P3AT vs PF9/P11

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MphsTiger1981, Oct 22, 2010.

1. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I've been thinking about selling my P3AT to a friend who has expressed interest in it, then taking the proceeds and buying either a PF9 or a P11.

My main concealed carry pistol is a Glock 19, so if I was to buy one of the KT 9mm's I would only need to keep one caliber of ammo on hand instead of two, and the 9mm target ammo is about half the price of the .380 and much more plentiful in my immediate area. Quality SD ammo is about the same price.

I like to pocket carry my P3AT in a DeSantis pocket holster, but in all honesty, pocket carry seems to have a disadvantage in that it's hard to do while moving, driving, or while seated. I think one of the main attributes of the P3AT is it's concealability. If I choose not to pocket carry, and used an IWB or similar holster system, the other KT 9mm's are just a tad bigger, why not carry the 9mm's instead of the .380?

I guess this thread is simply thinking out loud and asking for input from those who might own both the P3AT and one of the KT 9mm's, either now, or in the past. Pros and Cons? And yes, as much as I'd love to I can't afford to just keep this one and buy one of the 9mm. It has to be keep it or sell it to buy a new one. Sorry if I'm rambling, it's been a long week.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I started with the p3at and still have it 2 yrs later.
    I carry in the front pocket or jacket pocket during the winter.
    I then bought a used P11. Too big for pocket carry compared to the p3at.
    I then got to handle the pf9. Sold the p11 and bought the pf9.
    I now have both the p3at and the pf9. I will never give up the p3at for a 9mm. The p3at is able to always be with me in my pocket.
    I have several guns, but nothing beats the p3at for concealed carry with no hassel.
    The difference between the p11 and pf9 are not much until you stick it in your waistband.
    Then you'll notice the difference.

I dont think you'd be disapointed in the pf9..it's still a very small gun. I just don't like carrying a big gun around.

3. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks Yooper,

I have recently fondled both the PF9 and the P11 at the LGS. I have never fired the PF9, but I shot an older model P11 about two years ago. I remember the long trigger pull (maybe 11 or 12 lbs.?) but I don't remember much about the recoil. I'm also curious about the recoil of the PF9 compared to the P3AT. I'm sure it's also probably a handful.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the tradition I was raised with was a 25 in the pocket, so when I first picked up a P3AT it just felt right for in the pocket, even with my deviation from tradition and going with a holster, it still is a good pocket gun, with weight being the big advantage over the other 380s. IF i had to have a 9mm, then maybe the R9.
    when I handled the P11/P9, one knows pocket carry would be pushhing the limits so that means IWB. If I was going for OWB holstering, then I want a better show piece with polished steel and walnut grips

If going IWB and already having the G19, what advantage would the p11/p9 provide?

5. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    the tradition I was raised with was a 25 in the pocket, so when I first picked up a P3AT it just felt right for in the pocket,  even with my deviation from tradition and going with a holster, it still is a good pocket gun, with weight being the big advantage over the other 380s.  IF i had to have a 9mm, then maybe the R9.
    when I handled the P11/P9, one knows pocket carry would be pushhing the limits so that means IWB.  If I was going for OWB holstering, then I want a better show piece with polished steel and walnut grips

If going IWB and already having the G19, what advantage would the p11/p9 provide? [/quote]

As usual JFB, you make good points.

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I carry the P32/P3AT about 75% of the time since they have enough firepower to get me out of a bad situation to help or something better.  The PF-9 and G-26 are reserved for cold weather or bad situations.  I feel comfortable carry either the PF-9 or G-26 all day long, and have done so.  The PF-9 has the edge in concealment, but the G-26 is easier to fire rapid fire, plus 3-5 extra rounds does make a difference,  My son who's larger typically carries his PF-9 IWB and doesn't pocket carry.  It's really your personal preference and body type that determine how you'll carry.

I've pocket carried the PF-9, but it's been in the winter in coat pockets, so it's been relegated to IWB carry.  Like JFB's family my Grandfather regularly carried a Colt or Beretta  25 automatic, and another other family members carried a Colt 32.  The pistol was carried in a coat, vest, or jacket pocket, and was more accessible than a pants pocket.  The P-32 and P3AT are just much more concealable or handy than the PF-9.  I considered owning P-11, but went with the G-26, since I already have a full size Glock 9MM, and Sub2k that takes Glock mags.  The G-26 also has the advantage in my opinion that it can handle hotter ammo too.  That being it's the P-32 an then the P3At that carried the most.

Best Regards:

sp. correction

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Not quite so...mine carried ravens, fie and other SNSs. I was concerded weird when I bought a Berreta ;D

8. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I carry my P11 IWB with belt clip in the winter months. I wear suspenders over an undershirt, with a Polo type shirt over the suspenders. In the summer, I do not wear the undershirt. I don't like the suspenders on my skin, so I wear my polo type shirt tucked into my jeans, and my suspenders over the shirt. Thus, a P3AT in the pocket is my warm weather gun. I change weapons like I change my seasonal clothing.

