p3at vs. ruger lcp

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by moose102, Jul 13, 2008.

1. moose102

moose102 New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    i have both of these now, and i am doing kind of a side by side comparison of them. so far, i have shot about 200 more rounds out of the kel tec than the ruger. my kel tec has had to go back to the factory once. they replaced the slide due to misfires after about 200 rounds. anyway. some of the things i have noticed are: the kel tec has much better checkering and is easier to control than the ruger. the p3at's checkering is "like" it is cut in and the rugers is "like" the old stamped checkering that glenfeild used to use on their rifles. there is something to hold onto, but it is not sharp like the kel-tec's. also, both guns accuracy improves drasticly with the addition of the "finger extension" on the bottom of the magazine. but due to the sharper checkering on the kel tec, it wins the accuracy race, at least in my hands. both guns require "break in" before they will feed and fire without jamming. it can be speeded along with some fine detailing of all the sharp edges. i used a super fine honing stone to remove the sharp edges from both of my pistols. also, for me, i have found it benificial to dismantle the magazines, clean them thouroughly, and coat them with spray on (lyman super moly spray lube ) moly dry lubricant. it allows everything to move much easier, and as an added feature, it draws no dust or lint (like oils can). which can be an important consideration if you are going to pocket carry one of these. this also helps with the feeding and lessens jams during the "break in" period. the sights, while slighly different in actual shape, have the same outline when firing. they really are not much to look at. if someone ever decided to try to target shoot one of these, they would almost have to mill off the little bumps that are there and mount a decent set of sights. of course, for the intended purpose ( very close quarters personal defense) of these little pocket guns, they are about all that is necessary. i must add here though, after the addition of the finger extensions, i did shoot a target about 3' square @ 100 yards with both pistols. i hit 3 out of 6 with both pistols at this range. with the tiny sights and  short sight radius, and my novice 50+ year old eyes, i didnt think that was so bad. there has been a lot of talk about ruger simply copying kel tec's p3at. while they do look quite similar, let me assure you there was definatly some engineering used during research and design. there are some parts that bear resemblence to the KT, but they by no means interchange. they are two different pistols. all of this above is just my opinion. i am hoping to clear up any misconceptions of either of these pistols. i will be happy to answer questions about either of them, providing i know the answer. i will not answer smart allec wise cracks, or attacks on my opinions. i simply hope to help someone who is "on the fence" trying to decide wheather he/she wants one of these little giants or not with my own unbiased opinion of each of their performance. i sincerly hope i can.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Thanks Moose. It looks like you have spent some time comparing them.

Just a small suggestion that some paragraphs and capitals might make your report a bit easier to read.

-Scott

3. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    What Scott said.

Also, the slide from one will fit on the other.

As do the grips. And a lot of the internals.

It's the ruger Little Copied Pistol. And always shall be.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    It has been My Discretion to sent post discusing the Ruger to OTHER GUNs, if this becomes a bash of either, it will also.

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    do not take this the wrong way, but as a multi-lcp and multi-p3at owner, and someone who has the first LCP here on the board, what parts do not interchange?

even the frame fits the p3at grip with a little minor modification for a slide lock....

6. CHW111

CHW111 New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Boca Raton, Florida
    I work the gun shows here in Flordia for a gun dealer . If you have a P-3AT don't be in a hurry to get a LCP,wate untell the price comes down.Also the P-3AT comes with a life time warranty, take a look at the warranty on the Ruger LCP.
    :cool: ;) :-?

7. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Hopefully I won't step on a landmine here :). I haven't seen an LCP so I can't say whether I think it is or is not a copy. I can say that I have seen the effects of one company copying another and it is something I would never support. When someone like KelTec decides to go into business providing a gun that no one else (like say Ruger) sees a need for, they stick their neck way out for the shooting public. It is more often the smaller companies that are willing to take that risk. Make no mistake, it takes serious money to build the tooling and do the engineering to bring something like the P3AT to market. When another company plays it safe and then copies a design that actually defies the odds and becomes successful, they are not screwing that company. They are screwing US. They are sending a message that anyone you tries to innovate stands the risk of having it stolen. That puts a damper on a lot of people that might otherwise bring us some very cool new products. When the buying public condons that behavior by buying the copy, they become an accomplice. Just ask the question: Would we have an LCP if there were no P3AT? Get rid of the innovators and we'll be stuck with what the big boys decide we should have. The biggest losers won't be the KelTecs, it will be US.. People who have never been involved in manufacturing mistakenly believe that there are patent laws that protect people like KelTec. Let me assure you that patents protect the wealthy, not the victimized.

