P3AT VS Powder coating??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bensin2, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

Has anyone ever had a slide powder coated? Will it hold up to the heat? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brent

2. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    What heat? I have a motorcycle with parts on the motor that are powder coated so I think that it should work for a slide. Someday I would like to put a new finish on my KTs but not sure what to go with.

3. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

The slide heats up when firing the pistol. I didn't think it would get hot enough to hurt the coating but everyone I've talked to says it will.

Another isssue I've heard is the powder coating is to thick. Whats your thoughts on that?

Thanks,
    Brent

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I agree with PC being a problem with thickness but would not at all be concerned about heat.

-Scott

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    At one time I was involved with powder coating at the place I worked. The stuff is hard as rock and even paint strippers won't hurt it. Heat up to maybe 800-1200 degrees shouldn't hurt it if properly cured. It can be applied to as little as 1-3 mils thickness, or as much as 50-60 mils. It will do real well in friction type areas where 2 surfaces slide together, but it does chip when banged around. Once chipped, theres almost no way to repair it and the chipped area will continue to come off, especially if solvents (which don't hurt it from the outside) get under the finish. Not sure it's a great idea for firearm applications.