Life is short, be happy

9. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Right now as I type this, I'm preparing to meet up with some friends for my weekly long run. I'm training for my first half marathon and we'll run 14 miles. This morning we're running the race route that I'll be running in December. Most of this is in downtown Memphis, only a few blocks from Beale St. The bars don't close up until 5am on Beale, so I'm concerned that we might run into some late night/early morning partiers on the way home.

I'm wearing my Smart Carry under my running shorts with the P3AT tucked inside with the 9 shot magazine in the backup position. I've worn the G19 on shorter runs, but it does get a little heavy. I would feel a little more comfortable if I had the G26 although it doesn't weigh but a few measly ounces less than the G19, the smaller package would make it easier to carry in this particular situation. I also think the PF9 might also be a good fit for this situation. Like Pete always says, I'm not anticipating fighting Chinese hoards, but the fact is some of these folks seem to run in packs and I doubt anyone ever involved in a gunfight ever wished they were carrying less gun when it broke out. :)

10. TNWNGR

TNWNGR New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I’ve pocket carried the P-32 in the past as well as a Berretta 950 in .25 ACP, the P3AT is an ideal size, weight and caliber for this purpose, one’s on my “to buy” list. Recoil wise the P3AT feel’s just a tad more “snappy” to me than the PF-9, but then I’ve carried and shot J-frame Airweights with +p 38 Special round’s in them as well as a M-19 2.5” loaded on the warmish side with .357 Magnum’s. I own and carry a PF-9. Hand’s down for its size and caliber I don’t think you can beat it for IWB or OWB concealed carry. :)

11. dougc541

dougc541 New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    I want em both. I ended up buying the p-9 over the P3AT because: bigger caliber is better,right? i already have 9s and 9mm ammo, 38 ammo 357 ammo, why by yet another kind of ammo.
    Now i just want the smallest pocket pistol i can get . All my logical reasons are out the window.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This   [smiley=smiley_down.gif]

I have no shortage of handguns, including all Kel-tec concealed carry pistols in multiple copies.  Although I often do, I don't much like carrying guns.  Heck, I don't much like wearing a watch or carrying a wallet.  In terms of concealed carry, I tote as much as I can without being uncomfortable or inconvienenced.  The P3AT is the last pistol I'd sell.  ymmv...

13. uncledub

uncledub Member Supporter

Feb 16, 2009
    Alabama, USA
    I have both. The P3AT rides in my right front pocket all the time and the PF9 rides in my truck all the time. I prefer the .380 for the size. The PF9 is there so I do not have to take the other out of my pocket when I am driving. Sometimes I carry the 9 in a jacket pocket or a vest. Works very well with a tuckable IWB holster as well.
    Never owned or even shot a P11 so I will reserve comment on it.

14. Ogre

Ogre New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I think people get too caught up in the "either or" debate. The P3AT is a great pocket pistol, and packs an adequate punch. Very useful for what it was designed to do, and there are always going to be times when it is the most appropriate weapon to carry. If you could only afford one gun, and availability of .380 ammo was not an issue, I'd say stick with it.

However, I think the P11 has a place as well. I flat out don't like how the PF9 feels in my hand, so I won't buy one. However, the P11 feels pretty good. It's about the same size as my Bersa .380, and I can pocket carry that, so I could see myself buying one sometime for general carry purposes and to have weapon chambered for an alternative round. And 9x19 is a pretty inexpensive and potent alternative. However, it will never be able to be concealed as easily as a P3AT, and I often have a need for a weapon so easy to conceal.

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    IMHO if you're not going to pocket carry or Smart Carry or ankle carry then I see the PF9 being a better choice than the P3AT.

Bill K.

16. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Now this discussion has me thinking I need to look at the PF9 vs the P11 for my next pistol.  Why do I continue to read these threads when I should just leave well enough alone. ;)

Sorry I can't answer the OP since I only have the P3AT at this point, but I am following this with interest.

17. Profirefighter

Profirefighter New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hanceville, Alabama
    I have been carrying my P3AT for several years now yearround. I just aquired a PF-9 and have been carrying it in my inner jacket pocket and really haven't noticed a lot of differece. I know that it is a lot bigger, but my jacket pocket is plenty big. I am waiting on my local gunshop to get the belt clip in for the PF-9 so I can try it. I have one on my P3AT and love it for in the waistband carry for summer.

18. jbrannon2

jbrannon2 New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    pf9 rocks Perfect size.

19. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    I to have been a P3AT owner for a few years, started with the p32 then upgraded when the P3AT came out. I have resisted the PF9 for a few years, but just bought a PF9 a few weeks ago. I see a place for both. I plan on carrying the PF9 the most in a OWB holster concealed under a shirt as much as I can, prefer the 9mm over .380. But will carry the P3AT when I'm to lazy for the PF9. So time will tell which one wins over with the most carry time. The PF9 is the newer toy, so it is prefer right now. On duty, I will stick to my Glock 22 .40

20. gbarber010

gbarber010 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Prattville, AL
    Forgot to add, the P3AT has a very good place as my back up for my Glock 22 or my PF9 off duty.