p3at safety

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johnnyb, Jul 19, 2009.

1. johnnyb

johnnyb New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Does anybody make a pistol the size of the p3at with a safety?

2. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

3. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    My P3AT has 3 safeties. One is released by the trigger, another is my IWB holster that covers that trigger. The last safety I was born with. A brain!

Seriously, though. This is a great little pistol and has a manual safety.

Berretta 3032 Tomcat

It's a .32 not a .380. $350-$400, shop around

[​IMG]

eek! That sig is so expensive!

4. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The only .380 about the same size as the P-3AT that has a manual safety is the SIG P380. All others use the same safety as double action revolvers - a long firm trigger pull.

Bobo

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    You don't need no Steenk'n safety on a P3AT.

Like Bobo pointed out, the Kel-Tec trigger system is just about like a S&W, Ruger, or Colt DA revolver, and they don't have no Steenk'n safety either.

Because they don't need one.

If you don't pull the trigger, they won't go off.
    Simple as that.

As to tiny pocket guns with safetys?
    There is more danger with them cocked & locked in your pocket then there is with the K-T not cocked, and not locked!

rc

6. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    I think a little bit of explanation may be called for. My understanding is that the KelTec trigger/firing pin is not like many single action or single/double action striker type systems where the firing pin/striker is under full spring tension with a sear keeping the firing pin from hitting the primer of the round in the chamber.

In these kinds of firearms the trigger just moves the firing pin sear a little bit and the firearm discharges. If you go and look at lots of single action striker semi-autos they really need a safety or two to prevent an accidential discharge. Many common types of such safetys are grip safeties, thumb activated safeties, or trigger related safeties.

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    +100000 to what he said.

8. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State
    The FEG PA-63 and its .380 cousin use a SA/DA action. I own an FEG PA-63 in 9mm Mak. The Wather PPK and Bersa Thunder .380, I believe are DA actions. All of them have fairly robust safeties/decockers and are just slightly larger than the P3AT.

If I really wanted a self defense, low cost, and lightweigth semi automatic with a safety, I would opt for the FEG PA-63 in 9mm Mak or its .380 cousin or the Bersa Thunder .380. The FEG PA-63's in 9mm Mak use to be available for well under $200 (actually at one time for just a little over $125).

9. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009

[smiley=shocked.gif]  That is kinda like saying a Cadillac is slightly bigger than a Honda Civic. Not to mention double(bersa) and triple(ppk) the weight of the P3AT.

Here are 2 .380s (Kel Tec size) with safeties. However, both are cheap guns and may need a little work to be reliable enough for ccw.

Jimenez JA-380 (small and lightweight, I'm getting one of these!  ;))
    [link]http://concealed-carry.5u.com/index2.html[/link]
    [​IMG]

Cobra CA380 (small in size, but heavy as the ppk]
    [link]http://www.concealgun.com/item/1739_Cobra_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Cobra_CA380CB_Freedom_CA_.aspx[/link]
    [​IMG]

10. vinpar092

vinpar092 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    +100000 to what he said. [/quote]

I definately agree with this. Are your concerns with pocket carry without a holster. The Bersa is heavier with DA/SA system but I feel is a very nice gun, I love mine. Definately not as convenient as my P-3AT.

Vince

11. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    The downside to a manual safety is remembering to flick it off when the bad guy needs "correcting"

12. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    If you shoot guns with safeties that becomes as automatic as pulling your pants up after taking a dump. You do it without even thinking about it.

I simply can't imagine anyone forgetting to take the safety off say, a 1911 when it comes out of the leather and on target.

Or hunting with a pump or semi-auto shotgun. You flick the safety off sub-concisely as the gun comes to your shoulder.

rc