I'm picking up my second P3AT tomorrow.

8. Brett

Brett New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    So I guess all you guys screaming "rip-off" would not consider buying any 1911, SAA or AR-15 which do not have "Colt" stamped on them. Give me a break. ::)

I got to handle a LCP today and I was very impressed with it's feel, fit and finish.

Here is a link to a good and I think fair review of the LCP and a by the numbers comparison of the LCP and P3AT. The LCP appears to be beefier and better made than the P3. Only time will tell.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Brett, I'll make it short. Since you are new, you missed it. When the Little Copied Pistol was released, it turned into a 36 page thread here.

We won't rehash the same arguments again and again. Your point of view was represented in that thread. It was in the minority. But it was also agreed that we all have opinions, morals, what-have-you.

We all can live by what rules/morals we choose. We can chose to support/not support companies that we don't agree with.

Most have agreed that ruger stole a design, then lied about it. The whole 1911 thing doesn't apply. The other companies didn't release a "new" gun and call it something else. They said "It's our take on the 1911." ruger said "We came up with this brand new weapon totally engineered by us." They lied.

Is it a good gun? From RJ's reports, yes. I'd trust him on anything. I'll never personally know, as I won't buy one.

But knock yourself out!

:)

10. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
     Yep, I only buy Leatherman multitools too for the same reason.  The AR and the 1911 were in the public domain from the get-go because the military doesn't buy critical equipment from any one source.  There was also a lot of public money that went into the development of both.  You either open it up or no military sale.  Heck, I think even GM was making 1911's for a while.  I'm not telling anyone what to do.  I'm just stating my position and why.  I don't support the hijacking of any man's work.  If other people don't see it that way, I'm fine with that too.

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    this is going into discussions that sound like it belongs in other guns

12. alphonso

alphonso New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Three inch group at 100 yards... ::)

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    He said a 3 FOOT square. ;)

14. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    I have no real problem with Ruger using the design after I sat and gave it some thought for awhile. Its done all the time, from cars to clothes.
    What does twitst my shorts in a knot is all the gun rags and advertisement, they act like Ruger invented it. "Oh look here, a brand new .380 on the market!" Yeah right you should have been looking for the last 5 or more years, the same thing was out there then.
    I figure old man Ruger is probably spinning in his grave to know that his company that has come out with some very good engineering in the past is now reduced to copying the new kid on the block.

15. kurtiss

kurtiss New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Thanks for this thread. I am looking at purchasing one or the other within the next 60 days or so.

16. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I was just going to ignore the original post (too hard to read) until JFB paragraphed it - THANKS JFB!!

A very good post once it became more readable - THANKS MOOSE102!!

Bobo

17. WingedWarrior

WingedWarrior New Member

May 23, 2008
    I've not seen this mentioned anywhere yet.  If it has been, I apologize.  Anyway, the July 2008 "Guns & Ammo" magazine ran a review of the Ruger LCP.  Unless I just can't find it, nowhere in the article is any mention whatsoever of the P3AT.  Now that I think about it, I don't know if there is any mention of any other 380, though I've not re-read the article to see.  What do you make of the omission (other than perhaps some bucks maybe coming from Ruger??? *g*)?

WW
    P3AT owner

18. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    36"  at 300 ft =
    18"  at 150 ft =
    9"    at 75 ft =
    4.5" at  37.5ft =
    2.25" at 18.75 ft
    OK

Most Gunzeens are among the worst possible places to get practical info on firearms.  Guess who mostly subsidizes the Zeens via advertising.

In any case I do not own or have shot a LCP, have owned a P3 for almost 3 yrs with over 1000 rounds thru it and look forward to shooting a LCP.

19. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    My question is a simple one: Does the owner's manual for the Ruger LCP state anything about a required "break-in period", ie, (50-100 rounds) as does the owner's manual for the P3AT?

If so, how many rounds?

Thank you,

Old Bill

20. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    lets see, I made the same offer many months ago, no one took me up on it.

good luck.

virtual-rj, 13000+ verified rounds and counting (man, ammo is expensive)....why won't it just break....