P3AT vs Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TNHitter, Aug 4, 2009.

1. TNHitter

TNHitter New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Hello all,

I recently bought a PF9 and love it, no problems with it at all. Now I am looking at a .380 to CCW when my PF9 wont fit the bill.

Ive been looking at the P3AT and Ruger LCP, can anyone provide benefits of the P3AT over the LCP, other than price?

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

3. StanSimmons

StanSimmons New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Price and warranty pretty much cover it.

The LCP is a copy of the the P3AT. Why pay more for a slightly prettier finish?

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  5. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ruger copied it. Made it better looking and then then had to recall them. [smiley=laugh.gif]

6. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    OK, I will give you my 2 cents as a P3AT owner as to why I would choose the P3AT, however they are very similar.  

• I think that there is much better community support of the P3AT than the Ruger, as documented by the website.
    • A simpler machine with less to go wrong; i.e. the hold open feature on the slide (although some like it due to range rules - you can use a butane lighter as a hold open for the range)
    • KelTek customer service versus Ruger customer service

Now, since I am thinking of getting a larger more powerful 9mm like the PF9, just when doesn't the PF9 "fit the bill?"  I would like to understand what it is about the PF-9 that you are slightly dissatisfied with.

I really have fallen in love with the P3AT and pocket carry, but would like a little more power than the Browning 9mm Short (i.e. 380) and was thinking that 9mm Parabellum in a PF-9 or Kahr CW-9 was a step in the right direction for pocket carry that is both very compact and very light.  The P3AT is a superb pocket carry handgun that is completely concealable.

I have found that both weight and size are bigger factors than I had guessed when it comes to pocket carry.   When I really feel I need protection I have some very large caliber (45 ACP 1911, 44 Rem Mag snubnose revolver, 357 Ruger revolver) handguns and inside the waistband holsters, but really have grown fond of pocket carry with the P3AT and fear anything much bigger than a P3AT will just not be as pleasant and doable. That is why I wonder if the PF-9 is just a little too big or heavy some of the time?

7. TNHitter

TNHitter New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    The weight is never a problem and if I didnt want to pocket carry, I could always keep the PF9 with me. Some of my attire such as dress slacks have shallow pockets and therefore the butt of the gun it a little to close to the opening of my pocket for my personal comfort.

My PF9 fits great in jeans, casual shorts, and even some dress slacks. I actually forget i am wearing it sometimes....sign of a good CCW!

I think the ability to pocket carry a PF9 will depend on your build;however I suggest you get one anyways =)

8. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    When I asked my LGC about buying an LCP(knowing I already purchased a P3AT in the past from him he said...why?)
    Why would you want to buy a copy of what you already own and there is no recall on your P3AT.  I said it looked cleaner and prettier.  He said you are out of your mind and to stick with the P3AT because they are reliable and have a lifetime warranty. He also asked me if I was having any problems with my P3AT and I said no, it fires everytime.  he then laughed and said do you hear yourself talking ? Even though he could make money on a sale he told me to go home and enjoy what I had. He also said he had plenty of .380 ammo, so I bought one box.
    Anyway, long story short. Keltec's are very well made and very reliable.

9. TNHitter

TNHitter New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies, P3AT is my next purchase =)

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    A dealer at a gun show in Deland, Florida about 10 days ago, who had Elsie Peas for sale for, I think $340 N.I.B., told me that the Ruger was better looking but the K/T was more comfortable to grip. At least he was honest!  :eek:

11. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, you have encouraged me to move forward on expanding my pocket carry life adventure.  I sincerely hope that my P3AT is not the jealous type.  

I have had a concealed license for quite a while and periodically carried various handguns in inside the wasteband holsters or outside the waistband holsters.  I wasn't comfortable carry that way every day.  A friend of mine talked me into purchasing a Baby Browning in .25 Auto.  I really like John M. Browning design features so I purchased it at a very modest price.  I started pocket carrying the Baby Browing on those days I didn't put a IWB or OWB holster.

At a gunshow, I had a moment of truth, when I picked up a new in the box P3AT.  I cleaned it, oiled it, greased it and it was great for pocket carry.  Let me suggest a good Molly grease (TS-70 Molly grease  http://www.tsmoly.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=217  ) for use in your P3AT.  I have had no FTE or FTF problems.

