P3AT Slide Peening

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by OnTop, Feb 26, 2011.

1. OnTop

OnTop New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I am pretty new to Kel Tec and I just notice some protrusion of metal around the guide rod opening. Can someone please list the proper procedures of contacting and returning the slide (or complete firearm) to Kel Tec for service. Do I have to pay shipping both ways or Kel Tec will take care of shipping? Do they just sent out replacement slide for exchange?

Thanks

OT

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If your slide needs replacement, you can ship it back to them with a note detailing the problem. They will return ship the replacement. You can call the service department on Monday if you want to discuss it with them first.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/

3. OnTop

OnTop New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for the help. Will be contacting Kel Tec early next week.

OT

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to ktog.

A little proud swell (~0.010" rise) would not be a problem, and will stop growing.  It becomes a problem when the diameter of the hole increases.

Have you search here for the past post related to peening?  
    If so, does yours fall into the serial number range where the problem existed

5. OnTop

OnTop New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for the info.  The serial number is JOTxx (is the digit between J&T an "O" or a "0 - zero"?).  I can't tell which one is which.  Does Kel Tec uses the letter O in the serial numbers? If the digit is a number 0, is this falls in the range in the above post?

OT

6. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    They only use the number zero and not the letter O. That makes your gun in the serial range where this phenomenon occurred. Like JFB said, unless the diameter of the hole is increasing enough for the inner recoil spring to come out, it shouldn't cause any problems.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, we saw only a few where that actually happened. This was almost surely improper hardening of the slide in that area. If it is not near the failure point, keep on eye on it to see if the diameter of the hole increases. It may have finished peening. You might polish your guide rod with some fine grit paper and make sure you lube it. A thin film of grease might be better than oil. I always do that anyway. KT will absolutely replace the slide if and when you like, should it become an issue.

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My J2Rxx developed the peening problem. I was able to slow it down or perhaps even stop it by use of one of those nylon washers that were available from one of the KTOG members. Eventually got around to calling Kel-Tec service about the issue, they had me send the slide in for inspection (the peening was very obvious) and in short order shipped me back a new slide. Good luck with yours.

Bill K.