P3AT Woes

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by spence13e, Oct 5, 2009.

1. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    rj and burley already know about the beginning of my problems, but it keeps coming.

so i got the infamous bulging grip problem due to the assembly pin spring popping out of it's slot, and when i attempted to disassemble the gun, the slide was STUCK. rj helped me get it off, and proceeded to take the frame out of the grip, put a small groove in the pin's slot, fiddle around with the mag catch a bit more, and put it all back together.

now, here's where the nasty part starts. when i went to put the slide back on, it wouldn't go at all at first, and with some coaxing it finally went, but it would NOT hand cycle or slingshot smoothly. and it was almost as difficult to get off as it was in the first place.

plus the grip is still bulged. WTF do i do with this thing? i'm totally stuck cos i've never had a problem anything like this before.

will work on getting some pictures up for this thing.

2. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    here's the grip bulge w/ the slide
    [​IMG]

and without the slide
    [​IMG]

this is a pic of where the slide binds up trying to put it on
    [​IMG]

here is inside the frame, i'm wondering if this isn't where the slide is catching on something when i attempt to put it back on?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at this point, i'm wondering if i don't just need to call KT and order some parts. like parts 300 (grip), 284 (assembly pin spring), and 202 (frame pins).

3. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

That's a sad sight Spence. A new grip is definitely in your future. :(

4. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Hard to tell from the pic if it is burrs hanging up the slide (or which burrs).

Wipe frame clean w/ rubbing alcohol.
    Color all silver w/ black sharpie.
    Allow to dry completely.
    Try to put slide on.
    Remove slide and look for wear in the sharpie.
    File lightly.
    Repeat until the slide goes on and off properly.
    Mandatory Warning: it is easier to file more off than to put it back on.

The grip can be heated with a heat gun and "adjusted".
    A hair dryer probably isn't enough heat.
    You may have to remove the frame from the grip to "adjust" it as much as needed.
    Go slow.
    Worst case scenario, you have to buy a new grip anyway.

Good luck.

GL

5. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    *cough* heat gun is one of the many things i do NOT have. *sigh*

wonder if KT would send a new one? or maybe i'll play this card...

RAAAAAAY!!!! you offered to send me a grip that had the mag catch had been in previously? if that offer stands, i'll take it. hell, you can even have the old one.

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    done. pm me the mailing address again though.

i think this grip even still has the hammer block in it.

7. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    oh, that's great. that stupid hammer block screws with me hardcore when i go to put the frame back in. no clue if i can even get it out to start with.

GL - i'll do the rubbing alcohol thing soon. what parts do i need to order? just the part 284? (i need new frame pins, they've taken a beating from me....

8. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    A new grip comes with frame pins.

Can't tell whether you need a new assembly pin spring from the pics, but it couldn't hurt.

The hammer block is no big deal during reassembly (just don't EVER remove it from the grip if you can help it)

Set the frame into the grip. Front of frame all the way in, rear raised appx. 1/3 of an inch.

Use a small punch, allen wrench etc. to rotate the hammer block as far forward as possible.

Set the rear of frame down on the punch. slide punch out and the frame should settle on down into the grip.

GL

9. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    gee, if I have new pins I will send them too......otherwise you will need to get them from KT. May be good to have them just in case I do not

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Spence,

when you put the slide backon, did you thumb the hammer back so it stood straight up (and not in the foward, fired position)

11. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    same thing happened to mine.

sent it back to the mothership

they replaced all kinds of stuff

still haven't taken the thing to the range , but still carry it.

they do test fire these before leaving the factory , right ? :-?

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Ummm...you're carrying a pistol that you don't KNOW if it will fire or not?

Not sure if that's a good idea.

13. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    no, that's NOT a good idea.

i thought about sending it to mothership. figure i'll let ray send me the new grip and see about getting the new spring. if it still don't fix it, i'll probably send it back cos they'll do a better job of fixing it than i can. it's ok to not have it for a couple months cos i can "borrow" the wife's P32, or carry the P11/glock/xd.

14. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    and yes, the hammer is back, it all should be ok. it slips back and forth fine w/o the barrel, or if it's all together. it just catches a little when first trying to run it off the frame during disassembly.

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    that might be the area you have circled in the picks then.

the head of the guide rod goes up and down slightly and will dig into the aluminim frame.

if you take the guide rod and push it into the slot and slide it to the back and then pull it out, it should be smooth, if you feel a catch when you first pull the head away from full in, you will need to smooth it out into a little ramp

16. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    For future reference, mine was hot enough.  I used a couple of clothes pins (that's right) to pinch the top of the grip edges toward the center and let it cool that way.  When I reassembled it, it was tighter than a ...  well it was very snug indeed and I had to pry it open to insert the frame. Then it closed tightly around it.

Ugh, Spence...  when you get it running, be sure to keep some finger pressure on both sides the assembly pin when pulling it.  It helps to have 3 hands.  That will keep the spring from dislodging and bulging the grip.  That's been in the manual for a couple of years.  But who reads those things anyway?   :D

17. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    dale - that's what joe said last weekend.  i read the manual, but it was when i BOUGHT the gun and probably hadn't picked it up since then because 1) it's a simple gun to operate, and 2) i have ya'll here to help me when i break it.

but that's definitely going to be the ONLY way the P32 is handled.  i could try a hair dryer if we had one of THOSE, which we don't.  guess that's the price for having a wifey who isn't too concerned with being preppy (and i love every minute of it!).

not quite sure what you mean here, JFB. you talking about the circled section on the frame toward the front?

18. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Heck, I wasn't ragging on you for not reading the manual.  A lot of folks have old manuals before the note was added and a lot of folks bought them used and never saw a manual.  I was just making sure you knew now how to avoid a recurrence.

Not that I have a lot of hair these days...  I do own a hair dryer.  
    It's for Rudy, my dog.   ;D

19. sirlancelot

sirlancelot New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    well , went to the range tonight and 3 clips later the repaired P3AT runs like a champ !

if you don't have any luck with the home repair , a trip back to Florida will make it right.

at least it did in my case. forgot what a handful this little gun is. :)

good luck with the repair

20. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Warning! Warning! There are forum members who get bent out of shape when a magazine is called a "clip"! ;D