Pocket carry is addictive to me.  I still have the ability to do an IWB or OWB hoster in a truly powerful caliber, but without pocket carry, I would not carry every day and would not carry from when I get up and put on my pants to at night when I take them off.  In situations from carjacking, dropping by a convienence store for something on the way home, or a home invasion, with pocket carry I have better survival options.  When I take my P3AT out of my pocket to go into a government building or school, I feel very vulnerable in comparision.  I can understand your desire for those times when you can't carry your PF-9, that you would like a pocket carry alternative like the P3AT.

Thank you again for sharing.

12. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Just what do you feel you need protection from with the 44 Rem Mag ;D  roque elaphant   :D  Joking of course, couldn't pass on that :cool:

I am new to CCW.  But so far, around the house I have found the P3AT very comfortable and forgetable.  Don't have experience with the PF9.

13. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    If you consider Kel-Tec's legendary customer support (free parts!), and the support you will receive here if something goes wrong, you'll probably do well to buy the P3AT. The LCP is just an almost literally part-for-part copy of the P3AT that is more expensive, albeit a bit nicer looking. It offers no extra firepower, no extra capacity and no enhanced reliability.

14. phil_evans

phil_evans New Member

Nov 3, 2006
    austin tx
    [b]thickness[/b] is the critical factor with me, .75 or 1.00 inch is a big difference.
    when carrying in desantis or uncle mikes sidekick holster in front pocket.
    without holster.
    wrap muzzle in handkerchief which is what i do 90% of the time.

15. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    doesnt the lcp come with two magazines? thats a $25 value. on the other hand i believe the lcp still suffers from the trigger "bug" that kel-tec since has fixed?

16. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    Seriously, when I go hiking in the woods and lace up my hiking boots, I usually slip my 44 Rem Mag, Astra Stainless Steel, Terminator, snubnose revolver into an Uncle Mikes inside the waistband holster and hide it all under a loose fleece jacket.  I live in western Washingtion, where your chance of meeting large groups of people on a trail on a weekend day is almost 100%.  Furthermore, most of them are tree huggers who freak out at open carry.  I don't need or appreciate the drama I have to deal with, with open carry among such folks.

I have gotten off the beaten path and seen small black bear and fairly large elk.  There are also a lot of 2-legged vermin that break into vehicles at trail heads.  I want something that I can carry (either a 44 Rem Mag that is concealable or a small 357 Ruger Security Six that I have some 200 grain bullets I hand loaded) that will STOP any two-legged or four-legged problems.  

Looking at the size of the hole in the barrel of the 44 Rem Mag and the holes in the cylinder is pretty sobering.  Having seen what a 44 Rem Mag can do is also pretty impressive.  Having spent range time and dealt with the sore wrist afterwards from the "light" snubnosed revolver with the kick and muzzel flip is also an experience.  If some think that a P3AT can induce "limp wristing" they should experience the degree of recoil absorbtion required to handle a snubnose 44 Rem Mag.  Not looking for protection from Rogue elephants, but looking for something that could stop an elk.

17. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I thought it was only one tbh.

Aside from that P3AT has better grip, is lighter weight, better trigger, better support and customer service to name just a few. I love my pocket rocket and instead of buying an LCP I bought a P32 and I love it to death, especially since I can find ammo for it right now, LOL.

18. yardbird2

yardbird2 New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    the ruger lcp  comes with one magazine.

19. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Seriously, when I go hiking in the woods and lace up my hiking boots, . . . .  I don't need or appreciate the drama I have to deal with, with open carry among such folks.

.  Not looking for protection from Rogue elephants, but looking for something that could stop an elk.[/quote]

Of course I was just joking with you. ;D You have some very good points, and reasoning. :cool:

20. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I own both guns. My Elsie Pea dreams about becoming a P3AT when it grows up. Seriously, my P3AT is 100% reliable and always has been. My LCP is only @ 95% reliable. The sad fact is that I had to do a F&B on the LCP just to get it to 95%.

Why do I own both? I bought the LCP first not knowing it was also known as the Little Counterfeit Pistol. Kel-Tec was not even on my radar screen when I bought the Elsie Pea. I discovered Ruger stole the design while looking for a pocket holster for the LCP. That knowledge led me first to buy a PF-9 and then a P3AT. If I had to choose between the P3AT and the LCP, it's a no-brainer for me.