to service.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Nice Post, kis! Welcome to KTOG!

Whether you send it back or not depends on how handy you are. And whether you are willing to try to fix it yourself.

The slide is much harder than the aluminum frame. Usually there is a burr or something on the slide that causse a burr on the frame. You did mean ejector, (part #115) not extractor, right?

Check the slide for anything that could cause this to happen. If you find anything rough, file it down. Then you can gently file away the frame burr.

You shold also make sure your button head screw is tight.

Packer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Two Pistol Packer. On further inspection, the slide appears to have no noticeable defects. I am somewhat handy, so I think I will attempt to remove the burr on the frame and see if that cures the problem.

G

·
kls.. that burr is on the right side of the frame towards the back is it not. That is a normal burr, file it down smooth. It will stop doing it. The casing is hitting it upon leaving the gun. Pretty sure they all do this. This could be your hangup to. just file it down smooth, clean and lube-shoot and repeat.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
kls said:
...after 300 rounds...I disassembled the gun and ... discovered the metal on the frame opposite the ejector had a burr on it causing the slide to remain locked back after a shot...
Was this the first time you had the slide off?

If so the jamming after 300 rounds could be due to break in wear, accumulation of debri and soot, and lack of lubrication. All of which is "normal" and is why a few here only shot 50 or so rounds, then clean and lube.

the rail dinging occurs and needs to be cleaned up during break in. do not remove excessive material from rail and it will stop pretty soon.

The face of the bolt needs to be cleaned and ensure it is smooth so the back of the case rims can slide under the extractor. once the rim is under the extractor (firing position) the extractro should hold the case there, even with the slide turned upside and slightly shaking.

If loose, The extractor's allen head screw may be loose. A 5/64 or 2mm, and only finger snug is needed. (search past post about this and the tip of the extractor being a past problem for guns a few months old)

The magizine also needs to be disassembled and the inside and plastic follower cleaned and lightly lubed. Used the slide assembly pin to push in the button on bottom of magizine base and push the base off.

By the way, welcome to KTOG. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.