P3AT vs. Taurus 738 TCP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by thomasvr, Jul 6, 2011.

1. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I currently carry a PF-9 which I'm very happy with, but I've been wanting to get a P3AT as well for those summer days when concealability is an issue with just a t shirt and shorts on. So I've been trying to get my hands on a chrome P3AT lately and all of a sudden I discovered the Taurus 738 TCP. Now I"m a bit torn.

The two are very similar in size, weight, capacity, warranty, and price. The Taurus has a couple of features that the P3AT doesn't that I really like: stainless slide, ambidextrous mag release (I'm a lefty), slide stop/release, and it comes with two magazines. I've never owned a Taurus, so I can't vouch for the reliability factor, although my PF9 has proven to be very reliable so I would expect similar consistent reliability from the P3AT.

So, I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions as to other pros and cons of each that I may not have considered.
    Thanks!

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    P3AT is made in the USA if that matters. Not certain about the Taurus, I think it is an import. I'd also check out the S&W BodyGuard .380 if you have any interest in maybe adding a laser to your .380.

3. thomasvr

thomasvr New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I know the company started in Brazil, but I believe they're making guns here now. Actually, if you look at the picture really close you can see "Made in USA" engraved just below the TCP inscription on the grip.
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-de...Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=738

4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Spec's don't mean everything when it comes to size, I own both a Taurus 738 SS and a blued P3AT. My general impression is that the Taurus 738 is noticeably bulkier and more angular in a small jean pocket than the P3AT and slightly slower to draw. I oil the outside of my blued P32 and P3AT with a drop of CLP or Ballistol every so often and haven't noticed any corrosion problems. I recently got a chromed P-32 and have been happy with the results from it so the Chromes P3AT should be good too.

Best Regards: :)

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I know the company started in Brazil, but I believe they're making guns here now. Actually, if you look at the picture really close you can see "Made in USA" engraved just below the TCP inscription on the grip.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know that. Glad I didn't stick my foot in my mouth by insisting that they were imported. :)

Bill K.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IIRC, there are firearms import laws that for many years have no longer allowed very small pistols like derringers and pocket guns to be imported.  This may go back to 1968, I forget which legislation it is.  Anyway, back when those laws were passed, compaines like FIE (Titan) could no longer import their small pistols into the country which is why those were produced in FL for a time, before the company finally shut down.  This is also at least one reason that companies like Glock cannot produce a pocket pistol.  They would have to manufacture it in the USA.

Regarding Pic Pete's comment about the little Taurus, which I have handled but not shot, agreed.  It is somewhat blocky and the grip felt fat.  It seemed to have sharper egdes and lacked the "melt job" of the P3AT and a couple others.  Because of Taurus' relative popularity, I would image the little gun is selling well but extensive (long term) reviews have been few.  Several that I have seen were hit and miss on reliability.  And, although they almost surely have improved over the old days of horror stories, I think Tarurus service still has a ways to go to catch up with KT.

7. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    [/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know that. Glad I didn't stick my foot in my mouth by insisting that they were imported.  :)

Bill K.
    [/quote]

You never know anymore.  My stainless Springfield 1911A1 is stamped Made in Brazil.....   :-/

8. wolfcrik

wolfcrik New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I am not a Taurus basher, and have a 94 .22 that I like. I had a Millpro 9mm.

However, the largest local gun shop guys told me Saturday that Taurus quality control has gone way back down in the last year. They are sending lots of guns back for customers.

In my opinion, Taurus is trying to make way too many new models at once.

P3At has been on the street longer. For me that would count for a lot.

9. Uncle_Jesse

Uncle_Jesse New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Taurus bought out Rossi and they also were making some guns for Legacy under the Puma name. They are all owned by BrazilTech, however some are made here in Fl. I have 2 of their revolvers and one Lever action rifle and have not had a single issue. Solid and well made and very reliable, I would assume their little autos are the same. I have heard the horror stories about their CS but have never needed it.

With that said my BUG is a P3AT and I could not be happier and have no intention of switching.

10. Reneker

Reneker New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Take a look at how the round moves from the magazine into the chamber on each. The P3AT seems to have a more "direct" line from the mag into the chamber. Will that cause a problem? I don't know but since the round will travel "straighter" into the chamber of the P3AT I think that is an advantage. I like the look and other features of the Taurus but when the SHTF, trust me I know, simplicity is your friend. Whichever you choose, shoot, shoot and shoot some more until you are confident your firearm will do the job. :)

11. marv

marv New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I have both. I like the trigger on the 738 better and it is more comfortable to shoot. However, it has those sharp corners and edges that sometimes negate its concealability. The P3AT has been melted and rounded and is more carryable. I carry first one and the other depending on what I'm wearing.