P3AT w/pics

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by torrent, Nov 16, 2007.

1. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I saw this 2nd gen p3at in a local shop and thought it was just what I had been looking for.  I wanted something to carry in warmer weather to replace my p11 because it's hard to hide sometimes. Tomorrow it's going to the range for a break in and to see if a F&B is called for.  $250 didn't seem like a bad price given the shape it was in (very slightly used) and it came with a belt clip already attached.  Of course there will be mods in the near future like a grip extension, filing down the mag release button, painting the sights, you know the drill...  Without further ado, here it is :)

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]
    Anything I should know about this little gun that hasn't been posted already?  I gotta say the trigger pull is a welcomed change compared to my p11.  After I git'r cleaned up tomorrow there'll be a range report and all that...

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    She's pretty, I just want to caress her and am sure you do too. She will be happiest with LOTS of lube. And since you mentioned extensions, try a few including the +1 as they seem to be very personal preferences. I can't stand anything but the +1s, others shoot much better with a pinky extension.

-Scott

3. Just one thing to say, you should never trust a used gun!  Out of an abundance of concern for your health, I will let you box it up and send to my FFL.  I will, upon inspection, give you $50 if the slide is useabale.

Or maybe you can be happy with a really sweet deal!  $250 for chromed 3AT that has been pre-tested and had some of the burrs already smoothed out!  Nice deal really,, and nice pics.

Now just clean, lube, shoot, repeat!

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I can't imagine anything that fits that description, so how's the guide rod hole.

5. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Try not to forget it's in your pocket ;D

6. jdeere_man

jdeere_man New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    That's a bargin for HC, even if it's slightly used. I think a used Kel-Tec is honestly better than a new one. Besides the warranty is still good forever.

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    The feed ramp isn't even shiney yet if that tells you anything! What's this about the guide rod hole? Normally I file around the end of the guide rod to make it easier to install and it seems to work better that way. Did KT make a boo boo designing the hole in the slide? I hope this little guy doesn't give me any trouble or make me look bad at the range tomorrow. The plan is to put about 200 down the pipe and see how it handles. Man, I'm really going to have some sore hands :D

8. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    That's the one thing I love about this company, they stand behind whatever they make 110%. American craftsmanship at its best! :cool:

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Smoothing (polishing) the guide rod is a good idea.
    Do a search for "peening".  It is a known issue for a small percentage of P3ATs made last fall and winter.  Many cured the problem just by installing a nylon washer (buffer) in the guide rod hole which you will find reference to in those threads.  Others sent the slide back and got a new one.  Most folks, I assume, did not encounter the problem.  Anyway, just something to watch for in a used P3AT.  

10. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Okay here is that range report as promised. Beware, it's not pretty :-[:

At 25' with 100 95gr. Rem Umc fmjs I had the most impressive accuracy imaginable. Also, for seven straight mags every fourth shot got lodged between the mag and the slide somehow. Is there a term for this? There were about 10 FTEs through the whole mess as well. After much cursing, hitting, slapping, and poking with a pocket knife the little gun finally began to straighten out and shoot right. Yes, all that affected how well my p3at performed as well as broke the concentration of the guy in the next lane to the point where I'm pretty sure he purposefully lobbed brass over the barrier between us. ::)

Since I've never shot such a small gun with so much power before I'm willing to assume much of the responsibility for these problems. After cleaning the gun I found burrs everywhere so I did a F&B[sup]2[/sup] and really laid the lube to it. After another 200 rounds I would almost bet the break-in period will be over and she'll be reliable. I even bought an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster for it in case the belt clip ever gets old.

Now about all these rough edges everywhere... I sanded and filed as much flashing off as I could so the grip would be more comfortable. I think a slip on grip is called for with this much recoil.

KT's website doesn't list grip extensions other than the +1 mag extension. Why is that? Can I buy one elsewhere?

I'm guessing the metal guide rod is necessary on this gun?

What exactly is peening? I've searched it here and looked up the definition on several online dictionaries and nowhere can I find a straight answer as to what it is concerning this pistol. Any help with that one would be greatly appreciated. Please don't cite pictures, I can't make out what peening is just by looking at a pic. Sorry, but I tried...

All in all I'm quite pleased with this tiny pea shooter and hope it will break in right. This weekend it's going back to the range to finish breaking in, or just breaking, whichever comes first. Gotta love that full lifetime warranty! :cool:

11. Fail to eject could be a shooter related issue.  Torrent,  as you stated, this is a very small package for the .380 round.  If the shooter is not used to this much BANG in such a tiny gun, the shooter may "limp wrist' and thus encounter Failure to Eject.

"Limp Wristing" IS NOT an indication that a shooter is not strong enough to handle the gun.  Some one else will come along soon and give you details about that.

Concerning the peening:

Peening is the action of deforming metal with metal.  Think of a ball peen hammer.  In the 3AT, it is the action of  metal (spring and guide rod) against the thin area of the guide rod hole on the face of the slide.  If that area of the slide is thin enough, the slide can become deformed.

This is peening on a 3AT slide:
    [​IMG]

This is not to be confused with a slight raised ridge in this area.  The slight ridge should not cause concern.  It is when the metal is deformed to the point the hole is enlarged too much is when it can be an issue.

The end result of excessive peening is this:
    [​IMG]

I am the guy selling the buffers noted above.  I have sold maybe two sets in the last month.  (I had sold over 100 sets in the last 6-8 months) Low sales indicates to me that the "problem" has been addressed by Kel-Tec and the slides being produce today are better, or that KTOGERS have caught on to me and realized I was selling snake oil!  ;D

Check the thickness of the slide.

If it looks like this:

[​IMG]

You are good to go.

12. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks for helping me understand some of these issues I'm having. I think I can rest easy because my slide looks pretty much like the last pictures so it must be okay.

13. dgreer

dgreer New Member

Nov 14, 2007

I agree with this completely. Before my first trip to the range I found a thread on here for grip mods. On my 3AT I took a piece of rubber hose and trimmed it down to fit down the back strap. I held this in place with a strip of old bicycle inner tube that I picked up from a local bike shop...free (my favorite word).

Then over all of this I installed the Hogue Handall Jr. grip. My last plan on the grip is to use my dremel with a nylon brush to 'melt' the top edges of the rubber grip to give it a more finished look. I don't yet know how to provide links to this but I found it all on KTOG.

At the range, the rubber tubing and the grip absorbed a significant amount of the recoil. I could have shot alot of rounds before having to take a break. This particular grip has bulges on both sides and made the little gun fit my hand much better.

Good luck with your break in...greasing the rails works very well.

DG