P3AT Sight Upgrade?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOUSER52, Sep 15, 2010.

1. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I wanted to post this to get some opinions on what I have in mind.

First of all I know that the 3AT is meant for carry, up close shooting and self defense. I also know that it is not meant as a range or target gun.
    Being in my late 50s and wearing progressive lens glasses I just can't see the front sights easily. I want to see them, if only for peace of mind or that once in a lifetime precision shot.

I searched and read a lot of great ideas about aftermarket sights both on this forum and others. Some are as simple as glueing on a front sight all the way up to sending it off and having machine work done to the slide with tritium sights installed. I really liked the idea on here where the Hi Viz sight is installed using gasket making material.
    The best idea for me was on the LCP site where a guy filed off the front sight(bump), drilled and tapped the slide and then installed a threaded fiber optic shotgun sight. The pics show that it looks good and leaves the slide really clean looking and neat.

The POI will be effected some and I will have to adjust my sight picture to compensate but that will just a learning curve.

I now have everything in motion to install one of those threaded sights on my 3AT. A freind of mine owns a machine shop and is going to mill the front sight (bump) off, drill and tap the slide. I have also ordered several different sights from Brownells to try, a few fiber optics, each from a different manufacturer and a brass bead. All of them are threaded and will be easy to swap out.

I was thinking... what if I don't like it or for whatever reason I wished I hadn't done anything. A new slide from KT only costs about $80 if I want to go back original. Also, I can always use a threaded plug to fill the hole in the slide and use it as a front sight. It should be as easy to see as the original.

If any of you have done this or would like to comment on my idea I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

2. What about the laser option? I am in your shoes and can barely see the "bump" on my 3AT, so I added a Crimson Trace Laser to mine.

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm older than the OP by a ways and have no trouble at all seeing the front or rear sights on my P3AT. I also don't wear bifocals or trifocals. I use mono vision in my glasses (right eye corrected to 20/20 and left eye set up as reading glasses).

I did as many others did here and painted the front in white and then the rear I did a vertical line in white, thus creating sights that are very similar to the Heinie Straight 8's or the factory sights on the Kahr CW9.  http://www.kahr.com/dtlimg_cw9093.html

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  5. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    [quote author=JFB link=1284576431/0#3 date=1284582831]there is a post in the faq/vip where a HIVIZ was glued to the front sight
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176589143/0

That's the post I first read and that got me to thinking, which is either dangerous or expensive. :)

I had a couple different kinds of prescription glasses made but they just didn't work out. I either couldn't see clearly or they made me feel drunk and sick. :'(

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I started out far sighted (can't see things far away) now I'm both far and near. I tried bi and progressive and could not get use to them.

I had the left lense so I can see clearly far away and the right for near. basically so I could see the road and see the dash, but it works great for shooting IF i don't take to long. the target is clear and the sights come on to target clear. The only problem I have is night driving, the right and left get to fighting

7. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    If you couldn't see things far away, you were nearsighted, not farsighted.  No big deal.  So it sounds like you're using monovision too. My eyes occasionally get to fighting but for me it doesn't happen at night, it happens after I've been reading while sitting on my patio where it's pretty bright.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-[

near, far. never made sense to me anyway ;D

9. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I also have a difficult time aligning the sights, and in a situation, I would be in trouble, so I went with the CT laser, and am very confident, and happy with it. Jim <><

10. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Got my 6-48 tap from Brownells today and taking it to the machinist tomorrow morning so he can tap the slide to accept the sights.
    Maybe he can get his work done on the slide pretty quick then we'll see how the sights look.