P3AT slide cost?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sniper7369, Jan 4, 2009.

1. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Hey all, my 2G 3AT is peening pretty bad. I put a #10 nylon washer in the end of the slide and it seems to have stopped peening, but I'd like to get a new slide for it. I'd rather not be without it since it's my daily carry BUG. What does a plain blued slide cost directly from KT?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    IIRC, last I checked a fully loaded slide with all the internals was $110 total.

-Scott

3. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    IIRC, last I checked a fully loaded slide with all the internals was $110 total.

-Scott[/quote]

Thanks. :) Just wanted to know how much I'd need to put aside each week before I order one.

4. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Slide peening fix pictures

Just thought I would put these up just in case anyone buys an older 2G with a peening slide. The washer seems to be working pretty well, I've put about 300 or 400 rds through it since I put it in and the peening does not seem to have gotten worse.
    [​IMG]

Regular # 10 nylon washer turned down to fit tight in the end of the slide. It's a nice snug fit on the guide rod.
    [​IMG]

The washer in the slide. It's pretty thick, so I think it should hold up OK until I get the slide replaced. Reliability is still 100%
    [​IMG]

IIRC I paid about 4.00 for a bag of 100 washers. I had originally tried a #4 steel washer, but the steel washer started to get dished out by the springs and guide rod. They didn't have any #4 nylon washers, so I just got the #10 and turned them down with sand paper on the end of the drill until they fit.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Unless there has been a recent price increase, a blued slide is $70, parkerized is $85 and hard chrome is $90:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1191550476

If you call the service department and explain that it is your only gun, they might charge your credit card, send you a new slide with a return envelope for the old one, then credit your card for the purchase price when they get the old one back.  It is not their policy, but they have done it on occassion.

6. If you have a bad slide- KT will replace it free-.

But based on the pic you posted in the other thread-  your slide is not peening.  Yes there is a slight ridge at the rod hole-  but I would not call that peening.  This is peening:

[​IMG]

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Agreed.  We saw quite a few that slightly raised like that and nothing more.  I'm not at all sure that is a "peening slide" either.  Of course with the washer in there, you will never know.  My son's looked like yours and he put a washer in it.  It's still there as he has not bothered to exchange the slide either.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: Slide peening fix pictures

NAS beat me to it. That is NOT peening but rather the normal ridge. But the washer obviously doesn't hurt.

For those that aren't wanting to turn things down themselves princemoore has some JFB washers all ready to go for just a few bucks too.

-Scott

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Since we had two essentially identical threads, I combined them.

10. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    AH. I thought the way my slide looked that it was peening. :-[ So you guys think it'll be fine if I just leave it as is? I was just kind of paranoid about my recoil spring flying out at an inopportune moment. (since it is one of my carry guns)
    Oh, sorry about the separate threads, I had a bit of a brain fart on that. :-[

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'd leave your washer in it and shoot it until you pass it on to your heirs.

-Scott

12. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    I'd leave your washer in it and shoot it until you pass it on to your heirs.

-Scott[/quote]

That's good to hear, I've been worried about it enough that I've been shooting it a lot less lately. :)

13. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    If anybody has a 2nd Gen slide that is peened (any or other condition) and it is sitting in your parts box doing nothing because Kel-Tec sent you a replacement, please let me know. I may want it!

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    to determine if the spring would have gone through.  measure the hole and rod, compare the clearance to the wire diameter.  the details of how to measure using a triangle of printer paper wrapped around the rod can be found in a search

I took a slide that was near failure, the clearance was near wire diameter so the spring could be forced out.  I then drilled the guide rod hole so the clearance was 2 wire diameters, thus the spring would fall through.  Then inserted the nylon washer that princemoore has and the gun has worked fine, with no signs of wear.

the clearance to the rod is nil, but since the nylon gives when the rod tilts during recoil, it is held exactly in the center and feels much smoother

Something to look out for.  KT designed the pistol so that the spring goes solid at the same time the slide hits the frame.  by adding a thick washer, the spring will go coil to coil before slide hits the frame and put a kink in the springs.

Again a search will find the details of the measurements and how to look and see if the spring went solid. it is basically look between the grip and the slide and observe whether the slide makes contact when it is pulled back with minimun force

(sorry for the delays in posting, motels internet connection is poor)