Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a P3AT used and to my surprise I love the gun. Been daily carry, and happy with it.

It's been used (but not abused) and I'm thinking I'd like to make it even better.

Talk to me about springs, etc. I see the stock ones on Numrich and then I see the "better" ones on another site. What's the suggestions with these?

Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
Why were you surprised that you like the smallest and lightest 380 on the market designed and built by experts in the gun manufacturing industry?
And you want to make it better?
Have you been designing and building guns your whole life or is this your first shot at improving on Kel Tec research, development and safety?
I am not trying to be the North end of a South bound horse but I trust
Kel Tec completely! Now I don't know where you carry your firearms but I carry my P3AT very close to the family jewels!
So please, let me just suggest, that you be very careful when trying to spruce up something that can hurt you severely, kill you or in my case
"blow my head off"!
Bought a P3AT used and to my surprise I love the gun. Been daily carry, and happy with it.

It's been used (but not abused) and I'm thinking I'd like to make it even better.

Talk to me about springs, etc. I see the stock ones on Numrich and then I see the "better" ones on another site. What's the suggestions with these?

Thanks!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh? I posted about ensuring that my KT is up to par and maintained to be the best firearm it can be. Is there something wrong with you or do you just reply like a fool on every post?

I usually have GREAT luck on firearm forums. Hopefully everyone isn't like you. If you don't have answers or you don't know just scroll past instead of posting something stupid.

Thanks!

· Registered
9,018 Posts
On the original topic. As the P3AT is out of production I'd not run extremely hot ammo. Also I'd replace the recoil springs with stock springs & carry often shoot seldom. This is a bad breath range "get the [email protected]#& off me" kinda gun.

FWIW, as you are both new guys here is a heads up. This not like your normal gun forum. We are kinda like family & play nice.

Read the Forum Rules, all the way to the end. Specifically I refer to Item I

I. KEEP IT NICE: Discussion needs to be respectful and civil in order to keep this a place where constructive information can be shared. Be tolerant of opposing opinions. Address the issues and do not engage in personal attacks. Do not call someone out to berate their point of view. See paragraph III B for further elaboration which applies to all posting on this forum.
L4E & TxCajun have a lot on their plate & don't need additional headaches.

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
Huh? I posted about ensuring that my KT is up to par and maintained to be the best firearm it can be. Is there something wrong with you or do you just reply like a fool on every post?

I usually have GREAT luck on firearm forums. Hopefully everyone isn't like you. If you don't have answers or you don't know just scroll past instead of posting something stupid.

Thanks!
Indeed I assume that new member misconstrued your intent. I understood you were talking about changing out springs and/or keeping spare replacement parts and nothing more. Having said that, we here at ktog do NOT use words like "fool" or "stupid" in reference to other members. IMHO, your response was worse than his transgression. You could have simply ignored him or made a simple clarification without resorting to name-calling.

Reactions: oldpetetht

· Registered
2 Posts
Guys I certainly apologize to the forum and oldpetetht to you also!
I reread and can see I would have faired much better at expressing my love for KelTec and their guns, while adding a little humor, by omitting a couple of sentences.
Oldpetetht, I let a supposedly good gun man make some spring changes to my KelTec P-11 to improve it?
I believe you said you wanted to make your P3AT better?
Between the magazine spring and recoil spring changes I had a pistol that when I finally got the slide racked then released sometimes I had to a loaded chamber and sometimes did not!
I am not a gunsmith so I depend on KelTec to supply me with a gun to fire when I want it to and not fire unless I want it to!
Sorry I offended you!
I will stick to facts if I make any future posts and leave the humor to "real" comedians!

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
Many if not most small internal parts and springs for P32 and P3At are the same. I would 1st call KT to see what P3AT parts they have. Their springs are good quality silicon springs. I imagine the recoil springs for the two may be different, I forget.

Reactions: Jimmy Hoffa

· Registered
109 Posts
Since when do families "play nice" - some do, some don't. I prefer to think of KTOG is more like the sportsmen's club of which I've been a member for 40+ years. 99% are great guys and the other 1% don't last very long.

· Registered
109 Posts
The P3AT epitomizes Kel-Tec: It's innovative, reliable (with appropriate ammo), and affordable. It's not a competition piece meant to fire 10,000 rounds. But for an EDC piece, it's almost impossible to beat. My stock P3AT is always at hand, and I know I can rely on it.

