P3AT Slide Melt (Dehorn) and Cera Coat Finish

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Doc_S, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

I thought I'd post a few pics of my P3AT with slide melt (Dehorn) and Cera Coat Finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

God Bless,
    Doc S

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Looking good....

The textured finish looks VERY functional

3. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

It closely resembles the grip and is very hard.
    The finish (Cera Coat) is made specifically for firearms. I tried using it on a P11 I ported and melted.
    [​IMG]

I really liked the way it turned out, so decided to try melting the slide on my P3AT and refinishing it with this, since the blue was very thin in places...

To cure the finish, it has to stay in the oven at 350 for 1 hour...

You can use 2-3 coats. I chose 3 since it gets a lot of picket Pocket ;) carry...

I'm thinking about doing a few of my other weapons. I even had a few people asking if I would melt their slides and refinish them in this stuff... I may just do that!

God Bless,
    Doc S

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ?

5. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    I guess I didn't read what I posted...
    Correction made. ::)

God Bless,
    Doc S

6. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Very nice!   [smiley=thumbup.gif]  How is it done? ... the melting and the finish.

7. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

To melt the slide, you grind off the edges and angles. This makes it look like a bar of used soap so the edges don't hurt you when carrying close to your body.
    Heres' a pic of the P3AT before melting the slide...
    [​IMG]

You can see the sharp edge on the top part of the slide...

After you grind it down ( you can use a file, dremmel or other methods), You finish it in whatever method you choose.
    I initially used cold blueing, but didn't get the results I was looking for, so I searched until I found Cera Coat. I liked the way it looked, the hardness of it and moisture resistence.
    I ordered the finish from Sportsmans warehouse (the cheapest place I could find it) and followed the directions.

Basically, be sure there is no rust or oil on the metal parts you intend to finish. Spray a coat on and let it set for 30 minutes. After that you can apply an additional coat and let it dry for 30 minutes as well. If you really want a tough finish, you can apply a 3rd coat (which I did) and let it dry for 30 minutes. After that, you preheat the oven to 350. Insert the metal coated parts and bake for 1 hour. It's very important the heat is maintained at 350 and that it stays in for exactly an hour, or your finish may look a bit red...
    Hope I answered your question...

God Bless,
    Doc S

8. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Thanks Doc! I appreciate the info.

9. Doc_S

Doc_S Well-Known Member

Packin Pastor,

My pleasure :)

The toughest part is working up the courage to start...
    The nice thing about Cera Coat is that you don't have to polish up the slide after you've taken the metal off. The Cera Coat adhears to the slide even better if it's not polished. If you choose to Chrome, Nickle Plate or Blue, you will need to polish the slide up before going that route.

I do have a P11 that I sent to Jack to nickle plate. He does excellent work for a more than reasonable price.
    I've seen some folks melt their slide, polish it up and send iot to him for the plating...
    I wish I had melted the slide of that P11 before sending it in...

God Bless,
    Doc S

10. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    That coating looks thick. Did you have to go through any sort of another break-in period?