P3AT slide stop?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by badchris, May 8, 2009.

1. badchris

badchris New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Not real familiar with this pistol...yet. Does it lack a slide stop mechanism? I'm cleaning one for a friend and it will not lock open with empty mag. There's nothing on the side of the frame I see either. Will be doing a fluff & buff this weekend, per the advise of the board  ;)
    Sorry for the Newbie question, but I could not find anything using a search.  :-[

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    The P3AT does not have a slide lock.

3. molachi

molachi Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Nope..The slide on the P3 does not lock back...

John

4. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't miss the slide stop much because I like the sides of a pocket pistol to be smooth and simple. That said, I'm surprised no one has tried to make their own. It seems like all it would take is notching the slide and mounting a lever with a spring to the frame. I'm sure getting one that would lock back after the last shot would be the tricky part.

5. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Here's a great video that really helped me the first time I field-stripped the p3at.  I'm sure many of you have seen it.  It does demonstrate the "thumb slide lock" method pretty well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU2eDPBes[/ame]

6. badchris

badchris New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Thanks all for your help!

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    A precision screwdriver or pocket knife works just as well for me. Of course with a paralyzed left arm te thumb stop method won't work for me.

I too wish KT would develop a slide stop. That is the only advantage my LCP has over my P3AT. In all other areas, my P3AT is the superior weapon. For me though that one feature doesn't rank the LCP over the P3AT. Gotta love those KTs. ;D

8. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I do wish the P3 had a slide lock. Be that as it may, I really don't miss it. My Beras 380 on the other hand is equipped with one. And that's great. For this little concealable it's not necessary. And you'll not miss it at all.

As for the Youtube clip, believe it or not, the owner's manual is very useful if it's read ;D. I had this pistol a while before I did. Duh!

No need to follow the Youtube directions. Nothing wrong but not necessary. Just put two fingers on each side of the pin and using a round  or better yet, a flat tip screwdriver, just pop the pin out. Just like the manual says. Saves on thumb nicks.

Isn't it wonderful what information one can find if one reads the owner's manual? But then again, that's the last thing I do. Men! Will we ever learn.

9. tommy51s

tommy51s Active Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I like to use my fingers to press the grip near the pin when pulling out the pin. I think that's supposed to help keep the grip from bulging and thus keep the hairpin spring in place. So the youtube method wouldn't work for me.

10. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    After visiting this link the first thought that came to mind was: why in heaven's name would anyone do this? The second though was: Wow! I want this.

Guys! We can't leave well enough alone! That's why we're always messing with our computers, our cars or anything else that doesn't move.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to think about it. Can't say I'll try it. But it certainly perked me up. Very well explained and very informative.

11. mtuttle02

mtuttle02 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Packer must have a giant set- there is no way I could bring myself to do an extensive mod like that! When I was younger my model cars that I built turned out pretty sketchy ;D

12. GunSmoke16610

GunSmoke16610 Guest

Apr 30, 2009
    I am wondering if a slide stop would actually cause more feed issues?

13. billjohnso20

Dec 7, 2008
    My P3AT has no feed issues. It has been flawless out of the box. I did the F&B just to do it.

OAN, I would love to do this mod and have considered it on more than one occasion. However, with the paralysis in my left arm, I just do not possess the dexterity to achieve this mod. I would have to pay someone to do it for me. That person would be Packer but with the issues he has had and his subsequent departure from KTOG, that ain't gonna happen either. As stated in my first post, this is the one and only point in which my LCP surpasses my P3AT. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain KT will never develop a 3G P3AT. If they did, I would gladly pay for an upgrade on my 2G.

14. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Bill, are you saying that the slide lock is the only good point the LCP has over the P3AT?  Of course the price could not be one. I've seen some that are outrageously priced. If so, I'll stick to my Kel-Tec.

15. billjohnso20

Dec 7, 2008
    Yup, I paid $340.00 for my LCP in June of 2008. I paid $275.00 for my P3AT in January 2009. My P3AT is more accurate, 100% reliable as compared to 95% after a F&B on the LCP, and has a better trigger. My P3AT is with my when the LCP is in the safe. I usually carry my P3AT as a bug to my PF-9 but with my PF-9's slide back at momma's, my LCP is the bug to my P3AT.

16. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Packer must have a giant set- there is no way I could bring myself to do an extensive mod like that! When I was younger my model cars that I built turned out pretty sketchy   ;D[/quote]
    I'd say Packer was pretty dedicated to the cause. He contributed a lot to this forum before he left. Even the things he tried that did not turn out so well in the end provided a lot of useful information.

17. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slide stop?  we don't need no steeenking slide stop.

;)

18. mtuttle02

mtuttle02 New Member

May 4, 2009
  19. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Thank you "Rat76"!

I just tried that and it works.

Although both ends of the lighter appear to be the same size, like you, I found it only works with the lighter upside down.