p3at safety

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by firecap56, Mar 5, 2008.

1. firecap56

firecap56 New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I just bought my p3at and love it! I now feel comfortable carrying concealed. My question is about the safety. I would like to carry with one in the chamber (DUH)! Alot of you said you carry in the pocket and thats where I want to carry. Is the safety such that it won't discharge in my pocket. I'm not familiar with the internal hammer safety!
    THANKS!!!

2. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

It won't fire unless you put at least 5# pressure against the trigger. That's why it's strongly suggested not to put anything else in your pocket or carry in a holster instead.

3. firecap56

firecap56 New Member

Mar 5, 2008
  4. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

...and by holster, I'm referring to a pocket holster, if that's your preferred manner of carry...

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Let me second Hotwheels...

A holster that covers the trigger.

6. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I’ll third that!

A good pocket holster will do a number of things for you: cover the trigger; break up the outline of the gun, so as not to ‘print’ and scare the sheeple unnecessarily; keep the pistol oriented upright to make it easier (and safer) to draw; hopefully keep dirt and lint out of the barrel, though your mileage may vary somewhat there; and in some States, keep you out of legal difficulties (in Ohio, you’re allowed to carry concealed in your car, so long as it’s in a holster). I think you get the point. Damn good investment any way you slice it!

7. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I highly recommend an Uncle Mike's size #2 in pocket holster. It covers the trigger guard completely unlike the DeSantis Nemesis that is also very popular. That doesn't bother a lot of guys, but the Mike's are like $12 and I feel very safe with it.

8. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    And as gets mentioned a LOT I reckon - lol - depending on which State issued your CCW permit and which State you happen to find yourself armed in, a holster is a requirement for concealed carry.

Just my opinion and choice, a pocket holster adds very little extra weight and always using one makes that just one less thing to worry about. As was just nmentioned above, a covered trigger is also a second level of safety with one in the chamber (the only way I carry).

9. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    When I first started carrying my P3-AT concealed I had the same concern, so I talked with KT and asked if there ever was an incident where there was an accidental discharge without the trigger actually being pulled (with a round in the chamber), they said there never has been, it's virtually impossible for this to happen based upon the way the firing mechanism is constructed. A fully covered trigger, in a holster, is the only way to go while carrying with a round in the chamber.