Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not assemble my P3AT anymore. The slide locks up on the frame when I slide it back on. The slide needs to go back about 1/16 of an inch more so that everything will line up for the assembly pin. The slide will not move forward or back and it takes a smack with the rubber mallet to remove the slide from the frame.

I have taken the slide off the frame at least two hundred times so it is not my technique. I seek your ideas before I send it to the service folk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having to use a mallet is not a good thing, sounds like something is bent or broken (Slide rails?) I would send it in

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I would try the slide on the frame without the barrel to see where it is binding. It sounds very much like there is some problem with rails, either on the slide or on the alloy frame, although it could be binding against the ejector also.

Jim R

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You didn't pull the trigger with the slide off, did you? If so, you'll need to reset the hammer manually...reach in with something and pull it back into place. Just tried it with mine and it does what you describe...slide won't go quite all the way into position.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hammer is set back. The slide moves on the frame fine until I throw on the barrel. Then I have the issue. It happens with or without the recoil spring and guide.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Look for burrs on the inside of the slide where the barrel rides. Also look for burrs or dings in the barrel, especially the barrel hood which could be preventing the barrel from going fully into battery and so keeping the slide from going fully back. Also check for any burrs or damage to the barrel lug.

Jim R

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think PF9Newbie was close to the answer. I disassembled and thorough recleaned and relubed the P3AT. I paid careful attention to the rails. I reassembled the pistol and manually worked the action a few times. It loosened up. I went outside and put 35 rounds through it. No problem. I believe a sliver of lead or some other fowling worked its way into the P3AT and caused some binding.

By the way, I did speak to tech. support and they wanted me to send the pistol back to Florida. I will put a couple hundred rounds through it in the next few days and confirm that everything continues to work well.

As it stands now, PF9Newbie saved me postage and a couple of months w/o the P3AT.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I think PF9Newbie was close to the answer. I disassembled and thorough recleaned and relubed the P3AT. I paid careful attention to the rails. I reassembled the pistol and manually worked the action a few times. It loosened up. I went outside and put 35 rounds through it. No problem. I believe a sliver of lead or some other fowling worked its way into the P3AT and caused some binding.

By the way, I did speak to tech. support and they wanted me to send the pistol back to Florida. I will put a couple hundred rounds through it in the next few days and confirm that everything continues to work well.

As it stands now, PF9Newbie saved me postage and a couple of months w/o the P3AT.
Glad you got the snag worked out and were able to get your P3AT working again. Also glad you did not have to send it back to the mothership. Expensive and time consuming both.

Jim R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts