P3AT W/CT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Chopper, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Chopper

Chopper New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I found myself reading through some previous posts and came accross the Laser vs. point/shoot argument and since I had previously ask for opinions on things that can be done to the sights of the P3AT, I thought I would toss in my two cents.
    I was originaly opposed to the idea of adding a laser but then it occured to me that if I ever needed to use my little pistol in a defensive situation, weather needed or not a laser couldn't hurt and anything that could possably give me an edge, well, I'm all for it.
    I took my new laser equiped P3AT to the range over the weekend and found it to be a great addition. I went through 100 rounds using the first two clips worth to dial in the laser at 7yds. After getting it dialed in, I had not one round ouside the 10 ring. I backed it up to 15 yds, still all 10's except for the 4rds. my nephew zipped through the head of the target. My last 6 rds of the day was a 3 inch group (4 bulls and 2 just on the line).
    ... I'm leaving the laser on.

2. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Good choice!

Craig

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Have an ArmaLaser on my practice/training P3AT but not on my carry P3AT. I am totaly convinced of the benifits of using a laser in parts of my training but uncertain whether or not it would be a benifit in all or most SD situations. A major concern I have is that I might hesitate firing the gun while looking for the dot in a daylight encounter. Any opions of this matter?

Take care...

4. kanderson586

kanderson586 New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I love my crimson trace trigger guard mounted laser although it was hard to spend as much dough on it as i did the gun but it is my always carry gun

5. Chopper

Chopper New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    BILLK,
    I thought about that very situation, and I find that I am still point shooting but now there seems to be a little red dot on what ever I'm pointing at.

6. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I am right there with you. I have an Armalaser. I put about 75 rounds through mine outside in daylight at a target about 20ft away. The laser is very accurate. I can hit shots within shots if I take my time, and with quick shooting two round bursts, I am hitting within a 3" circle. The laser on this gun gives an edge in that it allows you to shoot before having to even attempt to sight in what you are shooting at. I don't depend on the laser to sight in a target, but the little bit of edge that it can give could easily save your life if it allows you to fire quicker and more accurately.

7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Why I like my ArmaLaser a lot (applies to other brands also)!!!

1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). Not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

Bobo

8. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    One other point that Bobo didn't bring up (excellent points Bobo!) is that there might be a time when you need to fire the gun and don't want your head in sight of the badguy in question. Like around a column or tree.

As stated, you can always turn it off if you don't want it. But if you need it, you have to actually have it to use it. Kind of like the gun itself. ;)

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    You can't turn off the C/T, although you can with the ArmaLaser and other brands.

10. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    The lack of a master on/off switch has been a real negative for me.  It's much too easy for the grip mounted switch to be actuated.  I carry in my jeans watch pocket, with a Clipdraw, and I have to frequently check to see that the laser is off.  Much too easy for that little button switch to be activated.. Wouldn't take long to kill the battery if it remained  depressed in a pocket carry situation.  If I were fifty years younger, I'd figure a way to add a little switch like is on one of my other pistols.  I like the CT's layout, but don't like the possibility of a dead laser when I need it.

11. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I use a pocket holster and that is not a problem.