P3AT won't eject anymore

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by marshall, Dec 25, 2009.

1. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Naturally I clean my p3at (2nd generation) from time to time, even though I have not shot it recently. In order to clean it, I must of course extract and eject the cartridge in the chamber.

Tonight my p3at refused to cooperate. The extractor works fine, and is hanging on to the rim of the cartridge, and pulling it (all the way, I think) out of the chamber. But the cartridge refuses to come out of the opening in the slide. I shake it, and turn it upside down, etc. It won't come out. Never had this problem before. What could be causing this reluctance to eject, and how can I fix it? Anybody have this situation happen to them?

2. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Could be a missing ejector.

Bobo

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Just tried mine without ejector....I can't get the round out :-/

4. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    No, my ejector is in there!
    :)
    Still wont eject by "hand power." Maybe it will be fine with actual shooting. We shall see. But still, I hate to have to shoot it to get the round out of the chamber. It's just not right!

UPDATE: Well, it works OK, now. I decided to disassemble the gun. I pulled out the take-down pin, and pulled the slide and barrel off the front of the gun. Since the extractor was working fine, this pulled the round out of the chamber. Then I REVERSED the springs on the guide rod. There is a little "kink" in the inner spring, and reversing the direction of the spring apparently made a difference. Very odd. When I put the gun back together, it cycled and ejected rounds just as it had before. So, it must be the location of the little kink that caused my problem.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I know it is monday quarterbacking, but that would have been my original reply if I hadnot have tried mine wit out the ejector and got a round that would not come clear :-[

As for kinked springs, once you do get a kink, you have found it is best to replace them the way they came out. when you install the spring and guide rod I roatate the outer spring CCW to "screw" it into the slide fit, thus ensure the coils are not interleaved with the inner and the last coil is seated. I feel not doing this is the reason for the kinking

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I would vote for the kinked spring since the ejector wasn't missing.  I recently worked on a friends P3AT fluffing and buffing it and it ejected fine until I hand cycled the last round and it wouldn't eject.  The P3AT did eject when the last round was test fired though.  I checked his pistol and the ejector had obviously been missing for awhile from the dust and crud in its slot.  P3AT's will extract and eject without the ejector just not reliably under all circumstances though.  My friends ejector was missing for awhile and he didn't realize it as he never hand cycled the last round out!  Kel-Tec did get him a new ejector though no questions asked a few days after the call and we blue locktited that one in.

Best Regards  :cool:

7. xp100

xp100 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    The one time I had same type problem turned out to be that the loaded rounds were very slightly too long.