1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Dan - the barrel is the Park'ing wearing off in all the rub places. That is pretty normal based on what I can see on my Park'd P40 with only 200 rounds through it. Frankly it makes sense and is no worries.

The frame (and it is the frame that has the wear marks you showed, not the grip - frame is aluminum and sits inside the grip which is polymer) has a bit more wear marks than my P3s do. How many rounds and are you keeping it VERY WELL greased in all of those areas?

-Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the typo clarification, corrected :)

It's probably got 200 rds through it. I probably haven't kept it greased well enough, last time I cleaned/shot I had run out of grease and just used oil.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The wear inside the frame (4th picture) looks to be more than I've had on 2 P-3ATs and 2 P-32s.

As long as it is just superficial and doesn't get deeper, it should be OK. I'd wipe some grease across the wear marks since it is/was rubbbing there. Maybe smooth out the areas on the barrel where it is rubbing there.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I would say your good Dan, looks like my parked 3AT did after that many rounds, it should not get any worse other than a slight burr on the left side of the frame, just sand lightly till smooth and it won't re-burr.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have only one Parkerized Kel-Tec pistol and wont buy another. By design the top of the barrel (exposed through the breach) will always drag on the inside of the slide. Therefor the barrel will always have bright shiny metal showing where it drags. I tried using one of those bluing (black) pens from the gunshop to cover it up but it just doesn’t look the same.

Wilson – who’s happy to share, even after the purchase :)

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
DanHfmn said:
Thanks for the typo clarification, corrected :)

It's probably got 200 rds through it.  I probably haven't kept it greased well enough, last time I cleaned/shot I had run out of grease and just used oil.
Get some grease. Any grease will work. Mine won't work right with just oil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wilson said:
I have only one Parkerized Kel-Tec pistol and wont buy another. By design the top of the barrel (exposed through the breach) will always drag on the inside of the slide. Therefor the barrel will always have bright shiny metal showing where it drags. I tried using one of those bluing (black) pens from the gunshop to cover it up but it just doesn’t look the same.

Wilson – who’s happy to share, even after the purchase :)

When mine did that I just took all the parkerising off of the area that showed through the slide. Problem solved and made a better looking gun in the process. I was worried about rust on the exposed part but it never has rusted at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK. I'm a bit surprised that no one's alarmed. Seems to be a significant amount of metal is gone. Especially for a weapon with a few hundred rounds through it. No other weapon I've owned has shown that much wear so quickly.

Look...I'm not trying to flame the weapon. Just surprised and uploading my thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Bear in mind that most of the marks are just the black coating wearing off. Also this is an aluminium frame with steel parts running against it. the guide rod pocket takes a beating from the steel guide rod.

The nick back by the hammer is normal. If it rasies a burr there, file or sand it down. KT should probably have chamfered the frame there but it is not a problem.

The best advice you have had is to put some grease on these areas. These little guys like to have grease in them. Oil just don't cut it in most cases.

Once it has worn itself in it should stop remoning more metal and coating.

"Just shoot it like you stole it". That does not mean put it in your pocket and forget it. Pay attention to it's condition but also don't baby it.

Remember it just needs to go bang 7 or 13 times. It is not a range gun and if it does wear out you can get a new one free of charge.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
g27_mengi said:
OK. I'm a bit surprised that no one's alarmed.
I have several P-3ATs that are almost four years old. Theses older P-3ATs along with all of my newer P-3ATs have wear very similar to that in your pictures. The internal wear on my pistols has in no way interfered with their function and ceased after a few hundred rounds.

As I mentioned previously I will no longer purchase Parkerized pistols from Kel-Tec because they also Park the barrel. Initially I used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to color the wear on the frame until I realized few folks ever looked inside my P-3ATs :-[

Wilson – who’s hoping his experience offers some solace

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
g27_mengi said:
OK. I'm a bit surprised that no one's alarmed. Seems to be a significant amount of metal is gone. Especially for a weapon with a few hundred rounds through it. No other weapon I've owned has shown that much wear so quickly.
The wear starts right away and then typically stops. It does not get worse the more you shoot. Mine has similar wear marks but it looks the same today as after the first shooting session.

The wear marks on DanHfmm's pistols are typcial except I don't believe most have the marks inside the frame, in front and above the assembly pin holes. But as long as they are superficial, no harm done.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
g27_mengi said:
Similar problem, a little worse as far as the amount of metal worn down. Should I send this back or...?
Don't send it back.
It is all perfectly normal.

It's just now getting broken in.
If you replaced the frame, the new one will do the exact same thing within a couple hundred rounds.

The wear marks at the top front of the frame rails are where the barrel impacts the frame at full un-locked position. It knocks the anodizing color off, but will not get any worse.

The triangle shaped ding at the right rear of the mag well is caused by empty brass hitting the frame as it rotates up & out of the gun during ejection.
Yours is now dented as far as it will ever go, and will get no worse.

As far as other guns not doing it, no other gun is made this small for a full-power center-fire pistol cartridge.
The P3 design uses up every available .001" inch just to have enough parts clearance everywhere to function.

In a couple of places, it apparently would like to take a little bit more! :eek:

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
rcmodel said:
... no other gun is made this small for a full-power center-fire pistol cartridge.

The P3 design uses up every available .001" inch just to have enough parts clearance everywhere  to function.

In a couple of places, it apparently would like to take a little bit more!  :eek:
Well said. 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.