Interesting, isn't it, that Ruger copied the P3AT with its original LCP. I heard that some parts would interchange. But the Ruger had 3 safety recalls - the P3AT had none. Yet from the gun press' coverage of Kel-Tec products, Kel-Tec is the Rodney Dangerfield of gun manufacturers.

· Registered
6 Posts
I sent mine to Galloway and had them do the works. I also sent the slide to Innivative Arms (?) and had front tritium sight installed, the rear milled out, and the slide was done in burnt bronze coating of some type. Laser sights too...came with a pocket holster.

Shoots great, eats everything, carry every day for years Oh, add-on pinky things for my two mags.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The P3AT epitomizes Kel-Tec: It's innovative, reliable (with appropriate ammo), and affordable. It's not a competition piece meant to fire 10,000 rounds. But for an EDC piece, it's almost impossible to beat. My stock P3AT is always at hand, and I know I can rely on it.

Interesting, isn't it, that Ruger copied the P3AT with its original LCP. I heard that some parts would interchange. But the Ruger had 3 safety recalls - the P3AT had none. Yet from the gun press' coverage of Kel-Tec products, Kel-Tec is the Rodney Dangerfield of gun manufacturers.

I have to say - I own a Ruger LCP MAX - and although the MAX is still new and isn't the way I want it -- the P3AT is a better carry. That's just IMHO.

I also agree that the trades treats Kel-Tec like junk. I have a P17 by them that I love. They aren't pretty - but they always work.

· Registered
381 Posts
My advice is to stick with stock parts. Little guns like that can be very finicky with ammo and parts so staying stock is the safe bet.

The only thing I did with mine was to add an Armalaser which I have now had for over 12 years. With the practically non existent sights on the P3 it really helps with aiming even over short distances which the gun was designed for. At those close ranges it’s not necessary to bring that pistol up to eye level and that’s where the laser really helps IMO. It’s an excellent basic weapon or BUG. Superior to the Ruger.

· Registered
368 Posts
I put the MCARBO spring kit in my P11 and it makes the trigger pull a little less painful. I don't think they have a kit for the P3AT. Galloway sells a mainspring. The best thing I ever added to my P3 was an RTK trigger but they are out of business.

· Registered
6 Posts
Oh boy, it was quite some time ago. Not cheap. I see the price is 200 and up. But I've spent stupid money on my piece...I have the "can't leave well enough alone" bug.

Wood Hardwood Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal

· Registered
Too many guns. But then again, there's no such thing.
13 Posts
Why were you surprised that you like the smallest and lightest 380 on the market designed and built by experts in the gun manufacturing industry?
Have you been designing and building guns your whole life or is this your first shot at improving on Kel Tec research, development and safety?

Now I don't know where you carry your firearms but I carry my P3AT very close to the family jewels!
The OP asked some logical and sensible questions, so try backing off on the criticism and sarcasm.

Also, I don't think that I'd brag about carrying a 3AT (or any other firearm) "close to the family jewels." You might want to consider incorporating some safety in your carrying practices.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am not trying to be the North end of a South bound horse but I trust
Kel Tec completely! Now I don't know where you carry your firearms but I carry my P3AT very close to the family jewels!
So please, let me just suggest, that you be very careful when trying to spruce up something that can hurt you severely, kill you or in my case
"blow my head off"!
I have to agree with johnhernam1948. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Smallest, lightest 380 on the market," ditto. The only thing you might consider are magazine extensions. It installed them years ago and they provide a much more comfortable grip for larger hands, without significant dimensional changes.
My P3AT is solid as a rock. I can't tell you the different types or manufacturers of ammo I've run through it, but it eats it all flawlessly. I know when I pull the trigger, it is going bang and loading the next round. I love it. It is pure fun to shoot.
I have to ask here, in case somebody knows, but what made Kel Tec discontinue the 380 acp pocket pistol of all 380 pocket pistols, but continues to manufacture a .32? They are almost identical dimensionally. Is the .32 that much milder to shoot?

· Registered
9,018 Posts
Yes. Less recoil, one more round, last shot hold open, lighter & noticeably slimmer.

P3AT;

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tree Gesture
Hand Gesture Bumper Finger Revolver

I was doing my reliability testing. Put a lot of rounds thru it that day. It got to the point where the slide was actually slowing down but it kept right on ticking.

I loved the gun but I sold it to get the 1G P32. Don't regret it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts