P3AT Shooting Wide  N High

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by shurshot1, Jan 3, 2009.

1. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Went to the range yesterday and put another 90 rnds through my P3AT. I'm trying a variety of reloads and loads so I didn't expect things to be perfect but I noticed something thats been pretty consistant with other sessions.

To maintain consistancy, I'm shooting everyting at 10' medium speed fire, all double handed (I do a variety of holds when shooting proved ammo). I had just put 'Nitesighters' on and thought I would try some 'unscientific' aiming. Yeah, the 'Nitesighters' did help and have improved my groups but when I put the sights on the black the hits were all high left. That was consistant with previous sessions as well. I have to aim about 3" low to the right to get any accuracy at all. When I finally found the sweetspot my groups were not bad. I worked on my hold but that had no serious improvement. I'm at about 300 rnds now and it should be broken in. With the rudimentary sights on the P3 I doubt if it will improve....this gun just shoots high left. Has anyone else found their P3 favoring a point of impact? This problem could be serious if some shots had to be taken in a split second. Cheers, Shurshot1

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Re: P3AT Shooting Wide  N High

Yeh, Mine shoots low & right about 6" @ about 20 ft. I just compensate as best as I can. Good Luck. Tom :)

3. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008

I would try from a benchrest or sandbag. Take a buddy, let him try it the same way. I'm guessing, big hands? Are you using the 2nd joint of your finger on the trigger? Just a thought.
    Norton

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Take a look at this chart and see if it helps. It help me and my buddy correct some problems we were having.

Rick

[​IMG]

5. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006

Possibly this will be some consolation.

Putting rounds 3" high and left will puncture Mr BadGuy's right atrium (heart) so effectively that all the cops on the scene will be jealous.

10' I think is an excellent distance to work on for basic self defense shooting with the P3.

Try a firm grip and firm SMOOTH crisp confident trigger pull.  Dryfire with snap caps a lot to get quick smooth crisp and confident.  Several times a day maybe 10-15 good pulls each time to build muscle memory... but do not rush or play footsie with the trigger, pull thru the break... smooth firm confident.  You'll improve.  Look at the chart above too.

I usually point shoot at high speed in 3-5 round strings from that distance in what is sometimes called 3/4 hip position and sometimes in half hip.  Learning to effectively point shoot built my performance confidence which helped with target shooting too.

6. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008

the chart was the first thing i thought of... it is amazing how reliable it is ...

7. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008

Hey, thanks bunch for all the advice. Re first part, yeah I often shoot with second knuckle ....thats standard with the Glock which I have been shooting regularly for a long time. Guess I automatically push my finger through!!

The chart is great and tells a lot.. Will concentate on it. Riverkeeper has good advice as well....took me about 5 months to really get what I wanted with the Glock and have only been out three times with the P3. Thanks to all...plenty for me to work on with this little beauty.

Cheers, shurshot1