P3AT / Sig P238 size comparison?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by LH2, Aug 7, 2009.

1. LH2

LH2 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Are there photo comparisons of these two side by side?

I'm looking for something that carries about as light as my P32, but packs more punch. Has to pocket carry easier than a PM9 or J-Frame though. I have a J-Frame for certain pockets, but didn't like the PM9 for pocket carry as much.

Should I bother to consider the P238? It seems larger than the KT/LCP, and I'm still not sure about the SA for pocket carry being ideal. Also considering Kahr P380.

2. Moon

Moon New Member

Aug 16, 2008

3. LH2

LH2 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks Moon! Forgot about Bobo's pocket auto chart and there it is.

I think the weight, plus the height of the P238 backstrap rules it out for me. That's before dealing with the SA issue.

I guess it's a question of whether the .380 Kahr is full of bugs or not. I like the size and trigger...

4. Moon

Moon New Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Ya gotta go with what feels right. :cool:

5. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I have a P32 as well, and carried it faithfully until I got hold of a Colt Mustang Pocketlite, essentially the same design as the P238. I switch between my P11 and the Mustang these days. Never found the weight of the .380 to be a distraction, and the metal frame cuts the recoil to something much more manageable than a polymer .380. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand because of the weight. It is not a heavy pistol. The height of the P238, IMO, is negligible by comparison. The sights and accurate range are superior to the 3AT as well. The SA "issue" is a personal preference thing, of course. I carry it in condition 1, cocked and locked, and have never slipped my hand in my pocket to find that the weapon has become un-safetied. BTW, the Kahr is the same height as the P238.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Pocket carrying a SA Condition One has so far kept me away from this neat little pistol.