p3at way to carry?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rex_dw, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I am a new owner of a p3at. What is the best way besides pocket carry to carry this little pistol? I have tried pocket carry do not like it as I ware jeans and the pocket are to tight for a good carry?

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    hopefully TxCajun will see this and move it to the p3at thread where it will get more views.

3. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Pocket carry does not work for me either, and I also usually wear jeans. I have found that the belt clip is the best way for me. I just tuck it down the front of the jeans and the clip holds it in place. Others on the forums do not approve of carrying without some sort of holster because the trigger is not protected, but I feel my jeans do a well enough job of protecting the trigger.

Here is a pic of mine (P-32) with the belt clip installed:

[​IMG]

4. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Thats my carry to.Makes me wonder sometimes though,hate to lose my little buddy..Do feel safe enough however....

5. paulpetricas

paulpetricas New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    try back pocket. even if you have tight jeans it will work

6. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Make yourself a holster.  
    Supplies available from Tandy Leather and lots of good information on http://www.leatherworker.net/

My first attempts - hand punched/stitched:

Crossdraw with mag holder
    [​IMG]  

Right Hand OWB
    [​IMG]  

7. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Strong work, TexasGeezer!!

-Matt

EDIT:
    P.S. What would you charge if I volunteered to be your guinea pig for one of those jobs with the spare mag for the PF9? ;)

8. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for the kind words, but, sorry, I'm retired now (tried three times before, and this one looks like it will take).  

I'm having to much fun doing all the things I didn't have time for during the 50 years I spent working.  

Just got my Ham radio license -- new toys to buy and new friends to meet!   ;D

Seriously, making your own holsters is NOT all that hard.  May not look as classy as some of the pro's, but hey, it's called concealed carry, right?

9. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I like the look of your holster. Have not done any leather working in 30 years guess I well have to give it a try again. by the way I have a tech Ham license that I have to renew this year. It can be alot of fun. just can't seem to pass morse code for a higher licnse. have fun.
    I know that this one was off subject sorry

10. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    TexasGeezer said: >> just can't seem to pass morse code for a higher licnse.

You don't have to.  Code requirements for all classes have been eliminated.  You can be a no code extra.

Nice holster too TG!  I'd like the cross draw, a little lighter, in LEFT hand.  I'll even trade you a radio.  Maybe even a vintage one!

--Plex

11. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    off subject Thanks for telling about the nocode. I just order gen. lic. book. plane on having my gen lic in about 3 months
    Rex

12. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    More off subject, BUT STILL GOOD GATHERING CONVERSATION.

I got my ham license in 1969 and have held an advanced class license since 1970. I earned what used to be a second class commercial license in 1983 and have been employed in the two-way radio business for a total of about 10 years. No real plan to get the extra class but I have looked at the test and I remembered a good part of the info from when I studied for the commercial license. I have really enjoyed my ham ticket and I really enjoy shooting my guns. What a pair of hobbies. You can drop quite a bundle on each but especially on both. I have also taught Industrial Arts for many years and enjoyed leather working. If you can layout the pattern, the rest is not much of a problem. The layout of the one in the picture looks good and I might even try one for my P3AT.
    Have a wonderful time with all your hobbies.

WB5AHZ

13. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi Rex_dw, and Chuck-Baby.
    Got a P3AT & CPL.  Don't carry.
    When the time comes, I will.
    I got my ham ticket, Jan 1955.
    Took me 35 years to get Extar.  The code!
    Then I got it by the 10 questons. Not the copy.
    Had radio in the army. Just after WWII.
    Had a first class phone back in the late fifty's
    Worked for RCA service for a while.
    Was with the 11th Airborne in WWII.
    Charlie. W8VCF.  
    P.S. The call was issued not bought.

14. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Hi all! Newby here. Just wondering where I can get the belt clip that screws into the grip? Thanks
    Bigsteve

15. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
  16. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the link! It seems there are both right hand or left hand belt clips. Are they referring to the side of the frame that they are attached to? I would like mine on the right side of the pistol, so I should buy a right hand one I'm assuming? Thanks!
    Bigsteve

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I mentioned it as a hint earlier and will be big and bold about it now.  It scares the bajeebies out of me to see all the newbies coming in here and asking about the belt clip.  This is because I am afraid that they think that just because KT sells it, it is a safe method of carry.  Just like carrying the weapon in your pocket alone is not safe unless it is in a holster (and KT doesn't sell a holster with the P3AT), likewise, carrying the P3AT with just the belt clip in your waistband or clipped on your pocket is not safe either unless you have it in a holster that protects the trigger.  At least that is how a great many of us feel.  Just to be fair, there are others who feel differently but then there are those who feel mexican carry is just fine too.  There are huge numbers of threads and even more posts within those threads where this has been discussed to death (use the search feature and search for "soapbox" threads in which I am involved if you want to discuss see more discussion on this), but I am avowed to point this out whenever it comes up.

The clip has its purposes.  As others will be quick to point out, even some of MY weapons have clips on them.  BUT, when I use them the trigger is always protected by something more than the clothes around them.  Any small pocket holster works great for that.  (nemesis, www.concealedconceptsholsters pocket pal, etc. etc.) And in combination with a pocket holster it can make a great iwb alternative for some - but keep that trigger protected, please!

[​IMG]

-Scott

PS - Big Steve - right hand clips do indeed clip on the right side of the weapon.  They would be suitable for inside the right waist band or outside the left waist band for a left hand draw.  

PPS - kb8prs.

18. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I sure hope Scott isn't around if I ever have to draw my BUG....

:-[

;D

If you decide to carry with a clip only, take his advice. Be very, very careful.

19. Bigsteve

Bigsteve New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I have been carrying for several years (glock 27) and am just new to the Kel-Tek kind of fun. I plan on pocket carrying and have ordered a pocket holster from concealed concepts. I would never carry with one in the tube without trigger protection. I want the belt clip for those situations where I don't want that big bulge in my pocket and want to go ultra light weight. Then I will use the belt clip only after taking one out of the chamber (I know that opens up an whole new soap box about carrying a gun in "stun mode" only). Using the belt clip will be an exception rather than the rule. Well for that matter... carrying the .380 will be the exception rather than the rule. 90% of the time the Glock will be on board, but its really nice to have a smaller option for "special occasions".

And thanks for the clarification on the right hand/left hand thing! I appreciate it!

And can you please help with.... kb8prs??????? I have no idea what that means? :-/

Bigsteve